weight, image, possibly humiliation

Options
I was walking at lunch and a news crew was filming and asking for permission to film people walking around the area. It reminded me of something that happened to a gal I worked with a long time ago. She was walking around in a similar environment and a camera man asked for permission to film her. He said they would air the footage on the evening news. She was excited to be on TV and told almost everyone she knew to watch that night. It turned out that the story they were airing was about the obesity epidemic and they showed nothing but her gut and her butt as she walked by. What would you do, how would you feel if this happened to you?

Replies

• Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I always wondered if they asked permission to film that or if they just randomly went out filming people.

I have always watched and thought how humiliating that would be to see yourself on tv like that with them talking about the obesity rates or a what not to wear type of thing.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    She signed waivers to be on TV. They also interviewed her but asked questions completely unrelated to her weight. I think they told her the subject was a downtown renovation project. After they interviewed her they got some more footage of her walking around the area.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ouch, that is terrible.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I think that would be my worst nightmare come true .. or one of them anyway.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's messed if they mislead her that way. I'd never be on TV. Eff that. I'd sue if a Tv network/show pulled that on me.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    That definitely sucks if they mislead her.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you're image is fair game when you are in a public place and cannot assume privacy. Makes me think most of the time those news clips don't ask for permission anyway.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    That's horrible! I can't believe they wouldn't at least give her some kind of idea of what they were doing.

I think that could definitely do some damage to someone's self esteem :(
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    i agree, completely wrong to mislead her!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I always wondered if they asked permission to film that or if they just randomly went out filming people.

I have always watched and thought how humiliating that would be to see yourself on tv like that with them talking about the obesity rates or a what not to wear type of thing.

I agree.

They should at least be honest with you.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont think that would be upheld in a court of law. Permission to show but not exactly know what kind of program!! :grumble:

I'd sue! :explode:

Not that I would give then permission in the first place, as I'm camera shy :smokin:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow that is SO wrong.

at least her face wasn't shown. half of me would use something like that as motivation to lose weight and the other half of me would start putting my evil genius mind to work on how to get back at them for being misleading.

the only time something like that happened to me was in college when a few guys were supposedly doing a film project about our campuses. i later found out the project was an excuse for them to talk to girls with large breasts. turns out the camera was zoomed in to my boobs.

after i found out i saw them later at another campus party. i ended dumping my beer over the interviewer's head and kicking their tripod so the camera fell and broke :laugh: lucky for me (and the rest of the world) i figured out better ways to express my frustrations as i got older
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    wow that is SO wrong.

at least her face wasn't shown. half of me would use something like that as motivation to lose weight and the other half of me would start putting my evil genius mind to work on how to get back at them for being misleading.

the only time something like that happened to me was in college when a few guys were supposedly doing a film project about our campuses. i later found out the project was an excuse for them to talk to girls with large breasts. turns out the camera was zoomed in to my boobs.

after i found out i saw them later at another campus party. i ended dumping my beer over the interviewer's head and kicking their tripod so the camera fell and broke :laugh: lucky for me (and the rest of the world) i figured out better ways to express my frustrations as i got older

Really??? I dont blame you for your reaction Mesha, even though you have got a mighty fine pair of bazooka's and should stand proud!! :bigsmile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i just spit my skittles out @ bazookas :laugh:

i was hugely self conscious back then because the rest of me was teeny tiny. plus for some reason when you grow up with big boobs, the general assumption is that you're sluttier than the average or small chested girl so by the time i got to college i was ready to karate chop people :laugh:
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I was walking at lunch and a news crew was filming and asking for permission to film people walking around the area. It reminded me of something that happened to a gal I worked with a long time ago. She was walking around in a similar environment and a camera man asked for permission to film her. He said they would air the footage on the evening news. She was excited to be on TV and told almost everyone she knew to watch that night. It turned out that the story they were airing was about the obesity epidemic and they showed nothing but her gut and her butt as she walked by. What would you do, how would you feel if this happened to you?
    Ouch! That seems pretty cruel. I know they weren't doing it to hurt her, it was probably just a means to an end, but still, that's got to be embarrassing for her and damaging to her self-esteem. I have wondered before when I see those obesity programs zeroing in on people as well.

I think I'm going to walk around in public with my gut sucked in from now on!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really surprise me, TV has become a freak circus and people who appear on TV are "prostituted to entertain the masses". I really hate TV, I don't think much good come of it.
    She should sue them, name and shame them as well.