Derp moments

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
Lifting is new to me, I just finished up my 3rd week of SL and this is really the first time I've ever tried anything like this. I had a really <sarcasm> awesome moment on Friday while lifting.

Went to do my bench press. I had written down my SL numbers I needed to do that night. Did two warmups with 65# thinking my working set was 85#. Warmups were kinda tough, but I finished and loaded up to 85#. One rep, ok. Second rep....bar hit my chest and it wasn't moving. I look around and there is one guy in the whole weight area and he is lifting next to me with his ear buds in. I'm sitting here with this thing on my chest I can't move thinking, NOW WHAT? So I proceed to ROLL it over my (enormous) chest, down to my lap. I sit up and look over and the guy is smiling at me, and says "You need some help?" *smdh* He helps me deload and get the bar off my lap. So I'm thinking WTF, shouldn't be THAT hard. Looked again at list. 85 was for squats...bench was 65#. Well no wonder.... :-P

Replies

• sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    LOL I think they call that the roll of shame. And since there is a name for it, I think it means you are not the first! Glad you're okay though.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Ah, the roll of shame -- lol. Definitely a derp moment, but we've all had those. I was lifting with partner once and he forgot to put the lock on his side of the bar when he was squatting -- all the plates on one side fell off, I have NO idea how it didn't end more horribly than it did since he should have completely over-balanced and fallen.

Then there was the time I racked 20 more lbs on one side of the bar than the other without realizing it until after I started squatting and almost destroyed my left hip. Goood times.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think we all have these moments. I remember once mixing up my bench and row numbers. One was 60, one was 65. Bench was supposed to be 65. I did 60 and was all excited for how easy it was. Then rows were crazy hard. I felt discouraged until I rechecked my numbers. Derp.

Then I added up the plates wrong once for squats. I was supposed to be at 75. But I added a 10, a 5, and 2.5 lb plates. I even argued with husband about the weights he was adding for his work set, saying mine was 75, and arguing about how much he needed to add. He went along with it. Later, I realized my mistake, and he accused me of trying to kill him. He kids, sort of. Double derp moment, since he went along with my bad math.

I swear I can do basic math. Promise. Just not in the gym. Apparently.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options

Basic math in the gym is HARD! I can't tell you how many times I just stand and stare at the plates while calculating in my head. :noway:
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    lol! I have a home gym and I did that the other day but my boyfriend was on the opposite end of the house! I ended up having to scream at him to help me get it off:laugh:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yesss the roll of shame.
    Happened to me once too.
    And I drooped 20 kg plate on my feet,
    and I performed 5x5 squats with bar loaded 5lbs more one one side

thankfully not all at the same day...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    and I performed 5x5 squats with bar loaded 5lbs more one one side
    Oh yes! I did that once. Not the full 5x5, since I alternate with husband. But one full set of 5, I had a different weight on one end than the other. Oops.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Basic math in the gym is HARD! I can't tell you how many times I just stand and stare at the plates while calculating in my head. :noway:

That's me too! You should have seen me trying to figure out 100 lbs.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

That's me too! You should have seen me trying to figure out 100 lbs.

Me three! or ...four! or whatever. Why are the plates so HARD?! (PS I know why, its because in lbs they are incremented really weird. In KGs its less weird - its 5- 10 - 15 - 20 instead of 10 - 25 - 35 - 45
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    I literally just wrote down on a piece of paper my 1) working set weight, 2) how much I need to add to get there and 3) what HALF is so I know for each side.

It's a sickness.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I did this program as a circuit instead of straight sets. For the first 5 weeks. Major derp.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahaahah!! I think they call that the "roll of shame" LOL.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough chest for the Roll of Shame to be a problem there, but it's hell going over a pierced navel. :sad:

I've learned to be less stubborn and quit early if I think I'm gong to fail. And I've learned to shift my hips and stomach to avoid rolling over my piercing. :blushing:
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Just had my very own derp moment - I've been struggling with my bench so i racked up, cracked out my 5 sets and I was YAY! Concentrating on my form is really paying off, this is SO much easier.

Yup, I'd got my sums wrong and instead of adding 2.5kgs I'd deloaded 2.5. :blushing: . I wouldn't mind but I was flat on my back mentally high fiving myself lol.