Squat machine

kit_katty
kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
So I went to the gym and was given an intro buy a personal trainer. I asked him to show me how to do all the strong lift exercises as I've never used any of the equipment before. He showed me how to do squats on a squat machine, is that ok? I'm not sure how else to do that. I'm also not sure when to ask someone to spot me. Thoughts? Thanks!

Note: the track is on an angle for the squat machine, if that helps...

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    if you have a proper squat rack or power rack, I'd skip the machine. A track is never going to fit your own body's movements quite right. Its the same physical movement more or less. If you feel uncertain with the movement, start with box squats (put a bench or box behind you that's the right height and squat back til you feel your butt touch it then stand up - google it, there will be videos).

AS far as when to ask for a spot, depends on what equipment you have, but generally the only thing I need a spot for is the bench press, and the only time I need that is ...well it depends actually, on how I feel and how heavy I'm going that day, but you *shouldn't* need one until POSSIBLY the last few reps of the last 1 or 2 sets. So like, if you finish set 3 and think "damn this is really getting heavy and i'm getting tired" you'll want a spotter for sets 4 and 5. Make sure you tell them NOT TO TOUCH THE BAR - the only time they should touch you or the bar is if you are ACTUALLY failing. Otherwise keep their hands off. Otherwise for hte other stuff you really shouldn't need a spot.

Squats - squat rack will catch it or the power rack bars will catch it (just make sure you set them at the right height). If you squat down and can't get back up, just sit all the way down or fall forward, the rack will catch the bar and you can crawl out from under it.

Deadlift - if you can't lift it or you fail halfway, just drop it.

Overhead press - same, or if you set up the bars in hte power rack just let them take the weight for you and step back.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
    Thanks! I'll have to see if they have a squat or power rack...