stocking up!

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
So as most of you know this is my first baby and have no idea what's going to go on after my little man is born SO I have developed an unhealthy addiction to grocery shopping and such!! I feel the need to stock up on EVERYTHING like I'm never going to leave my house after he's here!!!! I still have 4 weeks but my freezer, fridge, and pantry are all jam packed to the max and I just keep buying more!!!!!!

Some of you will laugh but I have been waiting at least a month or so for christmas cards to come out and now that they have I already bought all I need and have half of them filled out and ready to send off after I get baby's pictures made and put in them!!!

To add to it, my hospital bag has been packed for a few weeks already and all my baby stuff has been washed and set up for awhile now too.. I kind of think I'm going crazy LOL

Most of you know how much of a planner I am and as of right now I have no idea when Jaxon will come so I guess I feel the need to be ready in as many ways as possible. Please tell me I'm not crazy or going overboard!?

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So as most of you know this is my first baby and have no idea what's going to go on after my little man is born SO I have developed an unhealthy addiction to grocery shopping and such!! I feel the need to stock up on EVERYTHING like I'm never going to leave my house after he's here!!!! I still have 4 weeks but my freezer, fridge, and pantry are all jam packed to the max and I just keep buying more!!!!!!

Some of you will laugh but I have been waiting at least a month or so for christmas cards to come out and now that they have I already bought all I need and have half of them filled out and ready to send off after I get baby's pictures made and put in them!!!

To add to it, my hospital bag has been packed for a few weeks already and all my baby stuff has been washed and set up for awhile now too.. I kind of think I'm going crazy LOL

Most of you know how much of a planner I am and as of right now I have no idea when Jaxon will come so I guess I feel the need to be ready in as many ways as possible. Please tell me I'm not crazy or going overboard!?

I don't think that you're going crazy. As I posted on another thread, we are following the Jewish tradition of not bringing any baby stuff into our home until after our son is born. Now that is driving me crazy. I feel so unprepared. Besides, you never know when you might go into labor. I think it's great you're ahead of the game!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

If you start cleaning things to the point of ridiculousness, it's called nesting. What you're doing now I think is called being really, really, really well-prepared :smile:

My only thought is that while your fridge, freezer, and pantry are full, are there quick meals you can heat up/make? That was the biggest challenge for me because I didn't feel like I had a lot of time/ability to actually put something together (even just making a sandwich). Anything you can pop in the microwave and then scoop out onto a plate is good.

Oh, and make sure your car seat is installed!

The Christmas card thing is pretty awesome, though. I need to get on ordering my cards, but frankly I feel like I don't have a good picture to use :embarassed: Definitely no family pics, but I don't even have a good one of our son by himself! I am not usually a huge fan of the photo cards, but my family (which is the vast majority of my Christmas card list) loves pictures and actually gets upset if we don't send them. Maybe we can do regular cards with a picture in it.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    LOLOLOL I wish I prepared as much as I'm preparing now w my 1st pregnancy. each time I would do a little more. be a little better at having more things in stock.. I think it's a good idea. And it will not hurt to have back up. Yes you will be able to leave the house but you probably won't want to. lol I know I didn't in the middle of decemeber. cuz weather here is crappy, cold, snowy, i panic when I have to drive in snow. even if it's a few flakes. lol
    The food part I think is important especially easy things u can just heat up. It will help you A LOT. you won't always want to order food and u probably wont' have the desire to cook dinner.. And you will be hungry... Especially when u breastfeed.

I ordered and did my own Christmas cards today :), We put on our tree over the weekend. and my basement is stocked up with several boxes of presents. and a lot of diapers. Which I never did previous times. I know i'll be happy when the baby comes.
    Next on the list is to pack my hospital bag but i might wait till dec for that since im not due till the very end..
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

If you start cleaning things to the point of ridiculousness, it's called nesting. What you're doing now I think is called being really, really, really well-prepared :smile:

My only thought is that while your fridge, freezer, and pantry are full, are there quick meals you can heat up/make? That was the biggest challenge for me because I didn't feel like I had a lot of time/ability to actually put something together (even just making a sandwich). Anything you can pop in the microwave and then scoop out onto a plate is good.

