The MOST AMAZING GF tastes like real artisan rolls ever!

Options
Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
I just tried the artisan rolls made by Against the Grain. I picked mine up at Earth Fare. They are sold elsewhere too. This one lady raved about them till I had to try them. They are OUTRAGEOUS in calories (265 per roll) and price (like $6+ for 4 rolls)... but they are WORTH IT!!! Totally divine and you would NEVER in a million years believe they are gluten free. Here are a couple of quick pics I snapped. I should have taken the "outside" pic before I multilated it a little cutting it up to butter it. But, you still get the idea. They are incredible. I've not tasted anything gluten free like them. I can't wait to try their baguettes and their PIZZA crusts next!!! Has anyone else tried these rolls yet? Tried their other products? Found a better deal on them? Here are the pics:
IMAG0939.jpg
IMAG0940.jpg

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Options
    I wonder why it only shows HALF of the pictures? This has been happening a lot to me lately on this site. Grrr
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I will have to try them out, thanks. As far as picture, it might only show half of it because it's larger than the max allowed size for pictures. Try switching it out to a scaled down version?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Are these the dairy free version? I noticed they have ones that are dairy and gluten free and it's with coconut milk. Ironically, the dairy version sure sounds like some Colombian recipes that I make which are Spanish - basically a Tapioca bread. The ingredients are darn similar to the Chebe line. It's a Brazilian bread. You'd have to experiment with the coconut milk but I bet it sure would turn out similarly.

http://mindfullymeandering.blogspot.com/2010/12/100-from-scratch-chebe-brand-style.html

Pao de Queijo - Brazilian Tapioca bread

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/breads/r/paodequeijo.htm

Monica

P.S. Here's another recipe -

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-po-de-queijo-brazilian-cheese-bread-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-176118

This one looks easier. Either way, the prepping is tough but looks like what you've been eating.

Food processor version:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_brazilian_cheese_bread/
  • jnoring
    Options
    Wow that looks amazing!

That price isnt to bad. I bought a loaf of bread (GF of course) it was 6 dollars and terrible. I am to the point I wouls rather spend money on something tasty instead of having to choke it down.

I may have to pick some up for Thanksgiving
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Against the Grain has AMAZING gf bread. The baguettes cut in half make great sub/hot dog rolls. And yes the calories are high (gained weight eating these, lol), so now they are a only a special treat. I have yet to try their pre-made pizzas. Heard they were great too.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Now that I've tried them I can definitely say they are just like Colombian Pandebono's. Basically, it's a typical Latin American bread made in many countries from Tapioca. You really need to use something like a Quesco Fresco (Spanish cheese) to make it properly. There are tons of recipes out there for this type of bread it's just that we know it as a completely different title. I'm glad I figured it out.

I'll try testing a variety of recipes in the near future to see if I can find the best and easiest recipe that matches. It can be different based on country but I'm sure I could nail this one down in a few weeks. They just re branded their bread and labeled what I thought of as a treat into a regular bread roll. I hadn't thought of making them for sandwiches and stuff. The reason they are so high in calories is the cheese. Yuca is the same thing as Tapioca in South America...but normally the breads contain cheese which is what gives them that Croissant soft texture. I just didn't figure it out until I got to test it.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This looks really good and after 10 years I still miss things like rolls and pizza. Thanks for sharing.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the recipes, I tried making them and leaving out the cheese but apparently is part of the structure. I can't have dairy either so I will be picking up some daiya and trying again.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    The cheese is critical to making them. They need it for the texture. You could also try Goat's cheese if you have no issues with that. The company that makes them makes a dairy free version so you'd have to buy them but at least you'd get them.

Monica
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    OMG... I was just on the Against the Grain website.... and read that they have a ROSEMARY BAGUETTE!!! I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE rosemary baguettes. I thought never to have that again. I *MUST* find a store who carries or can order those in for me. Here's the site if you want to learn more about them and their products or find them near you, btw:

http://www.againstthegraingourmet.com/
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I also gotta say... I can't wait till I have the calories and sodium combined left over on a day (when I don't get carried away shopping and then get too hungry to wait to fix it and eat stupid chips and squander all my saved up calories like I did last night.... but I digress <g>) so I can try their pizza crust next.... just LOOK at it... doesn't it look positively YUMMY??:

a-pizza-shell.jpg

I want it... I want it NOW!!!!! *sob* I just know it is going to be fabulous. Has ANYONE tried it yet? I can hardly wait.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    OMG! OMG! OMG! Some member of our community is a complete and utter MORON! Sorry, but I just found out that whoever put in the nutritional data on the three cheese pizza cannot read!!!! I have been avoiding that delectable pizza for no good reason??? Really? I just was on the website of the company to look up the nutritional data on the rosemary baguettes and I saw that there was NOT 2400 mg of sodium in the pizza for 2 slices. There is only 387. The had put in 10x the amount of carbs, 25x the amount of fiber, 6x the amount of sodium... idiot!!!!

http://www.againstthegraingourmet.com/ingredients/product-ingredients-and-nutritionals/#barros

I have corrected it and look forward to eating it... VERY SOON!!!! VERY, VERY soon!!!!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Unfortunately, Thanksgiving day is tomorrow...looks like your deadline will be Friday. :) You'll have to tell us what you thought of it then. :)

Monica
  • GFAndrea
    GFAndrea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Against the Grain is the BEST!
  • GFAndrea
    GFAndrea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the Against the Grain pizza crust every Friday for "Pizza Friday" at my house. It is so good that I started crying the first time I had it.
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump