SOS: Shout out Sundays

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Okay dudes and dudettes...hit me one time! With the holiday this week what was good and even if struggled what did you learn? Anything you would do differently?

WONDER WOMAN,

"It is unfair to judge yourself by the criterion of age. A vital, intelligent woman is much more then the sum of her birthdays!"

Replies

• kglar
    kglar Posts: 7
    Options
    I tried to make smart decisions for the holiday, but I'm not sure if they really worked. Thursday morning, I worked out for 45 minutes, walked my dog right before dinner, and played Just Dance with my brother and his girlfriend for about an hour after dinner. So, a lot of exercise. However, I did eat the full-on thanksgiving dinner and I have been eating leftovers a lot. We'll find out tomorrow (when I weigh in) whether all that exercise worked or not. But no more leftovers!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I learned to take my family at face value when they say they don't really want desserts. I ended up eating more of it than I planned, but I know that I just need to start over again today!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The good from Thanksgiving was that I was able to grab one plate with a little bit of everything, and surprisingly not finish my plate. For the first Thanksgiving, I was not regretting what I eat due to stomach pain or bloating. And Im' proud of myself for still recording no matter what i have eaten.

Since our guest had a long way home and was staying in a hotel for the weekend, we got stuck wtih the leftovers. So far we have had a good job finishing them up, and I have been recording the best I can with each bite.

I learned that when you are truly enjoying yourself and involved with the people around you, food gets put on the back burner.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I learned food truly does get my husband excited. When he took the first bite of turkey he lunged at me, pulled my shirt like he was going to take it off. I was so shocked I almost went G.I Jane on him. My goodness I was in standing in front of a window with no curtains totally exposed to our neighbors. Okay, I will admit it, I liked it. :blushing:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I learned food truly does get my husband excited. When he took the first bite of turkey he lunged at me, pulled my shirt like he was going to take it off. I was so shocked I almost went G.I Jane on him. My goodness I was in standing in front of a window with no curtains totally exposed to our neighbors. Okay, I will admit it, I liked it. :blushing:

So the old wives tale is true then!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl get to ta cooking! Meow!!!!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I learned that I can still enjoy some of my favorite foods and not go overboard.
  • myoung1271
    Options
    Good Evening. I just joined this group. Anyhow, on the holiday I gave away one of the two pies that I made which was great and something I never did before. Lesson learned--the fat in the meal made me terribly sick, twice. I believe it was my husband's homemade gravy. First with the meal and then with leftovers. I know better and need to accept it.

(P.S. I am struggling to be on track but working at it.)
  • kriskerans
    kriskerans Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I took another item off my bucket list, didn't cook on Thanksgiving Day, donated my time to serve dinner in the park to homeless, sad to see a lot of family's in line, was a very full filing day, went out to eat later at Denny's, no left overs. On Friday went bowling, took out the old ball and shoes, dusted them off and went out to play, good time..:smile:
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I learned that it is absolutely impossible for me to choose between my grandpa's pecan pie and my Nana's pumpkin pudding, so of course I had both each of the nights that we ate a meal. I know it wasn't the best decision, but I think I would have regretted not indulging a little bit. I also learned that not logging for a couple of days and just relaxing and enjoying food fairly guilt free is not a bad thing, as long as it's only done on occasion that is. It was nice to just enjoy myself and not worry about what I was eating and if I was exercising enough. It was a nice break, but it's definitely back to the grind for me this week!

I also realized how extremely blessed my family and I are this holiday. My Aunt and Uncle just adopted a little two year old boy and he is the most precious thing ever. Hearing the not so great environment he was in before and knowing how incredibly loved he is now just makes me so happy. It was definitely a God thing that he was brought into our family. :smile:
    Added bonus: having a very active 2 year old and a couple of 8 year old cousins to chase around my Grandpa's pasture was definitely helpful in getting me some exercise the past few days. :laugh:
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I took another item off my bucket list, didn't cook on Thanksgiving Day, donated my time to serve dinner in the park to homeless, sad to see a lot of family's in line, was a very full filing day, went out to eat later at Denny's, no left overs. On Friday went bowling, took out the old ball and shoes, dusted them off and went out to play, good time..:smile:

I think it is so wonderful that you decided to serve dinner to the homeless on Thanksgiving. This is something that is on my bucket list and I hope to get a chance to do it one of these days. :smile:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I know it's not Sunday but I was able to have Thanksgiving - not ruin my diet, not go overboard, and I cooked enough to enjoy but not so much that I have a ton of left overs. That's awesome. No guilt about throwing food away. And I still exercised most of the week thanks to logging here everyday while I was on vacation. I am thankful. :flowerforyou:
  • ajrich1
    ajrich1 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Actually my holiday went well no cooking father in law took us out for Thanksgiving and I did pretty well. It was the days after that weren't the greatest (food wise), but I can't dewell on what I did wrong I choose to focus on what I did right. Which was a mile walk after Thanksgiving dinner and a 3.4 mile walk on Saturday. Saturday's walk was at a pace of 19.2 mins a mile.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    After worrying a bit that my mindset wasn't transforming along with my body (and afraid of regaining weight because of this), I experienced an unexpected and encouraging NSV. This is a re-post; I posted it on my newsfeed last week:
    A Little NSV Story: On Saturday, I spent some time with my extended family. As often happens, the women-folk (ha!) started disparaging their own bodies in a joking way. These "jokes" are common in my family. The comments are always related to weight, and it doesn't matter if the women making them are at a healthy weight or are overweight: the comments are always negative. I'm not sure how much I've internalized this negative way of thinking, but for the first time, I had a strong internal response when the jokes started. I thought to myself, "I love my body. I'm thankful for what my body can _do_. I love that I can move! I want to take care of my body!" Having such positive thoughts about my body was a new thing. I think this is evidence that my mindset is slowly becoming healthier and more positive. Yay!