Endurance Runners: Help me figure out a good food....

Options
aldousmom
aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
to eat while running (trail running).

I used to eat peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread, but for the last year or so I've noticed that wheat makes my head itchy and scabby, so I try to avoid it (obviously) but for long runs (15 miles or more) I need something easy to eat...not too crunchy or dry, not too sticky or sweet. my pb&j was perfect, except for the obvious allergy.

I usually cut them in quarters, and put two each in snack bags and put in my hydration pack pouch.

So, I need something similar. I tried mini-clif bars but they're WAY too dense. there is no wheat free bread that is the right texture that I've found.
What else works? I do bring fresh dates along, too, but I need something more substantial than a constant sugar-bomb.

Replies

• pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know in Thrive he's got some make your own energy bar recipes that are really good.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ah yes I first saw your post and thought wow that's easy my go to food is peanut butter and date sandwhiches but you have covered that one off in your allergy. I would make my own energy bars too or a banana is always a good option
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I know in Thrive he's got some make your own energy bar recipes that are really good.

yeah, I have that book! thanks for reminding me. lol! I'll try one of those. I've got 3 wks until my race, so a little time to try stuff.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    Ah yes I first saw your post and thought wow that's easy my go to food is peanut butter and date sandwiches but you have covered that one off in your allergy. I would make my own energy bars too or a banana is always a good option

I'm going to try the homemade energy bars, thanks for reminding me of that. I also am allergic to bananas and avocados, so all the stuff that would have good nutrition for running are off to me! meh! the wheat is the least serious, thank goodness.