Increase weight.

Options
Kuritaki1
Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
My gym does not have 1.25 ib to add weight. So I have to do 5 ib increase each week. Is it ok? Is there anything else I can do ?

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some of the ladies have bought their own at a local sporting goods store of Amazon and take them in their gym bag. My gym doesn't have them either, but I just bump up 5 lbs each work out for now. Maybe in the future I might get some fractionals. They would really help on the OHP so I don't feel like I fail everytime I do it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I bought some on amazon.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I bought some on amazon.

me too. but I wish I'd actually sprung for the full set that has the half pound weights and what not. For the upper body stuff I think it would help.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I always just did 5lbs. But I don't know, I might have progressed longer with the smaller increments.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, so I don't care how stupid it looks, but I have one pound D-shaped hand weights that I stick on my bar. That way I can go up two pounds, then three the next time. And those hand weights were only a dollar, where 1.25 were at minimum after shipping about $8 each. I'm too thrifty for that. :happy:
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Got mine from Amazon: Set of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 lb weights. Nifty little mix 'n match set. I use them primarily for bench and OHP.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have to go up 2,5kg, my gym has non standard bar so I can't buy fractional plates...

on upper body I make sure I hit 5,5,5,5,8 before I move on to the higher weight

When I was doing strict 5x5 after completing 5x5 on fe 20 kg I wasn't able to do even 2 reps with correct form on 22.5kg.
    so now I go 5x5, next session 5,5,5,5,6, then 5,5,5,5,7, then 5,5,5,5,8 then add plates.

I am planing to do that until I pass 45kg mark.
    From max rep calculations this is where completing 5 reps can "guarantee" you will be able to perform 3 reps with extra 2,5 kg.
  • Kuritaki1
    Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply. I will look into Amason and other places. :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 1.25 kg? My gym does not go that low, but 2.5 kg (2 x 1.25 kg plates) and 5 kg (2 x 2.5 kg plates) increases have always worked well for me...I do have 1 kg and 1.5 kg ankle weights which I use for odd increases (which I have with the Wendler's programme), just strap them on the bar.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of fractional plates. I dithered for ages as they seemed a big expense for some bits of metal, but I honestly think they were worth it. The only trouble is that my son lifts with me, and he makes a big show of struggling to lift my little tiny plates on to the bar. Very funny.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of fractional plates. I dithered for ages as they seemed a big expense for some bits of metal, but I honestly think they were worth it. The only trouble is that my son lifts with me, and he makes a big show of struggling to lift my little tiny plates on to the bar. Very funny.

LOL

one time I was the gym bench pressing 50 pounds. So I had those little 2.5 pound weights on each end. And some guy who was standing around close to where I was looks at me and goes "Careful now, don't hurt yourself! That's pretty heavy!" (sarcastic, he was this big beefy looking guy) o_O