loosing weight/gluten free

Options
tvl0308
tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced since they have been on gluten that it has been hard to loose weight? I have been gluten for 2 years now and I have high blood pressure and diabetic so I don't eat a lot of there sweet stuff and i stay a way from the pasta too. I know there food is a lot higher in sugars and sodium so i really try to watch that. I like to exercise so been doing that but it seems like that isn't working either. I get on the scale and there is one more pound that i have gained. I do drink lots if water and no pop and sometimes green tea unsweetened. This is very frustrating for me so if anyone can give me any kinda ideas to try I would love to hear them.

thanks

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have heard by many that they gained weight after going GF and that is mostly if you are not eating a real clean diet. I know if you replace the pasta, breads, etc with GF ones, like you said you will gain b/c they are higher in sodium, sugar, cals, etc. If you just go GF and eat lean meats, fruit veggies and dairy you are good :)
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I did gain oh boy did I. In my town only thing I could find was some flours no premade food. So I had to learn to replace with Veggies, I only eat lean meats. I don't know why some people gain and some lose.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    My doctor warned me that most of his patients gained weight. I did not but found I had to be more diligent about my choices
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of back and forth with it. If I don't watch it and eat to much processes gluten free stuff, I gain. But if I keep with veggies, and fruit I can maintain or loose.
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ok thank you all for your responses. :)
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Once the malnourished effects from the gluten faded, I noticed my body started hanging on to everything it could. I gained for a bit and then had to start paying attention more. My metabolic rate and fitness levels dropped drastically over the time that I was ill and I paid for it.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I gained about 15 pounds when I went gluten-free, but that was largely because I was clinging to rice as a carb crutch to get me through, and also trying out all of the "substitute" foods, which were expensive and usually total crap nutritionally. I would fill my 12-cup rice cooker darn near to the top at least once or twice a week, but it was organic brown rice so I thought I was "being good" - and it would have been good, if I wasn't eating it mass quantities. But I got really creative with the rice, adding various Better than Bouillon stock concentrates to the cooking water and different herbs, and it was something my husband would eat without complaining that it wasn't pasta. Heh.
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight being GF but if you're going to go GF you still have to watch your carbs. I occasionally eat rice, GF spaghetti, GF hotdog and hamburger buns, and GF bread. I mainly eat fruits, nuts, veggies, meat/poultry/fish, and drink water, green tea (unsweetened), and black coffee.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    You have a good lost too.
    Marie
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I lost at first...then gained...and now it is just a constant battle to lose an ounce. I know some people fall in that "tiny, malnourished" category, but I feel like I have always been in that "fatty, malnourished" category. One of my big issues is that after a bout of tummy troubles, I end up hungry again since I am empty- but I also know that I did at least absorb some of the calories. Digestion starts in the mouth, so that "but it went right through me" argument doesn't always hold up. I feel like I am super careful with my diet, and mostly all that does is keep me from gaining. Le sigh. To be one of those people who gives up soda and loses a ton of weight.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    I gained about 20 lbs when I had to go GF, and gained 30 more after starting on a medication for my fibro. (which I recently quit taking).
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had to go GF in May 2011, at first I did gain a few pounds because I was clinging to GF pretzels, donuts, breads etc. I felt I needed to replace what I was use to having in my old diet. But in 90 days I was over those things, first they were higher in calories and second they are way expensive. I have been gluten free for over a year with only one accidental gluten attack, I still buy GF bread for work lunches and occasionly I buy a GF pizza crust for the rare pizza. I learned you can easily stay gluten free and lose weight with lots of veggies, beans and lean meats. I thought gluten free was the kiss of death for good eats, but discovered I felt so great being GF, (I had more energy for the needed exercise) that it turned out to be the kiss of life. Life for me has seriously changed for the better. I can't amagine living another other way. I had to give up beer :( but GF beer Ugh not worth it, I rather drink a margarita :) Cheers

