Maternity Photos

mainesm
mainesm Posts: 107 Member
Whose done them? Who is going to do them? How did you get your DH on board??

I found my photographer and I asked my husband when he would like to get them done. He was completely unsupportive about getting them. Even had the nerve to say "I thought you didn't like how you look right now? Why do you want to get photos taken?"

I don't even know how to talk to him right now. I am so upset. But then again I am sitting here wondering, do I really want photos done? Or is it just the trending thing and I want to have photos to show off on Facebook?

Thoughts?

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    We had them done. I don't know if you saw, I posted some on my blog I just started about this whole mommy journey. :-)

When I told my husband, he was like, "Ok..." I don't think he particularly cared one way or the other. And we were lucky because he is friends with a photographer who ended up doing it for free (although we tried to pay him).

If your husband is concerned about the cost, you could have a friend take the pictures. They wouldn't be "professional," but so what? You could still make a point of doing your hair/make-up/finding just the right spot, etc. (Which kind of goes to your husband's point about not liking how you look. I have had lots of unflattering pics taken of me while pregnant because I felt "blah" and hadn't made any effort to look much better, you know? If you're done up, you're gonna look good and have positive feelings about how your look.)

For me, the most important thing was wanting to remember this time (just like our wedding). And (beyond sharing with friends/family on my blog and Facebook), I really love some of the pics enough to want to put them up in our home. I like the idea of showing them to my son, and saying, "You see that bump on mommy's tummy? That's you in there." :-)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I have a friend from college who just did hers and shared on FB, and sent me a FB message saying I should do them too. Honestly hadn't even thought of it. Hubby isn't necessarily keen on it, and I can't really say I am either. Like OP, I don't know if it's a fad (which I don't subscribe to) or something I may look back on and say "I'm glad I captured that moment in time." Guess I've still got some time to decide since I'm only 27 weeks... :wink:
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    I got some done at a Target portrait studio, though I think an outdoor connect-with-nature photo shoot would be awesome to do as well. I bought a new outfit for the occasion, a black fitted shirt that clearly showed my bump while camouflaging the rest of my body "flab", and did my hair/makeup (which I don't usually do). I think just that "pampering" alone made it worth it. My reasons for having them done:
    This is my 3rd child (and probably my last) so I wanted to preserve this moment as I will never again experience this time in my life (I never got them done in previous pregnancies, but I did do informal photos to show my progress, so it's nice to compare how big I was in other pregnancies- much larger than this one ;))
    We haven't done family pics in 3 years so though these showcase my pregnancy, we got some great family shots too
    I have felt more self-conscious about my body this time around because of my weight loss success; the photo shoot made me feel so pretty, something I don't see when I look in the mirror right now.
    I really wanted a way to bond with my kids, to make them feel special and part of this pregnancy. They laid their hands on my tummy, kissed it, and hugged all over me for the photo shoot. Sometimes you need some "fake" happy to bring back some real happy in your life. (If it's just you and hubby, they will probably do some staring into each other's eyes or kissing of the bump shots, which are great for bonding you two)
    We got a great deal through Groupon for the photo shoot, so bargain shop. With Christmas around the corner, most portrait studios are doing free sitting fees, discounted packages, etc. If money is an issue, have hubby give it as a Christmas gift to you, or as someone else said, do some informal pictures having a friend take them. I am so glad we got them done, and though I don't think you'd regret NOT doing them, don't let the "I hate how I look right now" be the excuse not to do them.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    I avoided taking pictures at all cost when I was pregnant w my 1st.lol I felt like and looked terrible. I probably have a total of 5 pictures from that pregnancy. I kinda wish I had more. So w my 2nd I just stuck to taking a monthly or occasionally weekly photo just for myself to see the change.I didn't even develop much of them. just a few to put in the baby book.doing the same this pregnancy.. I never even considered doing a maternity photo shoot.
    Unless you really really want them go for it.. Showing off on FB is so highschool. LOL If you will actually display them or hang them up then go for it. but if you will just spend the money for a professional and put them away in the chore I'd save the money for a photo shot once the baby is born..
    YOu can always have a friend/family/husband go with you to a pretty place and do the pictures yourself and save yourself the money... You don't have to be a professional to take a pretty picture. lol Just get some ideas of the poses you'd want to do before you go.. my personal opinion...
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I never did them with my first, and I doubt I will do them this time, either. Just not my thing, and my husband wasn't/isn't into them, either.

