saying hello

Options
Hey, wow you found my group! I have to say, I never intended to start one but I really wanted a forum to be able to share thoughts/tips/wisdom whatever on how to understand the reasons we have issues with food, what made us have such an unhealthy relationship with such an essential part of our lives in the first place. And to love and respect the parts of ourselves that are troubled and heal ourselves and become truly happy and whole again... oh and I thought we could have a laugh and fun too :smile:

My own story is on the general weightloss message board entitled: my shameful secret full story no pix. Feel free to have a read, it's what brought me here at this the point in my life. Also feel free not to read :happy: In any event, I'm Sammi, 43, married, 6 kids, been interested in various self-help ideas for years now and finally ready to fully embrace them and 'walk my talk'

Welcome aboard and look forward to getting to know you better and having some interesting convoes/disscussions x

Replies

• eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    HI MY NAME IS EUNICE AND I BELIEVE THE REASONE I HAVE A HARD TIME WITH FOOD IS THE FACT THAT I EAT WHEN IAM STREESED OR BORED AND MY PORTION CONTROL I TEND TO OVER EAT I DONT REALLY KNOW WHEN TO STOP.
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey Sammi :-)

Why do I eat? I actually eat when I'm happy, lol When things are going great, the sun is out, when I'm feeling good... yep, that's when I eat. When I'm depressed or stressed out I actually "forget" to eat. I know, it sounds strange.

I've been brought up in a large family, plenty of relatives and all our gatherings were focused on food. A party here, a BBQ there... Good times = good eats. Grandma was never happy unless our bellies were full. Even now, I still enjoy when I've cooked a great meal and the family just gobbles it up. I've noticed though that when things are going good, I let my "guard" down (aka my own person food police warning alarm). When I'm happy I relax... sometimes too much, leading me to eat without thinking.

But, with that being said, I do not wish to be unhappy or stressed all the time either. I need to learn to work at monitoring myself better. Keeping the food diary is a big help.
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    That's the thing about food isn't it, that it's more than just the nutrients we need to function and grow/repair whatever.. how many of us use food in place of something that is missing in our lives or to satisfy some emotional need? As Eunice said: stress and boredom are triggers to eat for so many of us... and there's the flip side where food is a comforter, or as Tairaven points out, meals become more than consuming food: it's the people, the occasion etc...but we have a choice don't we? We can either follow the same old unhealthy, and ultimately unhappy path and try to use food to entertain us, or calm us, or cheer us up, or a million and one other things that food can never hope to satisfy...or we can try and address the 'real' reason we wanna eat and if we are genuinely hungry or not...

What does everyone else think? x
  • stargalsal
    stargalsal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello. I'm Sally. 38 years old and sadly i have hated myself for pretty much the last twenty years. As a kid and teen i was always super thin. I was very active but as i got older, i became more sedentary. A car accident at 21 has left me with a severe whiplash issue which refuses to go away. This has been both excuse and reason as to why i have never successfully been able to work off the weight that has crept on. But truthfully, my weight stems from a much darker place....my body has become a place for me to hide. The last couple of months, i have been working on changing that. This has resulted in some interesting and somewhat painful self discovery. I have lost 10kilos (about 22 pounds) and discovered that I am perhaps not as mentally or emotionally together as i thought. Letting go of the weight (and i have a long ways to go) means that i have to face, well, me. It's been a roller coaster ride and I had about a month with serious detoxing which found me crying most days. i am now out of that phase, but the struggle remains.I think food has been both enemy and friend and the more i work towards changing my eating habits and losing the weight, the more i realize that is more than just weight that i need to let go of.

Anyway, thanks for starting this group. I am hoping that it will help me in those moments when the demons dance and the diva despairs :)
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    hey Sally, I can totally relate!! I was always too thin if anything (I had a 21" waist when I got married in my mid 20s for goodness sake!!) And same as you, food has been my friend and my worst enemy and strangely the bigger I got, the more invisible I felt ...

Anyways so glad to have you with us :)
  • beckyanne1975
    Options
    Hi I'm Becky. My problem is definitly emotional eating not helped by being bipolar.Always turned to food for comfort and am finally trying to overcome it as i get out of a bad relationship. Always been overweight but the past 8yrs have gained over 150 pounds. So far this is dating but am having hard days when depressed.
  • Nickibroadbent
    Nickibroadbent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! Your group description intrigued me; so here I am!

I'm 5 stone lighter than I used to be and I think being honest and excorsising the "demons" holding you back is a massive contributer to that. Emotional issues are so often over-looked in weight-loss, because - let's be honest - the physical act is easy, use more than you take in: it's all the mental-links; issues and trauma that are related to how we use/ behave with food that holds us back. Once that baggage has been addressed, it becomes quite simple.

I'm looking forward to some interesting and useful discussions with you all :)
  • xohethr
    Options
    Hello everyone! :) I'm Heather.

For me, eating has always been a boredom thing. I got laid off in January and haven't been able to find a job since, so I'm stuck at home most of the time. I get bored, know that the kitchen is only a few feet away, and go find something. And normally, I don't feel like cooking anything until dinner, so it's always snacks that I grab. The most convenient thing is what I will eat. It's always easier to just reach up into a cabinet, grab some cookies, and go back to what you were doing than to, say, go boil a cup of broccoli. Because then you have to sit and wait for the water to boil, then it to cook, and yeah...nobody wants to do that when they're hungry NOW. It's sad, but so so so true.

I also eat when I get upset. Bad breakup? I eat. Got bad news in my family? I eat. Car broke down and no money to fix it? Ahh, grab a candy bar. The car can wait. I don't realize what I'm doing when I'm doing it, but afterwards, I feel like crap and I'm left regretting it.

I'm also a really picky eater. I don't like hardly any vegetables, minus a few cooked one, as result of being force-fed them up until I was 14 years old. I can't stand the crunch of a salad. Or the texture. I tried the other day to eat a small spinach salad, and the stems and "veins" drove me insane. I literally gagged on every bite. It sucks.

So, this weight loss journey is set to be a hard, rough, uphill battle, but I will do it. I'll have everything in moderation, exercise often, and I won't deny myself of anything. Oh, and smalllllllll portions. That helps.

It's amazing the power that FOOD has over us, isn't it? It boggles my mind.

Good luck on your journeys, everyone. And to those of you that have lost ANY amount of weight so far, CONGRATS!

<3 Heather
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Let's see....I sometimes don't eat when I'm stressed. Or I seek solace in food. I don't deal well with stress and frustration.
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    helloooooooooooooooooooooo newbies, welcome to the forum. Please feel free anyone to start a thread, get a discussion going :smile:
  • Spoonie_JKat
    Options
    Hello!

I think my first blog post says most things, and I will open up a bit more soon - once I've worked it all out myself!

I said to my friend the other day that I don't have an eating disorder, but I do have a problem with disordered eating; i think that's my major downfall.

Blog post is at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Spoonie_JKat

Nice to meet you all! xx