PS I forgot to mention that my blood pressure is now perfect and my cholestrol dropped 45 points. yay me!
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    When i found i was allergic to gluten and had to cut out even the sauces etc I found it very hard at time to find things to eat that didn't cause a reaction .
    When I did find something I could eat and even more so if it was a quick fix to stablise my blood sugar which I had a terrible time with for a few months I just ate lots of those things and found i was really eating more fatty things and started gaining more weight.
    It does seem that this is a cause for a lot of people avoiding gluten for gaining weight,It's not easy to make a good healthy choice when you are continuously feeling ill.
    the other thing is many people starting out who are new to the gf diet and products don't realise at first that the products contain basically the same amount of calories ,and with the breads being smaller you can find you're self eating double the calories to what you would have with the wheat bread
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone has experienced since they have been on gluten that it has been hard to loose weight? I have been gluten for 2 years now and I have high blood pressure and diabetic so I don't eat a lot of there sweet stuff and i stay a way from the pasta too. I know there food is a lot higher in sugars and sodium so i really try to watch that. I like to exercise so been doing that but it seems like that isn't working either. I get on the scale and there is one more pound that i have gained. I do drink lots if water and no pop and sometimes green tea unsweetened. This is very frustrating for me so if anyone can give me any kinda ideas to try I would love to hear them.

thanks

I've lost 12lbs... but I don't miss breads like I thought I would. I've only had gluten-free pasta a handful of times in 3 months and it was enough to satiate my need for it. I've focused on eating clean, smoothies, smaller portions and relying on my food scale.

You will go back and forth with weight with your cycle/hormones but that is normal. I have. Just stay on track with calories and you will win the race here. Just remember it's a slow race with some ups and downs. Don't let it discourage you.

Good luck!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I lost when I first started, it was great but then I started gaining because of the substitutes. After gluten, I was able to eat and lose properly.

You may be allergic to something else. It is very common for a GF person to have more than one food intolerance.

I was good for the first year after gluten. But almost exactly on my one year anniversary which is May 5, 2009, I started having some symptoms again. I could not place my finger on it and thought that I was getting gluten from something.

Long story short, I was now lactose intolerant. Soy is another common one too. You might consider that possibility.

I use Thai noodles instead of GF noodles. So much better and less calories.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options

You may be allergic to something else. It is very common for a GF person to have more than one food intolerance.

Long story short, I was now lactose intolerant. Soy is another common one too. You might consider that possibility.

My Dr. suggested I go GF and dairy free. I've had a lot of problems with soy also. I think I have that Celiac disease guts fell really bad for a long time. I've had lots of tests.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My Dr. suggested I go GF and dairy free. I've had a lot of problems with soy also. I think I have that Celiac disease guts fell really bad for a long time. I've had lots of tests.

I think you probably got some good advice about cutting dairy out as well. Sometimes after about 6 months to a year of being on a strictly gluten-free diet, people start healing and foods their body previously rejected are digested more easily. I eat cheese and am able to have a little ice cream without trouble now, and when I first went g/f, I was very sensitive to dairy.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I think you probably got some good advice about cutting dairy out as well. Sometimes after about 6 months to a year of being on a strictly gluten-free diet, people start healing and foods their body previously rejected are digested more easily. I eat cheese and am able to have a little ice cream without trouble now, and when I first went g/f, I was very sensitive to dairy.

You've given me hope. LOL. I really hope there is a time when I can add cheese back in without swelling up. :)
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you replace your breads with GF breads you are sure to gain weight. GF products tend to be higher in calories and fat. If you go gluten free and stick to more of a Paleo type diet i bet you would lose weight. As long as you stay within your caloric range and exercise of course.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've heard this from others but I lost 19 lbs. in the first month alone. I'm now down 43 lbs. and I haven't been exercising (my doctor reminded me today to start exercising . . . and I should. . . maybe . . . I'm so lazy :*( ) I went to a clean eating diet and took out fast food, caffiene, and most all restaraunt dining. I think the difference with me is I don't sub in a lot of gluten free pasta, sugary sweets and such. I eat a lot of veggies and protein now. There isn't much fruit (maybe 1 or 2 a day).

Just remember gluten free cake is still cake.