Baby Names

Options
So, my husband and I should have this down pat by now (it is our 4th baby) .... but when it comes to choosing a baby name, I want to break his kneecaps. Is anyone else feeling like this? He likes names that are more common/ popular, and I am into names that are old- fashioned but also unique. For a boy, he likes Jackson, and for a girl he likes Ava... that is it. My boy names include Levi, Abel, Silas, Judd ext. And my girl names are Willa, Caroline, Mara, Iris ext. Any suggestions to keep me from beating my husband with a bat? He said he is open to other choices, but he doesn't like any of mine. My other kids' names are Lilly, Gracie and Elijah.

Replies

• mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I can soooo relate!!!!! My husband is the same way. His top girl names were Jessica, Nicole, Jennifer. Ashley.Nothing wrong with the names just sooo common. He chose our first son's name which is Marcus. I was ok with that since I like his name. 2nd child I it was "my turn" and he actually agreed to Saphira.. 3rd child it was "his turn" and we were getting no where. i was sooo set on Azaria we were even calling her that (well my son & I) but DH couldn't get used to it. So I finally gave in on Jessika. but spelling it w a 'K' to make it a little different. I liked the meaning of it and considering it was his #1 name for all pregnancies when we were choosing names I gave in. We will most likely have 1 more child. and we have a boy name picked out that we both agree on. so hopefully it will be a boy. hahaha
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    We haven't started looking at names yet for this one, but with our first he was insistent on having a one syllable first name. I am not really sure why because our last name isn't really long. Oh well. I liked Ethan and he wanted Luke, so we compromised on his name being Luke Ethan because Ethan Luke didn't sound right to me. Btw- we didn't find out what the sex was with our first and now I don't remember what the girl's name was that we picked out. Maybe you guys could each pick out a name and one be the middle name like us. In hope this helps!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have one, but it's more of a "working one," still open to change.

I am insistent on naming my son after my grandfather (Gordon), but as per Jewish tradition, we could use the first letter "G" and still honor him. I actually like the name outright, but my husband will only go for it as a middle name. We also need to name after his brother (Jeremy). I know his family would be super disappointed if we didn't do something with the letter "J." The problem is neither of us really likes "J" names.

I actually do love Jacob and Jeremiah, but my husband hates them. (My perfect name, for the record, would be Jacob Gordon.)

Husband is all for "Jay" as a middle name. We may go with that, but it seems so, I dunno...like we could definitely do better.

His mom is gunning for "Jayden," but neither of us really cares for it...it's way too popular around here too...and it's just NOT happening.

So, ladies, any "J" name suggestions?? I feel like we've been through them all, but we're pretty desperate at this point. (Only 5 weeks until due date!) The possibility of discovering a "J" name that we both like for a boy would be wonderful!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have one, but it's more of a "working one," still open to change.

I am insistent on naming my son after my grandfather (Gordon), but as per Jewish tradition, we could use the first letter "G" and still honor him. I actually like the name outright, but my husband will only go for it as a middle name. We also need to name after his brother (Jeremy). I know his family would be super disappointed if we didn't do something with the letter "J." The problem is neither of us really likes "J" names.

I actually do love Jacob and Jeremiah, but my husband hates them. (My perfect name, for the record, would be Jacob Gordon.)

Husband is all for "Jay" as a middle name. We may go with that, but it seems so, I dunno...like we could definitely do better.

His mom is gunning for "Jayden," but neither of us really cares for it...it's way too popular around here too...and it's just NOT happening.

So, ladies, any "J" name suggestions?? I feel like we've been through them all, but we're pretty desperate at this point. (Only 5 weeks until due date!) The possibility of discovering a "J" name that we both like for a boy would be wonderful!