However, I have seen some that were very tastefully done (like Jenny_Rose's). I've seen some with gratuitous bare belly shots with mom either in a bra or with her bare breasts covered by hands (hers or dad's). DEFINITELY not my thing.

If you're going to do them, go to awkwardfamilyphotos.com and check out some of the worst. It'll give you some ideas on what not to do!

I'm with mellynat, though - I avoided cameras like the plague the first time because I was so huge (I was big not counting the pregnancy). This time I think I will do some more regular photos just to see the change, but I don't plan on sharing them on Facebook.
  • Yeah, I'm torn - they are kind of like 'engagement photos' which I've never understood much either. I think they are nice and cute, but at a time when (most) people are already feeling cash strapped due to the med bills, newly added gear and in a few months, day care the added $500-$1000 seems nuts.

That being said, if one of my talented (or not so talented even) friends wanted to take a few in a park, I'd appreciate that a lot as a shower gift or whatever...

I mean, anyone with a $200 camera, photoshop and a decent sense of aesthetic these days can take nice enough shots due to technology.

:::In no way meant to belittle actual photographers, I understand how those are beautiful and substantially nicer!:::
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    I have almost no pictures of me pregnant with my first two babies. Now that I (and they) are older, I wish I had taken some.
  • bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    I did them and so happy that I did. At first hubby wanted to save the money to do newborn instead but he saw I much and wanted them and came onboard and now he cannot stop looking at them.
    I say do them if you can, you will have them for a lifetime.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    I have my maternity photoshoot on Saturday this week. Hubs is totally fine with it, but he wasn't gung-ho about it.

I just want to record myself as I am now. I'm not sure I want to have another child, so this may be the only time I get to document my body like this.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    I had them done with my first 2 kids. Our first set with my oldest son were very artistic, think sheets pulled to accent the silhouette, but not being able to see my face. We also did some that were more traditional portraits as well. I put each of them into the maternity book (I was also religious about taking pics every month even when I felt enormous) and then framed one for my son's dresser. He still has it in his room. With my second son, we did the outdoor ones with all three of us and those were much more subdued from the first set, but also very different. Again, put them in the maternity book and framed one of the 3 of us for my son's dresser. We're also doing them with this pregnancy. Since it will be a winter babe and my photographer does not have studio space, we'll probably go to a local art museum or theater when it's not in use and use the public spaces for some family shots. I didn't always enjoy taking them at the time, but I like looking back and being able to reflect on each pregnancy. It's defintiely a personal choice. My photographer is one of my best friends, so not only did I not have to pay full price for them (I do her accounting work in exchange for photos), I/my family is very comfortable with her, so that made everything much more relaxed and comfortable.
  • mainesm
    mainesm Posts: 107 Member
    We had out shoot yesterday. My husband finally came around... I have two of the photos up. Go look! My photographer posted two sneak peaks just hours after the photo shoot! My husband's last words before the shoot was "I don't think you get or will ever get how much I HATE photos and getting photos taken!!!" He was such a good sport tho and our photographer (a friend of ours) said he was so good, especially compared to other guys she has worked with. I am not sure what his problem is. The sneak peaks are AWESOME and he looks amazing!! I told him that and he replied "I look good in all photos, I just hate taking them." LOL he is such a cocky joker sometimes...

I can't wait to see the other photos. We've already booked our photographer for newborn shots. I told my DH that these will be mainly of baby. And maybe one or two of just our hands holding our little boy. I am not going to make him be in the shoots like I did for the maternity ones, but I have a feeling when the time comes he will be all over it. =)