Vacation with new baby?

Options
2»

Replies

• rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, this is so do-able. It is true that some babies don't enjoy the car seat. My first always slept in the car, infact when we had tough nights my hubby would take him for a drive! My little girl, who was and still is a bit of a tummy sleeper, HATED the car seat and would just cry even for short journeys, but if I sat in the back next to her and looked at her, stroked her hand she was calmer and did eventually sleep.

We also flew with my boy when he was 4 months old, from NZ to UK. I have to say getting the passport photo was much more challenging than the flight!! You have a bassinet in the bulkhead, so bubba has a place to lie down, main issue with that is that if the seatbelt light is on bubba has to be on your lap with a seatbelt that attaches to yours. A couple of times we had to wake him up to put his seatbelt on and then he didn't get back to sleep. He also stuck completely to his routine, which often meant us being up awake when all the cabin lights were off!

I guess the one thing that would make both more challenging is if breastfeeding doesn't go well. I've no experience of bottle feeding, but it seems much less convenient than just whipping your boob out!

Thanks Rachy,

Would you recommend still getting a bassinet even if we will have a seat just for the Bub?

I think I would actually, as the bulk head seats have a little more legroom, and if bubs was going to be in his/her own seat then you could have all of your paraphernalia at hand in the bassinet, main problem would be that (in economy class) there are usually only two seats to one bassinet, so your partner may end up not sitting with you, which may not be so bad if it is more challenging, you could do shifts and allow one of you to sleep well away from baby!

If you were considering booking a seat for the baby, you should look at taking a car seat on board, as then you don't wake bubba up when the seatbelt light goes on! We did look at that, from what I recall the airline we flew with would only allow forward facing seats (seats suitable for much older babies), and the seat had to be within 'cabin bag dimensions'. I'm sure the airline website could give you some info on the type of seats that are OK. You'd need to give that some thought before purchasing your car seat!

Good luck!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, this is so do-able. It is true that some babies don't enjoy the car seat. My first always slept in the car, infact when we had tough nights my hubby would take him for a drive! My little girl, who was and still is a bit of a tummy sleeper, HATED the car seat and would just cry even for short journeys, but if I sat in the back next to her and looked at her, stroked her hand she was calmer and did eventually sleep.

We also flew with my boy when he was 4 months old, from NZ to UK. I have to say getting the passport photo was much more challenging than the flight!! You have a bassinet in the bulkhead, so bubba has a place to lie down, main issue with that is that if the seatbelt light is on bubba has to be on your lap with a seatbelt that attaches to yours. A couple of times we had to wake him up to put his seatbelt on and then he didn't get back to sleep. He also stuck completely to his routine, which often meant us being up awake when all the cabin lights were off!

I guess the one thing that would make both more challenging is if breastfeeding doesn't go well. I've no experience of bottle feeding, but it seems much less convenient than just whipping your boob out!

Thanks Rachy,

Would you recommend still getting a bassinet even if we will have a seat just for the Bub?

I think I would actually, as the bulk head seats have a little more legroom, and if bubs was going to be in his/her own seat then you could have all of your paraphernalia at hand in the bassinet, main problem would be that (in economy class) there are usually only two seats to one bassinet, so your partner may end up not sitting with you, which may not be so bad if it is more challenging, you could do shifts and allow one of you to sleep well away from baby!

If you were considering booking a seat for the baby, you should look at taking a car seat on board, as then you don't wake bubba up when the seatbelt light goes on! We did look at that, from what I recall the airline we flew with would only allow forward facing seats (seats suitable for much older babies), and the seat had to be within 'cabin bag dimensions'. I'm sure the airline website could give you some info on the type of seats that are OK. You'd need to give that some thought before purchasing your car seat!

Good luck!

Ohhh, great tips, didn't think a out the car seat dimensions...... We are flying Virgin Australia in premium economy, so we'll be in the same row, but on either side of the aisle. I was thinking that this could be good for "shift work" with the baby too :wink:

Thanks
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I was thinking I could just pump in the car and feed too, so we would only have to stop for changes!