Turns out I've been doing rows wrong this whole time

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I have just been doing regular bent-over rows and not the pendlay (?) rows.... I did not know we were supposed to be letting it back on the ground each time LOL.

I have a question though. I am only up to 60 pounds on that so I have just been using those pre-weighted bars for it, but even if I use the olympic bar with plates, I will only be 5 pound plates which are REALLY small, and I have long legs... so doing these kind of rows feels really awkward for me. Anyone else?? Or is it just me? I have to squat down so low for it to be touching the ground... anyone have any tips or anything?

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Stack some plates on each side and pull from there. Someone mentioned that in the Check-in thread and it has made a world of difference for me.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Damn.......been doing it wrong too. I would use a power cage and put the support bar as low as possible
  • hesn92
    Options
    glad I'm not the only one....
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    put it on the rack if you can adjust the support bars
    if not, stack the plates - 2 25 lbs plates should put it on the same level as if you had bar loaded with 45 lbs plates
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I made the same discovery last week. I had to steal all the 10lb plates in the gym almost to raise the 55lb bar to reasonable height. Some people suggest making forms out of plywood to stand the barbell on, and I think it might be a good investment for me because getting up to 95lb rows (ie 25lb plates) might be a few months away! Not sure if people pendlay row with the 10lb plates (65lbs) from the floor or raised.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was too - then I checked the stronglifts website and made sure I read through all the lifts to make sure I was doing them right!

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    The pendlay row is actually named after the man who started it, Glenn Pendlay. If you google it on youtube, the man himself gives a demonstration. It is an explosive lift.....if your gym doesn't have the big rubber plates, I'd suggest using the power rack to get the bar up to the right height as well....or stack up some 45's until it's the right height. Your back and legs should be at a 90 degree angle. Good luck! I love this lift!
  • geugca
    geugca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive been dropping it to the floor and my next session (tomorrow) is only 70 lbs. I've been having trouble keeping it at the top but now that I'm looking at the video (link below) it looks as though I barely hold it at the top. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • hesn92
    Options
    I had a major blonde moment at the gym.

Lol.

I found a 35 pound bar and I was like "so to get 60 pounds, I need 25 more pounds... Yeah I can use the 25 pound plates!" so I put one on each end. Definitely could not row that. I really need to work on my math skills.
  • Kuritaki1
    Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have just been doing regular bent-over rows and not the pendlay (?) rows.... I did not know we were supposed to be letting it back on the ground each time LOL.

I have a question though. I am only up to 60 pounds on that so I have just been using those pre-weighted bars for it, but even if I use the olympic bar with plates, I will only be 5 pound plates which are REALLY small, and I have long legs... so doing these kind of rows feels really awkward for me. Anyone else?? Or is it just me? I have to squat down so low for it to be touching the ground... anyone have any tips or anything?
  • Kuritaki1
    Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is it same thing as dead lift?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Is it same thing as dead lift?

No, you begin in the same manner as the dead though. Hands usually one way (grip direction) and then you pull the bar towards your torso (lower chest to upper abdomen region) while your back remains straight and at a ninety degree angle to your legs, so parallel to the floor.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I was doing rows wrong for 4-5 weeks too. I was stuck at the same weight forever because the 4th or 5th rep of my sets barely had the bar reaching up to my ribs. Then my friend, KittyViolet, discovered that you're supposed to let the bar down in between each rep. Makes a HUGE difference!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    bump so I can check out these vids later.

I HATE the rows & I never feel like I'm doing them right.
    I knew I had to set the bar down between reps since I watched a video but it was someone using 45lb plates.
    Any one got a video with someone rowing like 65lbs? (Which is what I'm stuck at...)