What I can offer -

Options
Runner_5
Runner_5 Posts: 100 Member
One thing I've learned throughout my mud running history so far is that what becomes most useful are two things; cardio and parkour.

I woke up this morning and thought, "maybe we could train together - this Spartan group."

Well - I think that's a great idea that I had there...

I know that the Spartan Race folks send a Workout of the Day (WOD) emails to those who sign up for it - they also have a recipe of the day (ROD).

Two things easy to discuss here. I'm certain at least 1 or two of us are in Pittsburgh together... We can meet up to train up?

I read in another post someone expressing concern over their inability to scale walls - hence I offer some parkour lessons. The scaling part does suck - but I can teach people to fall off of walls without difficulty. Or throw themselves off of walls and not get hurt.

Why I know these things is - some people know that my spine is a bit messy. So - I learned techniques to utilize during mud running that would help me not exacerbate the problem further. Tada! It's good stuff to know.

Anyway - how can we, and what can we, offer each other in the form of training and gearing up for this run?

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Excellent.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    ♥ I think I may need to move to Pittsburgh...lol I don't want to miss out on this training!

I'll find out what other things we can do from my boxing instructor - he's gotta know a few things we can do.

I shall keep you all posted! and thanks J for posting this, with our powers combined, we'll be unstoppable!
  • Runner_5
    Options
    With our powers combined... We are... Captain... Morgan. Yeah - I'd prefer Capt. Morgan in lieu of Capt. Planet.

Oh - did I mention... SIGNED UP! TICKET GOT. LET'S DO IT.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    With our powers combined... We are... Captain... Morgan. Yeah - I'd prefer Capt. Morgan in lieu of Capt. Planet.

Oh - did I mention... SIGNED UP! TICKET GOT. LET'S DO IT.

haha I'm very happy someone got that reference...lol!

Grats on getting your ticket!!! RAWR!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I think it's most important that whatever kind of training we each prefer we all focus on overall fitness and performance. Just running isn't going to cut it, neither will just lifting. We all need to be as strong, fast, hard, and capable as possible. So whether you're running, lifting, swimming, biking.. just give it your all.

We have a hard date of June 1st. Every day it gets a little closer. It's plenty of time if you start now and work hard at it. If you put it off and half *kitten* it all the time in the world won't be enough.

Can you climb a rope? On June 1st you're gonna have to. Can you carry a 25lb stone up a hill? There's going to be one in front of you in just 7 months. So it's your choice if you want to be ready for this or fail.

We're in this together, we're a team. Let's be bad *kitten*.
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/

I found this to be interesting and thought I'd share... Granted, it's from the Tough Mudder site, it still gets you doing something besides just your normal routine. I think I'll be trying to work through all three levels over the next six months in addition to the usual running and lifting. Cheers.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I think it's most important that whatever kind of training we each prefer we all focus on overall fitness and performance. Just running isn't going to cut it, neither will just lifting. We all need to be as strong, fast, hard, and capable as possible. So whether you're running, lifting, swimming, biking.. just give it your all.

We have a hard date of June 1st. Every day it gets a little closer. It's plenty of time if you start now and work hard at it. If you put it off and half *kitten* it all the time in the world won't be enough.

Can you climb a rope? On June 1st you're gonna have to. Can you carry a 25lb stone up a hill? There's going to be one in front of you in just 7 months. So it's your choice if you want to be ready for this or fail.

This is good to know. I have been looking at pics from various races and I saw people climbing the rope, carrying sandbags. I am researching training plans now.
  • Runner_5
    Options

****... You're right.

I need to get more serious.

Let's do it.
  • Runner_5
    Options
    Wow...

I got bleeped...

I used the word fùćk, I'm surprised it got replaced with a bunch of asterisks.

No more swearing for me.