Thanksgiving Recipes/Ideas

Options
I'm sure we all struggle around this time of year -- at least I know I do!! Do you ladies hold yourselves accountable for what you eat during the holidays or do you just go with the flow? I make the majority of the food every year for the holidays, but I always have to keep in mind I am not the only one eating, so I try to incorporate things that are healthy, yet yummy - which can be quite a challenge! Any advice? Or any recipes any of you would like to share that would help us all stick to our goals?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We make some traditional favorites. The last few years since most in our family are either diabetic or watching there weight we try to make them the least calorie as possible. Use splenda instead of sugar, use fat free where ever possible, low fat where ever possible so at least we don't have the thousands of calories that the high fat, high sugar items would be. This year I will try to really work out a lot prior and maybe the day of. I don't know if that is realistic but I can give it a try. I plan on having a huge veggie tray on hand while I am cooking, I am a bit concerned about the holiday fast approaching but maybe with the combination of being on here and staying on task, and having a plan I / we can do it.. ;)
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it all boils down to portion control.

Allow yourself to indulge and enjoy your favorites but scale down the portion size and eat more of the healthier things (white meat turkey) and less of the fattier things (candied sweet potatoes).

I am hosting for the first time ever this year for the in-laws and I plan on making a BUNCH of food which is traditional for my side of the family.... I'm a nervous wreck LOL.

But I know that I can enjoy a 'little bit' of everything without gaining 10 lbs by the end of the night. :) Plus I"m hoping that all of my running around and entertaining will burn some of those calories!
  • mom4ia
    Options
    That's a great idea. I've been told everything in balance and you can't go wrong. Just do overdo it and make sure to limit yourself. Not a bad plan!! Thanks!!!
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My sister usually cooks everything for Thanksgiving so I don't have much of a say when it comes to her cooking so that is bad for me but I am happy to say I will just pick at the food so hopefully I won't go over my calories because I don't want to gain weight for my daughters christening on Saturday after Thanksgiving. God be with me don't let me overeat on thanksgiving. Well atleast the Turkey is baked. Lol