Oh, and make sure your car seat is installed!

The Christmas card thing is pretty awesome, though. I need to get on ordering my cards, but frankly I feel like I don't have a good picture to use :embarassed: Definitely no family pics, but I don't even have a good one of our son by himself! I am not usually a huge fan of the photo cards, but my family (which is the vast majority of my Christmas card list) loves pictures and actually gets upset if we don't send them. Maybe we can do regular cards with a picture in it.

Oh girl before we became friends you missed all my cleaning spells!!!!!!!!! I've been nesting for probably 3 months or so! Lol!!! I do have quite a few quick fixes! And have made a bunch of freezer meals to thaw and pop in the microwave! Lots of snacks and cereal as well! I love grab and go stuff anyway so I figured I would need them after baby comes!

And that's what I'm doing, just regular cards and ill just be sending a pic of Jax with it :)
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

I don't think that you're going crazy. As I posted on another thread, we are following the Jewish tradition of not bringing any baby stuff into our home until after our son is born. Now that is driving me crazy. I feel so unprepared. Besides, you never know when you might go into labor. I think it's great you're ahead of the game!

Haha well thanks for reassuring me! Ahhh I could not or would not be able to do that!!!!!!!!
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am completely opposite. My c/s is tomorrow and I have to be at the hospital at 5am. My bag isn't completely packed yet, my DH doesn't have a bag packed. We put the carseat in the car today. We just bought a changing pad today. I have laundry all over my kitchen table, I desperately need to vacuum, my freezer/fridge/pantry is empty, and I have no idea what we are even having for dinner tonight. I don't really care either because I'm uncomfortable as snot and I'm not getting off the couch.

Be glad you did your extra preparation. We are both totally normal, even at the opposite ends of the scale.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    LOLOLOL I wish I prepared as much as I'm preparing now w my 1st pregnancy. each time I would do a little more. be a little better at having more things in stock.. I think it's a good idea. And it will not hurt to have back up. Yes you will be able to leave the house but you probably won't want to. lol I know I didn't in the middle of decemeber. cuz weather here is crappy, cold, snowy, i panic when I have to drive in snow. even if it's a few flakes. lol
    The food part I think is important especially easy things u can just heat up. It will help you A LOT. you won't always want to order food and u probably wont' have the desire to cook dinner.. And you will be hungry... Especially when u breastfeed.

I ordered and did my own Christmas cards today :), We put on our tree over the weekend. and my basement is stocked up with several boxes of presents. and a lot of diapers. Which I never did previous times. I know i'll be happy when the baby comes.
    Next on the list is to pack my hospital bag but i might wait till dec for that since im not due till the very end..

I put my tree up a few days ago! !! I'm ready lol!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    I am completely opposite. My c/s is tomorrow and I have to be at the hospital at 5am. My bag isn't completely packed yet, my DH doesn't have a bag packed. We put the carseat in the car today. We just bought a changing pad today. I have laundry all over my kitchen table, I desperately need to vacuum, my freezer/fridge/pantry is empty, and I have no idea what we are even having for dinner tonight. I don't really care either because I'm uncomfortable as snot and I'm not getting off the couch.

Be glad you did your extra preparation. We are both totally normal, even at the opposite ends of the scale.

Ahhhh I'd be pulling my hair out from being so overwhelmed! !!!!!!
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nesting overload is what I call that!! Ahhhh... I too have started to think about these things and pretty soon I will start doing them and I have 5 months to go. Trying to hold out so badly to buy buy buy.

