Dome running starts next week!

Options
stubbysticks
stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
If you're a runner & have been trying to figure out how you're going to run outdoors when the Minnesota winter hits, you're in luck! MDRA is opening up the Metrodome for us runners as an alternative to the dreadmill. http://www.runmdra.org/index.php/programs/12-dome-running
DOME RUNNING STARTS ON November 20, 2012
Every Tuesday and Thursday through March 21 EXCEPT for November 22 (Thanksgiving), Christmas and New Years Day

MDRA sponsored Dome running begins on Tuesday, November 20, 2012.

Dome running is open every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., cost is $1. Every Tuesday/Thursday through March 21.

The MDRA turns the Metrodome into the place to be twice a week during the dark,cold and icy winter nights! Running is from 5:00-8:00 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday and it costs $1. 2 1/2 laps around the concourse equals a mile.

Enter gate D. You can park free in the upper Dome lot. If you have questions contact Rick Recker at612 375-0805

Replies

• jaimesoo
    jaimesoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you're a runner & have been trying to figure out how you're going to run outdoors when the Minnesota winter hits, you're in luck! MDRA is opening up the Metrodome for us runners as an alternative to the dreadmill. http://www.runmdra.org/index.php/programs/12-dome-running
    DOME RUNNING STARTS ON November 20, 2012
    Every Tuesday and Thursday through March 21 EXCEPT for November 22 (Thanksgiving), Christmas and New Years Day

MDRA sponsored Dome running begins on Tuesday, November 20, 2012.

Dome running is open every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., cost is $1. Every Tuesday/Thursday through March 21.

The MDRA turns the Metrodome into the place to be twice a week during the dark,cold and icy winter nights! Running is from 5:00-8:00 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday and it costs $1. 2 1/2 laps around the concourse equals a mile.

Enter gate D. You can park free in the upper Dome lot. If you have questions contact Rick Recker at612 375-0805

HEY thanks!! I might try this this year!!! would be nice to have a different option.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    No problem! I hear they also do rollerblading on Mondays & Wednesdays, but I don't have the details on that. I might be able to get more info on that this evening so I'll share if I do! (Crosstraining! lol)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Confirmed, there IS dome skating on M & W but it's a little more expensive than the running. I think $5ish for kids & $6 for adults. There is also skate rental available.

I went last night & it is AWESOME! 2.5 laps = 1 mile, & by 212-213 they have a conversion chart showing how many miles it is for a specific number of laps. I really liked it & am going to try to go once a week through the winter. Since I'll typically be with my work running club members, if you see someone who looks like me wearing this shirt:
    tc1mile-2.jpg
    ...please stop me to say hi!!! FYI I have chopped my hair off since this pic so I'll have a little stubby (see what I did there) ponytail. :laugh:
  • jaimesoo
    Options
    I went last night & it is AWESOME! 2.5 laps = 1 mile, & by 212-213 they have a conversion chart showing how many miles it is for a specific number of laps. I really liked it & am going to try to go once a week through the winter. Since I'll typically be with my work running club members, if you see someone who looks like me wearing this shirt:
    ...please stop me to say hi!!! FYI I have chopped my hair off since this pic so I'll have a little stubby (see what I did there) ponytail. :laugh:

How was the attendance? do alot of people do this?
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Yes jaimesoo! I went again tonight & loved it. There are a few running groups who meet up there so there were a good 50 people running by the time I left. My friend & I will be there most Tuesdays, but we're going this Thursday too in preparation for Saturday's Reindeer Run.
  • jaimesoo
    Options
    Yes jaimesoo! I went again tonight & loved it. There are a few running groups who meet up there so there were a good 50 people running by the time I left. My friend & I will be there most Tuesdays, but we're going this Thursday too in preparation for Saturday's Reindeer Run.

COOL! I am seriously considering doing Tuesdays (and Thursdays after the we finish a bible class the beginning of the year) so I will keep an eye out for you. :) Have fun on Saturday. I was hoping to do that one but have family in town and couldn't convince them to go!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    I may come next week or the first time. Tomorrow I am probably going to run outside instead since I am also running a 5k on (Moustache Run) Saturday.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    I may come next week or the first time. Tomorrow I am probably going to run outside instead since I am also running a 5k on (Moustache Run) Saturday.
    You'll see our club shirts represented there, I know there are a few peeps from Wells Fargo running that one. :bigsmile:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Is barefoot running allowed at the Metrodome? My gym does not have an indoor track and I am not sure how they would react to my running barefoot on the treadmills. I have only ran in shoes so far (minimalist shoes primarily) but would love to be able to try barefoot running on occasion before the snow melts.
  • hnjohnson007
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! I did not know about this! I wish I would have known about this earlier! I know what I'll be doing on Tuesday nights! I'll be strapping on my 5Fingers for the first time in way too long...we'll see how sore I am next Wednesday...
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Is barefoot running allowed at the Metrodome? My gym does not have an indoor track and I am not sure how they would react to my running barefoot on the treadmills. I have only ran in shoes so far (minimalist shoes primarily) but would love to be able to try barefoot running on occasion before the snow melts.
    I don't know, but when you go in just ask the guys who take the money if it's ok.

I think me & my friend will be there tomorrow night, maybe I'll see some of you there!
  • AliceAsya
    AliceAsya Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if strollers are allowed?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Does anyone know if strollers are allowed?

Not sure if there is a rule about this. I have never seen a stroller
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Alice, my guess is no but it doesn't say on the website: http://www.runmdra.org/index.php/programs/12-dome-running. There's a contact number on the site, try calling this guy:
    If you have questions contact Rick Recker at612 375-0805
  • jaimesoo
    Options
    So total FAIL tonight. I got messed up trying to drive to Gate D and ended up on the freeway. Ended up so frustrated that i just came home. What is the best route to get to that Gate from downtown?? I turned onto Chicago by the light rail... should I drive past that and turn at the next block. SO Frustrated! I will practice this next time so I don't mess up a good night of running. :/
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Bummer! There are a couple of ways to get in there. I usually come from 4th St. After you cross Chicago, you go around behind the dome & turn in to the right. Once you're in the parking lot, you follow the building to the end - you'll see where everyone else is parked. Entrance is on the SE side of the building.

From the St. Paul side, you can get in just north of 5th/6th St on 11th Ave...that is where I usually come out because I have to go back west to get home.
  • jaimesoo
    Options
    I will practice today so i can make it there easier tomorrow. :) THANKS!
  • jaimesoo
    Options
    i made it tonight!! SOOOO FUN! Thanks!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    i made it tonight!! SOOOO FUN! Thanks!

Glad you had fun! I will be back next week. No running for me this Thursday or Friday.