Finger-licking good! 11/15

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Mindless eating! Oh society is so good at this! We rush to get food (drive-thru) and then rush to eat it (in the car) then wonder why we don't feel satisfied or why we have indigestion and bowel issues! We eat in front of TVs too! Do we even realize what we just ate?

So my challenge not just for today but during the holidays....eat and enjoy your food...eat it like your last meal! Especially the treats you never get to eat the rest of the year...really taste the flavors and savour the textures! Relish the moment!

Remember the commercial for the soup...Mmmmm Mmmmmm good? Well, I want for you all (me too) to be able to say that and mean it!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    This is something I'm still learning, I worked in retail during high school and college, I learned to eat fast food, eat fast, and eat in the car because I always had to be somewhere (back at work, at school, to work, home, ect) I think this is where some of my obsessive compulsive behavior with food came from (when I crave something, I can't have it just once and be satisfied, like most people do, I will become almost obsessed with the food for many days and have to have it constantly) I never tasted the food I ate because I ate so fast, so I couldn't relieve the craving.

Here I am many years later and I can still eat like that. I have gotten better about paying attention (a few days ago my "I'm full" switch in my brain turned on before I actually finished my food!) and have been able to better control my cravings (at least until the hormones kick in, then all bets are off!)
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is absolutley awesome!

I have an especially hard time this time of year because not only is it the holidays, but my birthday falls in between. I am trying to savor the things i love, instead of inhaling them and not enjoying.

Awesome tip!

Love it WW!!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    You couldn't tell from looking at my diary, but I do. Every day. Sure, maybe its telling the different flavors between a couple different types of beef jerky (the Jack Link Zen Teriyaki has more of a teriyaki coating than the regular jack link, which has an excellent peppered jerky instead), but I'm tasting everything I eat, not just shoveling it down my throat. There are very few times I can't remember what I just ate. And I still eat whatever I want.

There's just one secret (SHHH! Don't tell anyone!): Know how many calories you're packing down your gullet. Master that and you master your weight.

(By the way, the cheeseburger club yesterday was freaking phenominal! I highly suggest trying one if you can budget in the calories.)
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I was always racing to finish my food first to be the first one to have seconds. I had the mentality if you or anyone did not eat seconds it was impolite. Watch out if I caught you not even finishing your first plate that was out right rude and insulting.

As a mom when my kids did not finish their plate (especially at someone else home) I found myself finishing their food too. I certainly did not want to be wasteful or ungrateful. But wait it gets better. My husband would scrape what he did not eat onto my plate before he disposed of his plate. Forget about eating for two, I was eating for five or six.

I still struggle in this area. Slowing down is not in my vocabulary. Please keep repeating it because eventually it will sink in.
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    I'm totally with you Lisa.
    My wife is only now understanding that when I say "no, I don't want to eat that" it really means "NO, YOU'RE MAKING ME FAT YOU CRAZY PSYCHO WENCH!". It really kills me to see leftovers. It's a super hard issue with me. I almost had the shakes the first time I forced the issue. It was a bad night and a bad fight.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    One of my basic goals is to be mindful enough whenever I eat to eat/chew super-slowly. For years and years I've been a fast eater, so I think resetting my default eating speed may take a little time. Sometimes, I'll eat for about ten minutes and then take a five-minute break...and then resume eating again. This reminds me to slow down.

Savoring food and eating slowly really does help me to feel satiated.

Have any of you realized that a food that you thought you liked was actually yucky once you ate it slowly and truly tasted it? (Or vice versa, lol.)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Have any of you realized that a food that you thought you liked was actually yucky once you ate it slowly and truly tasted it? (Or vice versa, lol.)

Yes Ms B many a times! '
    Mr AAK you are outta control making me laugh!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Beatrix, yes! OMG Several times. I think, "Why did I think that poop tasted good?"

"NO, YOU'RE MAKING ME FAT YOU CRAZY PSYCHO WENCH!"
    It is hilarious, Mr Aak how the people in your life actually get offended when you say no and really think you are saying,
    ""NO, YOU'RE MAKING ME FAT YOU CRAZY PSYCHO WENCH!" Or something similar.

You all make laugh, cry, and really think. Thank you!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Last night's conversation was about how I should really eat two slices of 380 calorie per slice pizza instead of one, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I explained how nearly 800 calories is nearly half of my daily allowance. So then she started about how it didn't taste salty to her so it must be lower sodium. By the time I came back with the sodium numbers (over 1,000mg per slice) she was all pissy and wouldn't listen to me.

This is why I'm fat.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I can't see these on my phone! And I miss them. You have great challenges and discussions. I struggle with food issues. I binge, I eat in secret, I don't eat, I starve myself, I deny myself - I've done just about everything except the throwing up. And sometimes I hate food. I hate cooking it, I don't like eating it and now I'm realizing by letting someone else cook it, I don't control how much salt and other stuff I'm eating that is added and not needed. Sigh. Holidays were a binge contest initiated by my Mom. She cooked huge amounts of food and we all ate so much. When I was 17, I actually went to the emergency room becuase I hurt so bad and she thought I might be having appendix issues. Turned out I had eaten too much. I don't hate the holidays so much as I want to hide from them. It's just a hard thing to do. I've learned to make smaller meals and to only really cook the stuff we like to eat. Sometimes, it's not much more different than any other weekend meal. Its a very different event than the ones from my childhood. Makes me wonder what my kids will think about it later in their life. The legacies we live and gift on to our kids.