Welcome! My story. What's yours?

Options
I am 44 years old, 2 kids, and am on the journey of "The Change." I never had a weight problem, until my 40s. Since turning 42ish I have steadily gone up a pound a month, and it is now the most stubborn 20 pounds to lose. No matter how much I diet and exercise, my weight continues to go up.

Your issue with menopause may be different then mine. Together, through trial and error, we can and will be great warriers with life's newest "change."

I am searching for answers, learning, modifing, and taking it all with a sense of humor. If you'd like to join, please do so and give us your present struggles, solutions, and inspirations.

Replies

• lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I will be 46 next week, and my periods just started coming every two weeks. The one I am having one is weird, its not normal at all, and I haven't read enough on this stage of life to know what's supposed to happen.

I've struggled with my weight on and off throughout my life...my dad died when I was 9 and I gained alot of weight after that. I got thin again as a teen and didn't really start to have major issues with my weight until after all my kids were born.

I lost 65 pounds 6 years ago, maintained for a few and slowly started to gain it back. Its much harder to lose weight now but I'm committed.
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sounds all too familiar - I'm 51 and have had the heaviest periods of my life for the past year. I used to be able to drop weight when I wanted to, but now I've gained 20 lbs in the last two years and it will not budge. Add that to some back issues and stress and I think we all know where that leads. I crave junk like never before - salt and fat mostly. I think I need to remember that when it was easy to lose weight, I was also a lot more active - so I'm trying to get the exercise in whenever I can. Avoiding the late night cravings is the worst though - oh, and the wine - don't forget the wine!
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    And it is important to make sure that everything is okay 'down there', so see a gyno, but I know that there is no 'normal' perimenopause and you may just get the gamut of everthing - Heavy periods, back pain, flooding, double back-to-back cycles, wimpy ones - get your iron levels checked out and make sure your sense of humour is intact!
  • tmartini2013
    Options
    My story ?? im 52 in april and last year I needed to start losing weight...weight watchers was always my good ol standby surefire loss method...so what happened..yah... I joined ww and gained 3 lbs in one week..ugh...then I got the spare tire over my middle...where the heck did that come from?? I've been heavier and NEVER had a spare tire...how do I dress...how do I lose weight like I used to ... how am I gonna survive "old age" and not be 245 lbs ?? aaaarrrrgggghhh...
    mom never told me about this !!!!
    help :(
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have been using a progesterone cream, and am losing weight, slowly but steadily. Best of all, my rings are spinning around on my fingers
  • rlp5711
    rlp5711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 45 going through perimenopause. For how long I'm not quite sure because gyns wouldn't take me serious the last few years. Dec 2011 started having some other medical issues that ended up with me taking blood pressure med. Didn't want to have to take that forever so I joined a gym in Jan 2012. I was doing really good and got off the medicine. I lost 35 lbs and life seemed to be going pretty good. August my periods stopped. I became more forgetful, tired beyond belief, no interest in sex and so forth. I stopped going to the gym and ofcourse gained 15 lbs. Decided in Dec that I needed to try a different gyn and it seems that I am perimenopausel. Atleast I know I'm not crazy. Hormones are not an option because my mother died of breast cancer when she was 33. The gyn suggested soy. So I have started taking a menopausel support vitamin which contains soy. I started back to the gym Monday and I am trying to keep track of my calories. Is there anything else that you ladies have found to help?
  • grama64
    grama64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a supplement called MenoPause formula. It helps relieve my hot flashes and forgetfulness. I have just started taking coconut oil, suppose to help with dryness.
    I am 49 and getting my period every 2 weeks and have gained 15 lbs, also I have hypothyroidism.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone. This is a frustrating time. if I don't do "everything" right, the weight just creeps up & up & up. I can gain 10 pounds in the course of 2 months. Glad we all have each other.
  • achez10
    achez10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll be 46 tomorrow and it all started with night sweats a few months ago. I normally run hot so I didn't think much of it until it became a problem. Then I started having flashes. Now my periods are hardly there then they run 7 or 8 days long. So as all of this fun begins, I have been using myfitnesspal quite religiously for about 6mos and have only lost 16lbs. Needless to say this upsets me greatly. I'm at 1300 calories a day and might go up to 1400. I'm pretty good about exercise.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 45. At 39 my ob/gyn diagnosed me as in peri-menopause due to out-of-control periods and hormonal imbalances, and she put me on the pill (Yaz). Within a year I had gone from 140 to 150, but was hanging in there. Two years ago I started getting horrendous migraines like clockwork every time I was on the dummy pills due to the estrogen drop, so she recommended I take the pills continuously. Migraines basically went away, but since then my weight has climbed to 169 and my blood pressure and cholesterol (which were always excellent) have skyrocketed. Probably a combo of the pills plus menopause causing this, but I'm not sure. I'm going to see a regular doctor next Friday to see what they recommend.

For the last 20 years I have tried to eat a healthy diet - not obsessively so, but better than most people I know. I don't drink or smoke. I lift weights 3x a week and do cardio the other 4. For 40 years I was at a healthy, normal weight . . . now I cry when I have to try on clothes.

Looking for suggestions other than "eat less and exercise more" since I was doing that when all this occurred. :(
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options

• LadyBedo
    LadyBedo Posts: 5
    Options
    I have always been overweight, at my heaviest i was 252 pounds and i decided that enough was enough and i started walking 2 miles a day, 6 days a week i was eating between 1200 and 15 calories a day and in a year i got down to 195 pounds and i was so proud of myself, i felt so good for the first time in years. then....perimenopause hit me...HARD. i was still doing my walking and my diet but the weight started coming back, fast. i am not back up to 228 and i honestly don't see any end in sight. i must say i am so depressed and disappointed in myself that i am gaining this weight back after working so hard to get it off. i don't know what else to try and i feel like giving up. :(
  • monicacroth
    Options
    Hello, Just starting to use the MFP's forums for the first time. Prior just used the calorie counter.
    I'm 5' tall and weigh 155 pounds. My goal weight is 135 for now :)
    I turned 50 this year and hormones have done a number on me. Prior to the age of 47 I never weighed above 130. I would toggle mostly between 123-128. I was very happy with this weight as i was still a size 2/4 and it felt good.
    I think the my hormones are the major source of the problem, as I've noticed if I do exactly what I used to do (food/cardio/weights) as before I now do not lose weight, rather continuously gain a bit. I too have been gaining about 1/2 -1 pound per month!! This combined with the stress of raising 2 teen girls is probably at the crux at my problem. I have a really good sense for what is healthy eating, but due to stress or boredom don't always do the right thing or eat the right thing or eat too much of the right thing.
    This group sounds perfect and I need the accountability of a group to keep in check and give me support - so thank you in advance :):smile:
  • monicacroth
    Options
    Me too!:smile:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    this is a very small group, isn't it?
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    About the only thing that seems to have helped me lately (besides getting off the bc pills once the worst of my perimenopause symptoms seem to have passed) is cutting out a lot of processed foods and really watching my sodium. Yes, I still have french fries occasionally, but I no longer eat lunch meat every day or canned chili, etc. Also started taking a potassium supplement. Am I at my goal weight? no. Still stuck at 161-162 instead of 145-150 where I'd like to be, but I no longer cringe when I look in the mirror. I drink lots of water, lift heavy, and do lots of walking. I also make sure to eat enough. The 1200 calorie crowd I cannot relate to!!