Struggling

My LO is going to be 3 months on Friday and I am EBF. For the last few days I have been so hungry and eating everything in site. Not sure if she is going through a growth spurt right now or what, but my goodness. How am I ever going to lose weight when I am always hungry?! I definitely have enough fat in reserve so why do I get so hungry? I absolutely LOVE breastfeeding my baby girl, but just really need to figure out a way to lose weight at the same time. I had a hard time losing when I was nursing my now 3yr old as well. You always hear people say that the pounds melt right off of them when they nursed, but that has never been the case for me unfortunately. :grumble:

Anybody else feel the same way? Any tips or encouragement? :smile:

Replies

• all I can say is just keep going!! It doesn't feel like it now but what you are doing for your baby is so much more important than the weight loss. I felt the exact same way a few months ago... I felt like the weight was just never going to come off but honestly from what people tell me on here and from what I have experienced, you lose the most when you eat more!! and seriously, it has rung true for me! I dropped 11 lbs the first month of starting MFP and I was eating 1800-2000 calories per day and working out. Then I stopped working out as much and lowered my calories and GAINED 4 LBS!! then I plateaued for 4 weeks and then when I started eating more and working out more I lost 2 lbs in a week. Now I haven't weighed myself for almost 3 weeks because I am just trying to focus on eating healthy and working out for 1 hour each week but seriously, I can eat like 800 calories for breakfast and then down another 600 2 hours later. It is ridiculous how hungry I am!! haha!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I am more hungry now that I'm breastfeeding than I was when I was pregnant... I didn't think that was even possible!

Kellmoore is right, you are doing the best thing for your baby, don't let weight be your #1 priority.

But - one thing that helps me is just not having anything unhealthy in the house. I snack all day so having things like cheese strings and almonds around keeps me full.

I also agree with the whole "eat more to lose more" plan. Our bodies really are burning lots of calories, especially if baby is having a growth spurt, so make sure you are getting enough or your body might hold on to fat for milk supply.

:)
  • I agree with everyone--including the fact that i'm hungrier, too! I do find that drinking lots of water keeps me from reaching for the carb-y junk food, though. I know everyone says to drink more water, but I'm finding it makes a difference in my body, and it helps make milk.
  • Holly_Marie81
    Holly_Marie81 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks ladies! Right now I will just continue with my 2000 calories and aim to get at least 2-3 30 minute workouts a week. I use to be so good at drinking a lot of water and lately I have been slacking so I need to be better about that as well... not just for me, but to keep my milk production up. =)