what is stopping you from losing weight?

Options
I'm just asking this because we all know what will make us happy and healthy and I wonder why it's so difficult to make those choices... Surely we want to be happy don't we?? So why do we choose to eat junk, or drink too much alcohol or smoke or whatever. If we're not dumb, and I'm certain we're not or we wouldn't be on this site, why do we make dumb choices?

I read somewhere that if we feel stuck in negative behaviour or habits, then the pay-off for staying the same must be stronger than the reward for changing... if this is true I think it's worth exploring, making a list of pluses n minuses of being healthier/slimmer whatever, or staying as we are now. I'm def gonna spend some time on my list, not necessarily share it, but I've been trying to be slimmer and fitter and healthier for 4yrs now and am tired of treading the same old path with yo-yo results, and I dont intend to spend the rest of my life like this and hearing myself make the same old excuses...

What do other people think?

Replies

• stargalsal
    stargalsal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My neck issues have been a big source of contention for me. Every time i begin the journey to losing weight...it quickly thwarts me and i give up. I have used my neck (and more recently a lower back problem) as the reason why i can't shift the weight. But the truth is it's not really the health issues that are stopping me...it's me. It's my fears and insecurities. It's me devaluing myself and not believing I am worth it. In the last few months, I have begun changing my body...but this started with a change in my mindset. And that has been the greater challenge! As i have started to noticeably drop weight, it has raised a whole bunch of issues I wasn't even aware existed. It's been enlightening and painful but I am beginning to believe that I am worth it.

I decided that I had to work within my limitations...and that was hard to admit I had them! Because of my neck and back issues I cannot do the type of exercises that i would like, or at the intensity or frequency as I would like. There are some things outside of my control....my neck pain being one of them. So what is in my control? my attitude, action and reaction to things. Also in my control is what i can put in my mouth. So I decided that instead of working against my body and then failing again and again and feeling hopeless and helpless, that I would work with what i have and what I can do. Changing my eating habits and thought patterns has been the bigger part of what I've been working towards. It's slow progress but i have to believe that I will get there eventually.
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    that's fantastic stargal !! I'm starting to realize myself that it's not so much the situation that linits us, but how we perceive the situation/choose to handle it... so happy for you for finding a way :)
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i think my problem is that i dont love myself enough.. its easier to do things for others and forget about yourself. example is i would commit myself on doing errans for my family and not make time to excercise or go out to eat everyday with the girls at work just little things that i can easily say no to... but i will be making some changes because i am getting older and i need to get my health in control i know i am the only one that can make my life better only i can make these changes.....
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It's easier to do things for others and forget about yourself. example is I would commit myself on doing errands for my family and not make time to exercise or go out to eat everyday with the girls at work just little things that I can easily say no to...

From what I see, some of us were brought up with the idea that 'if the other person is not happy, I can't be happy'. So, when we do take time for ourselves, we feel guilty.

The hard part is unlearning.