Demi-Pointe Shoes. Yay/Nay?

What do you semi/pre-pros/others think about using these? Have you? Recommendations?

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    So I totally had to google demi-pointe shoes. I totally didn't even know there was a show in between the canvas and pointe shoes! Hmmm....
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    I'd never heard of them either. It is probably a waste of money. Most real ballerinas probably never see these, but I was just curious. Hehe. :)
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    I am certainly no expert or professional, but I was in ballet for over 20 years and progressed from slippers to demi-pointe to pointe shoes. I took baby steps and plan to do so again. Your feet are not built to hold your body weight on its toes. Training/teaching/molding your body to do this takes time. My only suggestion is that if you chose to go from slippers to demi-pointe ... make sure that the work you are doing is not specifically pointe work.

How do I say this more clearly ... ? Basically, if your class keeps you on pointe for the full session ... get pointe shoes. If you are working mostly flat, get slippers, if you spend less than 50% of your time on pointe doing BASIC pointe work - not advanced pointe work then a demi-pointe would work well for you. Do NOT get a demi-pointe shoes for advance pointe work, this can cause you injuries!

That is really my only insight on the matter. By the way! Good for you for looking into pointe shoes! How exciting! I can't wait to get back to that point (no pun intended) in my ballet skill. It has just been too long ... way too long.
  • shatteredsounds
    shatteredsounds Posts: 2 Member
    When I was still in pre-pro training, I never used demi pointes. We de-shanked our dead pointes and used those instead of ballet flats at one intensive I went to, but that's the closest I've ever been to actually using demis. Seems like a waste of money to me.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    I am certainly no expert or professional, but I was in ballet for over 20 years and progressed from slippers to demi-pointe to pointe shoes. I took baby steps and plan to do so again. Your feet are not built to hold your body weight on its toes. Training/teaching/molding your body to do this takes time. My only suggestion is that if you chose to go from slippers to demi-pointe ... make sure that the work you are doing is not specifically pointe work.

How do I say this more clearly ... ? Basically, if your class keeps you on pointe for the full session ... get pointe shoes. If you are working mostly flat, get slippers, if you spend less than 50% of your time on pointe doing BASIC pointe work - not advanced pointe work then a demi-pointe would work well for you. Do NOT get a demi-pointe shoes for advance pointe work, this can cause you injuries!

That is really my only insight on the matter. By the way! Good for you for looking into pointe shoes! How exciting! I can't wait to get back to that point (no pun intended) in my ballet skill. It has just been too long ... way too long.

Unfortunately I am far from getting en pointe. I ABSOLUTELY have this goal, but I have a ton of things to work on and lots of time to put in. Just shopping. :D
  • QueenoftheWillis
    QueenoftheWillis Posts: 16 Member
    I say don't get demi pointe shoes. They really aren't necessary unless they're required by a teacher. It's really just a waste of money. The people who need demi pointe shoes for exams are already en pointe and can just take the shank out of an old pair.