Insanity day 30 I GAINED UNWANTED WEIGHT :(

Options
Hi guys Im new to the group and forums and stuff so bare with me if you've heard this all before. Today is my 30day mark for insanity and i was feeling pretty good about weighing and taking progress pics today. Im a scale addict i use to go in and off at least twice a day sometimes in rapid succession just to see if the number changed lol. On day 0 of insanity i weighed 161lb (im 5'6) after 2 weeks i weighed 156.2 feeling pretty good i said i wouldnt touch the scale until day 30. so today I got up early this morning ran down to the bathroom eager and excited to get on my scale (ud swear i was 5 and opening christmas presents). But you guys when i got on i was HORRIFIED!! I got on and off at least 4 times the number couldnt be!! IMPOSSIBLE! The scale said i weighed 12stone that means i put on 12lb in 2 weeks how could that be.
Ive been eating right following the allotted calorie intake. i started with a net of 1300 (this was what i was left with after exercise) i increased my calories from the first 2 weeks because i found myself light headed and realised i was actually under the BMR limit and was starving body of the basic calories it needed to survive when i did the equation again i found my BMR was 1550 so i upped my calories to make sure that after my deficit i still had adequate nutrition

My boyfriend and my flatmate says that the scale must be off because i look different and i feel firmer..( i really do feel different n when i look in the mirror everything seems a little tighter)

I know muscle weighs more than fat but 12lbs? O_o

I used the tape measure ..no inches lost none gained but none lost...
This has seriously depressed me i dont even want to take the pictures now.
Ive gone back into bed and pulled the covers over my head im wondering is there even a point of doing month 2 ..
Can someone shed some light on my situation ?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 12lbs of muscle, not at a calorie deficit. Your scale is probably off, especially if you look and feel tighter and other people notice. Your body may be retaining extra water because of the stress of Insanity, that happens pretty often. It's common for people to complain of weight gain during Insanity, actually. I suggest ditching the scale for the remainder of the program and taking measurements and pictures instead. I bet you'll see results in both of those places and that will motivate you. Good luck!
  • emily_bird
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for completing the program!

The way that the program is designed , is that depending on your needs and what you want , you can either GAIN LEAN MUSCLE or LOSE WEIGHT. A lot will also depend on what you eat. Secondly, if you aren't any bigger - then you definitely haven't picked up any "weight". It could be water retention, if you're near or having your period that can affect your weight, as well as your scale. Try weighing yourself at different places in the house. There's literally been a difference of a kg at times (I think maybe 2 at my one house) depending on where I weighed myself. You're scale definitely has to be off .

Think of it this way, after one month , both you and two other people admit that you look better and that they can't see any fat gain. So, even if you weigh more, you've stayed the same size and improved upon your body. If you were to quit it now,you'd have to re-work out all of your caloric in take, work out what you'd do as a replacement and depending on what you do, you could regress.It usually takes your body about 3 weeks (21 days) to acclimatize or get used to a routine or change. It takes 21 days to form a habit. Whereas, if you did it for another 30 days (really, what's a month in the grand scheme of things), you know that you WILL get a better a body,even if the scale says different. You've already seen positive results, so you know that if you continue it, your body will improve.On top of that, you're likelihood of losing fat and losing in measurements are increased. Try it for one more month.

MOST of these exercise programs are 60 to 90 days (and that's the ones where you really go for it). Since you only did it for one month, just do another 30 days, which is like finishing up a normal program. You can only improve. Remember, now you know how to do all of the moves!
  • rayvennavera
    Options
    Thanks guys I will stick with the program until the end i dont want to be a quitter ...
    I will then buy another scale at the end if the work out
    Wish me luck
    Xx
  • jenihullett
    jenihullett Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My scale junked out on me halfway through Turbofire. One week I weighed 156 lbs, and the next it said I weighed 164. I reset it, and then it said I weighed 182!!! That stupid scale was $50 and only a few months old. Now I have a cheap, non-digital scale and it works fine. Also, make sure that you weigh yourself in the same spot every time. Some people have uneven floors that give different readings depending on where the scale is placed.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    Also, weigh yourself naked or in your underwear.