If you knew then what you know now....

Options
2»

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I regret not sucking it up and spending more time with my father even though I hated his girlfriend. I lost him too soon and I will never get that time back.

:( I haven't gone through that situation, but I definitely think it would be hard to balance out your love toward your father versus your hatred for his girlfriend. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I would not have tried to make a go of it with the dairy farm,it could not continue.
    How that would have changed things is only a guess but would not have abandoned the parents and given how quickly they became dependent on me it is likely life would have unfolded the same way no matter.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I do have one solid regret though. When I was 16, at my first job, I was sexually harassed by a 30-year-old man who had a girlfriend and a child. He offered to do things with me that a 16-year-old should not be doing, and especially not be doing with a 30-year-old man. I regret not speaking up for myself. I wish I had. I just hope he isn't out there still harassing other girls.

I didn't think I was into the idea of regrets or no regrets until I read this. I completely relate. I was 17- 18 and this *kitten* was one of my bosses. It was so disgusting that I was in full denial for awhile. Like- I must not be understanding what he's saying because he has a regional accent, or the 4 foot berth I've given him when walking by must not be enough because he's putting his hands on me. This must be a huge misunderstanding? Eventually, I went to his boss and he promptly blamed me and did nothing. I regret not kicking some *kitten* if only to stop it from happening to others.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I do have one solid regret though. When I was 16, at my first job, I was sexually harassed by a 30-year-old man who had a girlfriend and a child. He offered to do things with me that a 16-year-old should not be doing, and especially not be doing with a 30-year-old man. I regret not speaking up for myself. I wish I had. I just hope he isn't out there still harassing other girls.

I didn't think I was into the idea of regrets or no regrets until I read this. I completely relate. I was 17- 18 and this *kitten* was one of my bosses. It was so disgusting that I was in full denial for awhile. Like- I must not be understanding what he's saying because he has a regional accent, or the 4 foot berth I've given him when walking by must not be enough because he's putting his hands on me. This must be a huge misunderstanding? Eventually, I went to his boss and he promptly blamed me and did nothing. I regret not kicking some *kitten* if only to stop it from happening to others.

I'm glad you tried to speak up! I was not so brave. I just wish I had been so other girls could be saved from the creep.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I would have dated the guy i met first out of the 6 guy room mates, who i knew liked me. Instead I went for the room mate I met last, who was lovely and a dream at first, but quickly developed into a very unhealthy relationship which nearly destroyed me.

I always wonder what my life this year would have been like had that scenario occurred!!
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I'm glad you tried to speak up! I was not so brave. I just wish I had been so other girls could be saved from the creep.

You know, even though there is the"should have done something for others" piece, it's probably not actually worth having regrets about it because then they still have an element of power. Gross. I need to reconsider whether this should really be a regret. For you, 16 is waaay too young for there to be any expectation of thinking for the societal good when you're being targeted and shamed, so don't think you weren't brave. You were trying to survive going to work, and you were being a kid.

But also- I'm not one for sitting back and feeling smug about other people's deficiencies with the exception that this guy had to have had an iq like 2 standard deviations below average, and he'll never grow up and out of that. Forever dumb and probably still has an unironic mullet. Ha.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I regret not sticking up for myself enough and listening to negative people who were just projecting their insecurities on me. People still do that to me, but I am not able to recognize it and handle it better. I'm enough and I don't need someones' approval...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have lifted weights - similarly to what I'm doing now - when I was 15. I was athletic, but just not strong enough. That's slowly changing over the past six months.

No regrets on my marriage, as I have two healthy, happy, beautiful, intelligent, athletic kids who mean the world to me. So that actually worked out quite well. :-)

Looking forward, I can see myself regretting my excessive travel schedule due to work, and hence not spending enough time with my kids. Perhaps also sacrificing my personal life for my professional life, since it's very hard to find someone and develop a proper relationship with my brutal travel schedule. So I'm hoping to restructure things a bit to correct that.

For example, I just bought a piece of land in the mountains and plan on building a cottage there in 2013. 100% wood, with a nice, big fireplace, a terrace for drinking coffee outside in the mornings. It's only 20 minutes from the kids' school, as well. I've always wanted something like this, and I'm planning on spending much more time in the CR once it's completed. More of the quiet, simple life. Perhaps grow my own veggies, etc.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

For example, I just bought a piece of land in the mountains and plan on building a cottage there in 2013. 100% wood, with a nice, big fireplace, a terrace for drinking coffee outside in the mornings. It's only 20 minutes from the kids' school, as well. I've always wanted something like this, and I'm planning on spending much more time in the CR once it's completed. More of the quiet, simple life. Perhaps grow my own veggies, etc.

--P

Oooooooooo that sounds fab!! Can I bring some friends?? :bigsmile:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

--P

Oooooooooo that sounds fab!! Can I bring some friends?? :bigsmile:

Yeah really lets have a single peeps house warming party :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    never turn down sex.... period, If I could slap my younger self I would
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I would have definitely started working out & eating right after my 1st son was born when I was 18yrs old instead of thinking I would have a great body forever without having to work for it- Ha...I learned my lesson & at least it is NOT too late to fix it !!! Other than that I wouldn't change anything b/c of the butterfly effect and b/c I wouldn't have my 2nd son either possibly.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    no.