Slow Cooker recipes

Options
Yes I know about Skinnytaste website and have a link to it but just wondered if there were any recipes that you really like and that I can get the ingredients in the UK for !!!( what the hell is applesauce anyway :ohwell: )

Replies

• SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Agree, some of the US slow cooker recipes are just odd. Taco soup???

I use mine mostly for stew, chilli, bolognaise etc. I'm quite a bung it all in and fingers crossed approach. My absolute winner is bolognaise, I use some for spag bol and freeze the left over and use mixed with some cream cheese and pasta as a pasta bake.

brown lean mince with garlic and onion in pan. Move to slow cooker.
    brown some pancetta cubes and drain off oil, add to slow cooker.
    Add some finely chopped celery and carrot. (mushrooms if you like, or add later as these reduce quite a lot)
    Add a slug of red wine (I can't be more accurate as I vary it each time)
    add a small tin of concentrate tomato puree.

Cook on high for 4 hrs - or longer if required.

Easy beef or lamb stew
    diced beef or lamb - you can brown off in advance but if I don't have time I just bung it in
    one pack prepared casserole mix
    stock cube
    add water - depends how much sauce/gravy you want. (slow cooker needs very little liquid as it will come out of meat and veg too)
    Some worcester sauce and some dried herb (whatever you would normally put in a stew)
    Cook on high for 4-5 hrs.

Hope this helps, I'll be watching with interest as I love using my slow cooker.
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do have a slow cooker recipe book but tend to use any recipe for stew/casserole/chilli. I dont bother with browning anything just chuck everything in the pot in a mad frenzy before work and hope for the best! luckily havn't had a disaster yet.........:smile:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do have a slow cooker recipe book but tend to use any recipe for stew/casserole/chilli. I dont bother with browning anything just chuck everything in the pot in a mad frenzy before work and hope for the best! luckily havn't had a disaster yet.........:smile:

Sounds like my recipe as well, chop it up & bung it in with some boiling water and maybe an Oxo cube or two.

I did learn not to bung tinned beans in, like kidney etc until near the end, seems they can go hard but can't say I noticed difference
  • fergie2812
    Options
    hi i use mine to get a low fat bit of lamb (SO my fave!!)
    I get a half shoulder and just bung it in with water and a cube then leave it.
    take the meat out and all the crap gets chucked away. also when i've cooked a roast chicken on a sunday i put the carcass in with a bit of boiling water (cover half) then leave that going when its done chuck a load of veg in and some cornflour to thicken blend and its soup!
    Literally couldn't survive without the slow cooker!
  • CressidaJL
    CressidaJL Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use:

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-dishes/slow-cooker & http://www.cookuk.co.uk/slow-cooker-recipes-index.htm for generic stuff, but I mostly use chicken, so http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-2119/slow-cooker-chicken-recipes.aspx is a life saver.

For a specific dish, I recommend Ch4's Honey/Mustard chicken: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-dishes/slow-cooker/mustard-chicken-casserole-recipe

(Sorry about the lack of code, apparently MFP doesn't allow links in posts)
  • pboroaddick
    pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is a Stew recipe for the slow cooker. It makes a big batch of soup that you can freeze down as well.

With Xmas coming up, you can use this slow cooker recipe for Turkey leftovers as well.

Cover chicken carcus or bones with water then slow cook 6 hrs
    Strain broth and separate meat from bones
    Return meat to broth then add Butter Beans, Lentils, Split Peas and Pearl Barley. Cook slow another 6 hours
    Add large onion (chopped) & several carrots (diced thinly). cook slow 6 more hours
    Add tinned chicken soup to finish, Salt / Pepper to taste.

A good bowl is only 200 calories and it makes a great meal on a cold winters night.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1tbs ginger minced
    1tsp garlic minced
    1.5 tsp Mae Ploy masaman red Thai curry paste
    Half a tin coconut milk
    Splash of soy sauce
    Splash of fish sause
    One tin of either baked beans or red kidney beans
    24 meatballs (homemade or Tesco)
    Small amount of water
    Cook on low for 6-7 hours, season to taste with either lemon juice or sugar
    eat with naan bread or rice
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I make a yummy Sausage and bean casserole with mine, I had it last night, was sat down with a lovely bowl of it within 10 mins of getting in from work, bliss!

This is my recipe for 3 people, but obviously you can multiply the quantities

The beans need soaking overnight then boiling for a bit before you put them in the slow cooker, but you could easily tinned beans of any sort instead.

6 Good quality sausages, (i used Sainsburys Toulouse ones, they were yum)
    40 grams (dry weight) Haricot beans
    40 Grams (dry weight) Butter Beans
    1 x Onion
    100 g mushrooms
    Red pepper
    Green Pepper
    Tin of tomatoes
    Tomato puree, not really sure how much, a good squeeze!
    Chicken stock
    1 table spoon Paprika
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    sprinkling of sage
    cornflour or gravy browning
    salt n pepper

Brown of the sausages in a pan, this releases some of the fat and gives them a good colour.
    Chop them in half and chuck 'em in the slow cooker.
    Chop all the veg howsoever you please and add them too, along with the beans and tomatoes.
    I mix the puree with the stock and add the paprika, mustard powder and sage to that, then add to the slow cooker.
    Mix the cornflour/browning with cold water and add that too.
    give it a good old stir and season.
    Leave it all day and go about your business!

Come home, get the fire going, put your slippers on and snuggle up on the sofa with a bowl of this and some crusty granary bread and some good music. Bliss!

( my recipe calculator worked this out at about 400 cals per serving, minus the bread)
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks. I am going to make soup with the carcass of my turkey this year ( my mother alway used to do it and it was LUSH) and going to do it in the slow cooker.

I am lucky I have 2 cookers - 1 huge one for the family and one baby one that makes enough for just me.

Keep them coming you lot as I am a northerner and adore my stews
  • AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Some lovely ideas here thank you! I've blown the dust off my slow cooker and will be trying some of these out
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links CressidaJL, I work full time and use my slow cooker a couple of times a week but did want some easily accessable recepies.

I gotta agree, I browsed through skinnytaste.com the other day and all I kept thinking was, what odd ingredients,,,eurgh!
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just started using mine again so thanks I will be taking note of some of these ideas :smile: x
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Not sure if joking about the applesauce or not :/

there are a bazillion books out there with slow cooker recipes, I like making soup generally, water, veggies, stock and leave all day then blitz.
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is so handy everyone, just got one for Xmas. And really ddint have a clue what to use.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    For the ULTIMATE cheat, but good for tracking calories, I brown lean meat and veggies then chuck a can of soup in. All the flavour, minimum fuss and you can add up calories really easily because it will be on the can of soup.

The other good thing is that you can't do meat with skin on because it is horrible, doesn't go crispy. (Crispy skin on roast chicken is my downfall. Well, one of them...)
  • debbiej41
    debbiej41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump