Online dating 'body type'

Options
BondBomb
BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
Ok I will make this short and sweet.
If someone says their ideal body type is 'athletic and muscular'. And I am only 'average'. Do I bother to answer?

A little backgound - I sent someone from eHarmony my '5 questions' and one of them was 'what body type do you prefer in a partner'.
Thoughts?

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing on eharmony board. You might be average on MFP but you in the real world, average is a bit over weight. That what everyone told me so consider yourself athletic.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Why not just message the guy and find out if he is into you?

Ask for what you want in life. A good guideline for all of us.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    Why not just message the guy and find out if he is into you?

Ask for what you want in life. A good guideline for all of us.
    Because eHarmony doesnt work like that. Its a guided communication to find out more about the person. Once we get to open communication thats not a problem.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP i'd consider you as athletic not average.

i might message the person if the rest of the profile looked like a good fit and he wasnt continually bringing up how he wants a thin partner. everyone has preferences but sometimes those preferences are jut good to haves rather than must haves. you never kknow unless you reach out
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep communicating with him. Everyone has an ideal person in their head, however there are many more things to consider than just physical appearance. Go for it. :)
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    OP i'd consider you as athletic not average.

i might message the person if the rest of the profile looked like a good fit and he wasnt continually bringing up how he wants a thin partner. everyone has preferences but sometimes those preferences are jut good to haves rather than must haves. you never kknow unless you reach out

This exactly.
    Don't discount yourself because you don't think you fit that option for "body type". What one person considers average could be what another considers athletic/slim/whatever. You never know!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 12 and have average. I'm 5'8 so I carry my weight well.

If I saw a guy saying he preferred thinor athletic, I probably wouldn't bother but that's me. I workout a lot and and have athletic legs but some parts are still soft. :blushing:

But like everybody said, some folks perceive thin/athletic/curvy/few extra pounds etc differently. Go for it because you never know!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    My first thought is: Why would you ask a question like that?? :huh: I can't imagine ANY guy coming back with 'average' as average sounds so blah!!

Just because he says he prefers X doesnt mean he wouldnt consider Y!! I mean, my body type preference is stocky with broad fireman shoulders, but I wouldnt discount someone who was 'average'!

I think if you ask a superficial question, you'll get a superficial answer. From most people!

How about carrying on getting to know the guy on a deeper level? It may be that you two have lots in common. So yeah, head for the open communication part :bigsmile:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused here... you asked him his preference about women when obviously you're concerned where you fit on the Eharmony scale? Do you think you might be trying to self-sabotage yourself by being the first to mention your own insecurities? Just something to think about, especially since there are a million other things you could be talking about to get to know one another (I've been on Eharmony - there are lots of question choices).

Oh and by the way, I would definitely say you are athletic.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I agree. Especially with those guns you are displaying in your current profile pic.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Ok I will make this short and sweet.
    If someone says their ideal body type is 'athletic and muscular'. And I am only 'average'. Do I bother to answer?

A little backgound - I sent someone from eHarmony my '5 questions' and one of them was 'what body type do you prefer in a partner'.
    Thoughts?
    The best solution to this problem is just to make sure you have recent full body pictures that your matches can see. If they like what they see, they will communicate. I wouldn't try to guess and second guess about these body type labels used in online dating because there are too many interpretations of what people mean by average (when the average American dress size is more than "a few extra pounds") and curvy, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't waste one of the first 5 questions on something like that - where I'm letting my own insecurities rule and trying to take myself out of the game... not that I'd ever go back on eH. I hate how it's set up and would stick with OKC or POF where communication isn't so controlled and indirect (but I'm glad I don't need any of those right now).
  • BondBomb
    Options
    I'm a little confused here... you asked him his preference about women when obviously you're concerned where you fit on the Eharmony scale? Do you think you might be trying to self-sabotage yourself by being the first to mention your own insecurities? Just something to think about, especially since there are a million other things you could be talking about to get to know one another (I've been on Eharmony - there are lots of question choices).

Oh for sure there are some of my own issues in that question. Ultimately I want someone that prefers my body type. I married someone that did not and he made it painfully obvious through our short marriage. It's just something I want to know upfront. Typically guys that like thin or athletic are not very open to anything outside of the Hollywood standard.
  • BondBomb
    Options

I agree. Especially with those guns you are displaying in your current profile pic.
    And thank you both! I'm working on it!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Oh for sure there are some of my own issues in that question. Ultimately I want someone that prefers my body type. I married someone that did not and he made it painfully obvious through our short marriage. It's just something I want to know upfront. Typically guys that like thin or athletic are not very open to anything outside of the Hollywood standard.

After the multiple choice questions and the must haves and can't stands, the next round of questions is open-ended where you can create your questions or choose from the canned questions. If it's that big an issue, ask an open-ended question about it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

See, I only date average/ athletic guys and there is no shortage of those type of guys wanting curvy/ thicker (but athletic) chicks. I know you said typically but I'm honestly surprised how many fit guys don't prefer fit 8% body fat chicks.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

I would consider you athletic, but I know that when I was on Match (in Shreveport) most guys there put "athletic" to mean "thin and hot."

I mention the town because I've lived in many places and in each place the "general male culture" seems to prefer different things. When I was in DC, my hourglass curves were fabulous. In Shreveport, I heard no end of "I thought you were thinner" or "wow you're pretty broad"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Mine is listed as "used up"
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Mine is listed as "used up"

I was wondering if you survived Sandy hadn't seen you in here for a bit. Glad to see you made it.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    See, I only date average/ athletic guys and there is no shortage of those type of guys wanting curvy/ thicker (but athletic) chicks. I know you said typically but I'm honestly surprised how many fit guys don't prefer fit 8% body fat chicks.

Most guys want a chick with some meat on their body. I can't tell you how many times since I've put on some weight guys say that. I've actually been shocked by it.

I mostly hear that from tall, broad-shouldered & athletic dudes. They don't want to break a chick if you know what I mean....
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You asked him a question and he answered it seriously. So that's his ideal body type, but it doesn't mean he's not willing to date anyone with a slightly different body type. Of all the women I've dated, I'm sure their ideal body type was something other than skinny fat with a beer gut and no butt, but they still seemed to like me.

Try not to get so wrapped up in body image, you may not be happy with it but that doesn't mean you're not attractive to other people. And don't ask questions if you can't take the answer you might get.