P.S. I think nesting is fabulous :)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You make me very anxious. Our due dates are so close together that I feel like I am behind. You should come to my house and get me ready. I still haven't washed any of the baby clothes yet or packed a bag. This is my second time and I should know better especially since he came early.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    For the last probably 6 months I have been stocking up on non-perishable stuff. We for sure have enough cat food, dog food, toilet paper, paper towels, condiments, toothbrushes, laundry soap, toothpaste, body wash, soap, diapers, wipes, and many other things. I wanted to make it so if hubby did have to go to the store it would just be for little things here and there. I have stocked up on some easy meal things, so hopefully his grocery store runs will just be milk and bread kind of thing....and you are awesome for being so prepared!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going overboard - I have a similar type personality to you, and it's driving me nuts that I haven't been able to do as much as I would like. We have our last shower this weekend so I wanted to wait to see everything we got and make decisions on returns/exchanges before I opened/washed anything! I have a feeling the next few weeks will be full of washing and organizing...I also want to go ahead after this shower and purchase the remaining items we need, but I may have to hold off because my in-laws haven't given us anything yet and I feel like we should wait to see what they might do. Can't wait forever, though! I haven't really been stocking up on food or other items, but chickybuns, the dog food is a great idea :)
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Nesting overload is what I call that!! Ahhhh... I too have started to think about these things and pretty soon I will start doing them and I have 5 months to go. Trying to hold out so badly to buy buy buy.

P.S. I think nesting is fabulous :)

Haha!! Thanks girl!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    You make me very anxious. Our due dates are so close together that I feel like I am behind. You should come to my house and get me ready. I still haven't washed any of the baby clothes yet or packed a bag. This is my second time and I should know better especially since he came early.

Aw! You still have some time! I just feel the need to get it all done NOW!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    For the last probably 6 months I have been stocking up on non-perishable stuff. We for sure have enough cat food, dog food, toilet paper, paper towels, condiments, toothbrushes, laundry soap, toothpaste, body wash, soap, diapers, wipes, and many other things. I wanted to make it so if hubby did have to go to the store it would just be for little things here and there. I have stocked up on some easy meal things, so hopefully his grocery store runs will just be milk and bread kind of thing....and you are awesome for being so prepared!

I've been doing that too!!!! And for probably the last four months or so I've been going to Sam's religiously to stock up!!!!!! And I'm with you, I've been doing it so the hubs doesn't have to get too much :)
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    I don't think you're going overboard - I have a similar type personality to you, and it's driving me nuts that I haven't been able to do as much as I would like. We have our last shower this weekend so I wanted to wait to see everything we got and make decisions on returns/exchanges before I opened/washed anything! I have a feeling the next few weeks will be full of washing and organizing...I also want to go ahead after this shower and purchase the remaining items we need, but I may have to hold off because my in-laws haven't given us anything yet and I feel like we should wait to see what they might do. Can't wait forever, though! I haven't really been stocking up on food or other items, but chickybuns, the dog food is a great idea :)

Same here!!! It drove me crazy before I'd gotten all the stuff done that I've been doing! The anticipation of what we would get at our showers and what we would still need to get and all, the thought was just overwhelming lol! My next shower (and last till after baby is here) is also this weekend and luckily I've known pretty much everything we're getting for the past few weeks and that's just been a major load off!!!!!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    To make others feel better, with my first I did not "nest," nor did I really have much stuff ready to go. Part of it was that we didn't know whether we were having a boy or a girl, so the few clothes I had in his dresser were pretty unisex. (And honestly I kept him in the hospital shirts and hats with just a diaper, wrapped in a hospital blanket, for the first couple of weeks.) His room was all set up with a crib and whatnot, we had a changing table set up downstairs, and we had the car seat bases installed. Honestly I found that I had to place things/set things up as I went along. For example, I spent so much time downstairs in my house that I didn't even open his dresser and just had clothes available so that if he spat up, I could change his clothes easily.

I did not, but wish I had, cooked ahead of time and frozen meals to be nuked easily. I did make a run to Costco but for some reason only bought frozen stuff that needed to go in the oven for a little while, which was just too much effort!

This time I think I will be better prepared, except for the clothes thing, since again we are not finding out the sex beforehand.