First week SL

Options
Kuritaki1
Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
I am still learning about SL. I did my bench lift 70 ib (somehow I miscalculated the olympic size bar as 25 pound. My chest is still sore from this). Dead lift 65. Squat 55. I assume I will do the same lift for a week, and go up 5 pounds (or 2.5) each week. I went up my calorie intake on MFP. I am still scared of increasing calories. I am also scared of not to do my every cardio everyday (I have been doing zumba, swim, bike at least one hour 5 days/week). I read about SL and other blogs, and I understood that I was loosing muscle doing cardio and eating1200 cal a day.

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    hey welcome to the group, you should be adding weight each workout unless you failed your reps on the last workout :) so if you completed 5x5 at 55lb for squat next time you will add 2.5lb
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    Girlie100, Thank you. That is what I understand. I am scared to increase weight because I do not know if I will make it or not. But I will try.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Girlie100, Thank you. That is what I understand. I am scared to increase weight because I do not know if I will make it or not. But I will try.

I was scared to add each time also. I thought, no way can I increase EVERY TIME. But I decided to just try, and see what happened. So far I've been able to increase each time, just as the spreadsheet is line out, EXCEPT on overhead press. Tonight is my third attempt to do 55#. I'm hoping I can finally beat it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I was scared to add each time also. I thought, no way can I increase EVERY TIME. But I decided to just try, and see what happened. So far I've been able to increase each time, just as the spreadsheet is line out, EXCEPT on overhead press. Tonight is my third attempt to do 55#. I'm hoping I can finally beat it.

At some point, you WILL fail. When you do, feel good about it - it means you're pushing yourself.
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    Thank you, Susie Q for your reply. I hope your third attempt to 55# will be successful tonight. I did my #2 routine on first week today. I am really sleepy (I guess my small muscle needs that). I will keep trying to see how much I can increase the weight.
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    Tameko2, I read your instruction of SL for woman. Thank you for the posting. So when you fail, then you back the weight and stay? For how long?
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tameko2, I read your instruction of SL for woman. Thank you for the posting. So when you fail, then you back the weight and stay? For how long?

I too, just started my SL A past Sunday and will be doing the B tomorrow. I'd like to know about the failure too. Thank you Tameko2 for the post.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    So when you fail, then you back the weight and stay? For how long?

Untill you can complete 5x5 for that weight or 1x5 if its a deadlift
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I too, just started my SL A past Sunday and will be doing the B tomorrow. I'd like to know about the failure too. Thank you Tameko2 for the post.

Fail 3 times at that weight. After the third time, you drop 10% and try again from there (so if you are doing 100lbs, you drop back to 90, then go up if you complete at 90). I personally liked to use that moment to switch to using fractional weights - so from 90 I'd go to 92.5 then 95, rather than straight ot 95. (or even smaller amounts, if you have them)