YOU got great gams! 11/14

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hmmm...does anyone work their calf muscles??? Most of us forget they are there! We take for granted...oh they get worked out when I run, jump, cycle so what is the big deal? Not like my abs! Why not give great shape to your legs and make your 'game' better no matter the fitness exercise you choose and build on these MUSCLES: gastrocnemius, soleus and flexor digitorum...but doing some SEATED CALF RAISES!
YOU can also do standing as well but each exercise emphasizes each muscle a little differently!

YOU can do seated calf raises on a machine at the gym or at home on a chair with some dumb-bells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbyjNymZOt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNfR5cnabZo

Peace,
WW

Replies

• oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    jump rope! for me, it is a calf killer (so i do it 3 times a week)
  • Jeno1024
    Jeno1024 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For fear of having chicken legs - I work the gams!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Since I naturally have large calves, I would much rather work them down than "up". :laugh:
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You can do calf raises off the edge of a stair too. Burn city. This gives you the down motion, Verde. It has also been suggested that whenever you walk up the stairs do a calf raise each stair or first stair do 10 and each stair after reduce by one.

I did 6 sets of calf raises with 20 seconds for each rep off the edge of a stair.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Do regular squats, stay in this position (either at top or at squatting) turn your toes out, lift heels
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Ms Verdemujer this is for shaping not to build necessarily. You know like dfinition but you may have it due to genetics...some have to work at it harder then others.
    I like the burn. These also make sure you have strong muscles so you don't tax the achilles tendon...not just for beauty.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of seated calf raises, but I do do standing ones every morning and night while I'm brushing my teeth. :smile:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Since child hood, I have never owned a pair of knee high boots - they never fit my calves. It's genetics. We girls are built like good old fashion peasant stock - the kind used for pulling the plow since a four legged one wasn't around to do it. I just live with the fact that they are big, big, big even when I'm skinny. No chicken legs on this girl, ever. But they are powerful. Since I walk the stairs every day, I'll start doing some more calf raises going up. That's a measurement I don't normally take. I'll add that to the list since going down in size would be about the only way I'd know if those muscles were in better shape. :tongue: My mom had calf muscles that a soccer player would love from all the running around the hills of Seattle as a kid. She still had them when she died at 74. But she never wore knee high boots either - they just don't fit.