Josiah , Joshua, Jason,Jaxon, ......
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Jonah, Jameson, Joel

Garret, Gregor, Gabe
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We find out the sex of our baby next week, so at least that will cut the arguing in half.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    No ideas, as my husband just refuses to really discuss it or mention his options until almost the end. We were in agreement with our son, argued about our daughter (he got his choice as middle name) but now for our third, he hasn't said boo and we have 3 months left. I have one choice for a boy and 2 for a girl and told him if we don't discuss before labour, that the choice is all mine! LOL
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

We are a J name family, We named our son Justice or you can spell it Justus. If he had been a girl we would have named her Grace, but I told my SIL that a few years ago and she used it. Since I named my son I told my husband he could have this one and he wants to keep it a J. I suggested Jocelyn, or Juliana and he vetoed those. He has decided on Jordan I am not hating it, but you hear it more as a boys name. Its what he wants and my parents actually like it my mother already calls her that so I guess its a go. We just can't decide a middle name now I want it to be Kathryn and my husband and whole family want Elizabeth. I can't decide.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

I am with you on Jayden (sorry to anyone who likes/is using/has used that name). There are just a million Jaydens out there, as well as names that rhyme with it (Aiden, Brayden, Kayden, etc.). I remember knowing someone named Aiden when I was in high school (mid-90s), and at that time it was a really unusual name. Now they're a dime a dozen!

Anyway, as far as "J" names for boys, I like Jonathan (or just John, plus you can always use Jack as a nickname or even as its own name), and my nephew's name is Julian. I also like Joseph and Joshua.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't want to kill my husband when we were choosing names. We are more or less on the same page when it comes to that kind of thing. My brother and his wife were a TOTALLY different story. Their last name (aka my and my sister's maiden name) is Italian and ends in the letter A. My brother wanted Julia for a girl's name, but his wife would NOT have it. She said (right in front of me and my sister) that it would sound stupid having a name that ended in the letter A when our last name also ends in the letter A. I thought it was funny and reminded her that my name is Rebecca, and my sister's name is Jessica, and at the time neither one of us was married. Anyway, I still pick on her about it, and their one daughter is not named Julia :smile:

Aaaaanyway, we did not know what we were having when I was pregnant with our son, and we will not be finding out this time, either. Thus we had a short list for each sex, and I had it on my phone so that we could refer to it after our baby was born and decide what we thought fit him/her.

Girl names (including middle names):

Marianne Leigh (after my late aunt, Marianne Lee, whose sons are done having children and did not name their daughters after her)
    Carolyn Marie (which we can't use now because my BIL and SIL named their daughter Caroline, and they have the same last name as we do)
    Emily Anne (Anne is my middle name)
    Lillian Marie
    Natalie Anne

Boy names (including middle names):

Jonathan Elliott
    Thomas Joseph
    Thomas Elliott
    Joshua Andrew
    Colin Andrew
    Colin Joseph

I remember we were trying to decide between the Colin choices and the Thomas choices, and the nurse in the room pointed out that she meets a million babies named Colin and that Thomas is a nice name that no one chooses anymore. We ended up picking Thomas Elliott, and I think he is more of a Thomas than a Colin. Thomas was also chosen after St. Thomas More, which has some meaning to us (1) because we think he was awesome and (2) because we are both attorneys.

We plan on keeping our list (minus Carolyn and Thomas, of course) for this baby and then choosing after birth. However, we will probably be adding a name or two to each sex to give us a few more choices. There may be some things that appeal to us now that didn't then, plus you have to kind of imagine your kids' names being lumped together, like "Thomas and [so-and-so] [last name]."

But good luck to all. It is an important decision, and it's hard to find a compromise. I feel like both parents should be happy with the name. I know someone who is still not wild about her four-year-old's name, and I find that kind of sad. Plus, if my mom had given in on naming my brother (who is Michael Andrew), he'd be named Salvatore. Not that there's anything wrong with the name Salvatore, but my brother is SO not a Salvatore.

And in a weird way, I kind of like Salvatore and would use it but for the fact that our last name is German :tongue: