Hoping to lose weight and get energy on meds

Hi , my name is Adrienne and I live in Australia. Last year I had a mastectomy and some pretty harsh chemo after getting BC in my fifties , 23 years after the first occurrence when I was 30. unlike the first time, my body is totally different and I am now on Arimidex and also have gone through menopause as a result. My girlfriend who has also had BC suggested I use this phone app and I successfully ignore it for a few months lol. Now I just cant do it any more as I have no energy and a hot summer to go through, I have put on so much weight over the last two years and am hungry all the time, plus feel the need for comfort food as a result of depression at times and constant fatigue . I really hope to find motivation here and some helpful tips as I was thinking there is nothing I can do ...... but maybe I was wrong and I can try in spite of the medication etc. Look forward to hearing from others with similar problems :smile:

Replies

• Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Hello Adrienne.
    Welcome!
    We all join you in the battle to keep our weight down. I keep my hunger down by increasing my protein and not eating sugar.
    Cinnamon has been recognized as regulating blood sugar. I found that exercise has very much increased my energy level and has reduced my appetite. There is a recent study in regards to weight and breast cancer. So it's best to keep trying to lose the excess. We are all in the group to help each other so feel free to ask us for support.
    -Gorger (alias salad eater).
  • Hi Adrienne, am on the same medication and have gained 15 pounds since stopping chemo on September 26, 2012. The first mastectomy I had was in 1998 and my second one was May of 2012. Different type of cancer all together. This time I was put on anastrozole and am going crazy because it to sooooooo difficult to lose weight this time!!?? Will turn 56 this year. But not giving up:) planning on changing my eating habits and doing treadmill and walking my crazy dog! Good Luck, it nice to know we are not alone.
  • weemuse
    weemuse Posts: 40
    Tamoxifen is doing the same thing to me, Adrienne. It's a daily battle just to maintain my current weight, which is 20 lbs over where I want to be. Sending peace and stamina and good wishes your way. Kathy.