Am I marathon ready??

Options
bluefox9er
bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
Hi guys...I am posting this to get some perspective on weather I should enter my first 26.2mile Marathon in May, 2013 ( Toronto ).

I am 45 years old Male ( 46 in December ), and 'started' running when I took up the c25k program in April this year, from no experience of running.

Since then, I have moved from running 5k runs to 10k runs, 10 mile 'long ' runs and in August this year, a 13.1 mile half-marathon 'long run'.

Then I got injured (IT Band) in August, but have recovered, and only this saturday ran my second ever 13.1 mile half marathon ' long run'.

I am logging between 20 - 30 miles every week, and cycle at least once a week as I cannot swim. I am a non smoker, and 'healthy' weight now according to my BMI ( THANK YOU MFP).

The Toronto marathon is on May 5th, approx 5 months away. Would aiming for this event be feasible for someone like me?

I am not concerned with running the race at a lightening pace ( my kenyan brothers and sisters will do that voraciously on my behalf) but more concerned about completing the distance.

After running 13.1 miles on saturday,I felt great, but I did ask myself how it could be humanly possible to run 26.2 !!

any feedback/comments gratefully received.

Replies

• pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you just want to finish I don't see why you wouldn't be able for it. The IT Band injury would need to be watched.

Find a good program and follow it to the letter. Build the distances slowly 10% a week and try and get a few 20 milers in beforehand (the more the better). Take your time on race day, don't suddenly decide you can do it in under 4 hours. As you are in the same age bracket as me you are advised to get a once over from your GP to make sure you won't kill yourself.

Ideally you would have about 3 years running etc. but you know life is short. So I say put your head to the wall!!

You will need willpower and a willingness to deal with some pain. But I reckon you're in your 40's and a stubborn streak and ability to deal with pain is not something our age group are lacking.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    when i did my 1st full, it was just a natural progression. i'd done c25k, b210k, hal higdons half marathon training, then hal higdons beginner marathon training. i just kept going. took about 15 months from starting c25k to running my 1st full. for my full training, i also expanded mine to a 20 week training plan to include a bit of down time too. worked for me :-). i don't see why you shouldn't give it a go too.
    FWIW, there's a marathon runners group on here too
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/235-marathon-runners-past-present-future