Say Hello To The Newbies

Options
Hey everyone! If you're like me, you're more likely to look at a thread than post; but I think we should all just say a quick hello and welcome to the new folks (like myself), so we all know this group is still up and running. So...

Hi everyone. I'm from KY!

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

I think this is a nice group, I'd like to see others involved. I don't know which members are active right now.

Anyways... I'm Mandi, I joined this group because I've been struggling lately with my emotional eating -- I thought some accountability might help me. :)
  • RunsForBling
    RunsForBling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Wyndi, I'm an emotional eater. I'm trying to stop the insanity so I can get different results. It starts with addressing my tendencies to be an emotional eater as well as a (*gasp*) sneak eater. I know it's bad! :X Anyway it's nice to meet ya'll hope to get to know you better in the future.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    Hi Wyndi,

Nice to meet you. I'm glad you are joining in the conversation. I have really gained a lot of strength to combat my emotional eating by simply writing and talking about it. And don't worry, you're not the only sneak eater around here. I hope we can all be a support system for each other in this journey toward better lifestyle choices.
  • confiant12
    Options
    Hi my name is Tanya,

I've quit smoking almost 2 years ago and eating confort food has always been an issue with me. But now I'm up to 40 pounds more than my healthy weight, so I need support and in return I wish to offer my support to you.

I wish you all some nice holidays and to all keep it up!!! ;)
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    Hi Tanya,

Congratulations on kicking cigarettes! I know you will do the same with emotional eating. Over the past 1.5 months I have cut my emotional eating in half, by using the tips of this website and writing in my blog. I know you can do it too!
  • jamiellis11
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jami. I'm trying to make myself much happier in 2013 and one way is to lose weight! I'm a big time emotional eater and gained a lot during my separation and divorce. Now, I'm ready to get back to being myself!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cynthia

I struggle with food cravings. Often, after I've given in to those cravings, the feeling that I thought was hunger still remains, despite the fact that I feel stuffed and disgusted. I'm assuming that this is deeper than lack of willpower or discipline.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Cynthia,

Food craving and overeating are often way more emotional and hormonal than they are physical. Not too long ago I posted some tips about why we overeat in another thread. Here's a copy.

This article excerpt about: Emotional Eating vs. Hunger-Driven Eating, How to Tell the Difference

There are several differences between emotional hunger and physical hunger, according to the University of Texas Counseling and Mental Health Center web site:

1. Emotional hunger comes on suddenly; physical hunger occurs gradually.

2. When you are eating to fill a void that isn't related to an empty stomach, you crave a specific food, such as pizza or ice cream, and only that food will meet your need. When you eat because you are actually hungry, you're open to options.

3. Emotional hunger feels like it needs to be satisfied instantly with the food you crave; physical hunger can wait.

4. Even when you are full, if you're eating to satisfy an emotional need, you're more likely to keep eating. When you're eating because you're hungry, you're more likely to stop when you're full.

5. Emotional eating can leave behind feelings of guilt; eating when you are physically hungry does not.

To read the whole article follow this link: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/emotional-eating-feeding-your-feelings
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Saw this group suggested on a thread the other day so, ta da! I have arrived!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Hi, it's nice to see you here! Hoping to learn a lot and maybe contribute something worthwhile. Have a great week, y'all!
  • mrswaller05
    Options
    Hi all! I am a big comfort eater...actually I am just a big eater. I eat when I am sad, stressed, happy, bored, all of the usual reasons. I am trying to lose 40-50 pounds because I am tired of being overweight and unhealthy. Best of luck to everyone trying to lose weight.
  • tripitena
    Options
    Hello mrswaller05! Congrats on walking this path to a healthier YOU.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Wow! As another newbie, welcome to the group! Please share with the rest of us any strategies that work for you! We'll do the same! Keep the faith!
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just joined tonight. I look forward to coming here for support, encouragement, advice, etc., as well as to give it. I live in Washington state.
  • MEKnut
    MEKnut Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    New to mfp and looking for friends and support!
  • aimeelouise79
    aimeelouise79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love this group! :)

Definitely struggle with the emotional eating massively, I love eating healthily and am good at it while everything is going well, as soon as stress/worry/anger/loneliness or even tiredness kick in it's like I completely lose control.

I graduate university this year, with some pretty hefty deadlines in a few weeks, amongst other things, so unfortunately those emotions are fairly dominant at the moment!

Love the idea of this group for support, and I would also love any like minded friends who understand :) Please feel free to add!
  • tripitena
    Options
    Hello aimee. Sounds like you are in the same boat with us here. Its a small group of active members here it seems but that may be changing.:wink: We float ideas and suggestions, complain and whine (OK,its mostly me whining:huh: ) but we understand, relate and are all looking for the same thing : self control.
    So welcome to the quest for power over food! May the force be with you!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Bump for anyone new who has not introduced themselves yet. :flowerforyou:
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Hello! I've been a part of this group for about a month or two now, but I just realized that I haven't introduced myself yet. Thanks @sophrosyne_94 for the bump! :flowerforyou:

My name is Quana. I quite honestly fall into the compulsive overeating category. No matter what the emotion - happy, sad, excited, angry - they are usually extreme for me and I always turn to food for rewards or pick-me-ups. I'm slowly working on these issues I have, and it's great to know there are people out there like me struggling as well.

Friend requests are encouraged! Thanks!