Ideas for schooling/lesson area needed

TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I am trying to get some ideas on how to set up my riding area to make it more "user friendly" for giving lessons. I have about 5 acres and one section is in a nice area that would be perfect for an arena but I dont really have the monetary means to till up the grass, put in fencing, etc. Not only that, I dont really want to take that whole area of grass away since we need every last inch of grass we can get around here! At my old place, I had an old, falling down, round pen. It was in bad shape but it was still a contained area for lessons and the footing was FANTASTIC. I want to start giving lessons again and need to set up a safe, contained area but dont have a lot to spend to start up with. Does anyone have any budget friendly ideas for building a round pen or arena area?

Replies

• nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    At home I have an arena (unimproved footing - just the native ground kept mowed, 170x170, 3 rail wood fencing). At my nieces' where I teach her twice a week, we just have an area of the pasture she leases laid out as a dressage court - white cones with letters on them plus orange cones for the corners and jumps placed whereever I want them that day..

Works for us, but probably not a solution for a professional.
  • Anamaere
    Anamaere Posts: 60 Member
    could you mow and make an arena fence out of portable rail panels? it's cheaper than wood and can be modified into a roundyard if needed :) thats my plan for my arena in the future