Favourite Diet Foods?

Options
Clare0116
Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
:drinker: In my long term weight loss challenge, I have found some great foods in my local supermarkets to make tasty low cal meals and snacks, as I'm sure others have. Let's share these ideas, try new foods and make recipes tastier!
As an example, I ALWAYS like to have a jar of sliced lemons in my fridge and they will last for months. My brand is called Opies. Costing about £1 for about 25 slices and juice, with virtually nil calories and big on flavour, slices can be dropped into chilled water drinks, added to prawn, crab or salmon risotto, chicken curry, plain yogurt, grilled fish etc. Yes real lemons could be used instead but have LESS flavour, must be bought weekly and dry up if not used within a few days.

Replies

• foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love these lemons, but to be honest I use them for Gin & Tonic ( slimline of course).
    My best help is not a food but a magazine with great recipes & sensible advice. Healthy Food Guide. I sit down with these and some other books on Saturday morning, plan my menu for the week before writing my shopping list. Not only does this save calories but money too!
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Quorn mince and chicken style pieces, I find them really filling, and handy cause you can cook up a meal using it from frozen, so if I have not much in, I can whip up a bolognaise easily or some noodles. I'm not a veggie, but I think they're tastey, if you cook it right with lots of nice flavours. I hate it when people say they taste of nothing, but you add your own flavour/spice etc so it shouldnt taste of nothing!

I also eat a lot of cottage cheese, especially with pineapple pieces, i love the stuff! :D
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I saw that my mfp friends were using laughing cow cheese triangles only 25cal each. I use them instead of spread for flavour on ryvita the blue cheese ones are good
  • dididede
    dididede Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've started using a triangle if laughing cow instead of lurpak to spread my sarnies and am saving myself at least 100 cals a pop, tastes not too bad either once you get used to it eh? The only exception I find is on hot toast, tried it once but went straight in the bin. Toast requires butter and that's that. So no toast for me. Speaking of which, instead of toast I find sainsburys crispbakes a great alternative to put beans on (Heinz snap pot 159cals is great for lunch) at only 40c instead of 88 for a medium slice, result! Tasty too x
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Has to be Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt....no fat, full of protein and oh so creamy, can be used as a sweet or savoury thing....personally I love it with honey or maple syrup as an indulgent desert for hardly any cals or with chives or plain as an alternative to creme fraiche.....It's my favourite thing in the world!!!
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    At the moment it's cottage cheese mixed with some jam or a tsp of options belgian chocolate for a chocolatey dessert.
    It's also great that it really helps to bump up my protein!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    At the moment it's cottage cheese mixed with some jam or a tsp of options belgian chocolate for a chocolatey dessert.

That mix sounds really odd to me, but never knock it until you have tried as they say, for instance I saw on MFP someone praising Philidelphia sweet chilli cheese spread, but did buy some on offer from Morrison's, it is lovely on a rye crispbread, and all low cal
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options

That mix sounds really odd to me, but never knock it until you have tried as they say, for instance I saw on MFP someone praising Philidelphia sweet chilli cheese spread, but did buy some on offer from Morrison's, it is lovely on a rye crispbread, and all low cal

Ooh that sounds nice - I tried Tesco sweet chilli cottage cheese and it was so watery... I also use Laughing Cow cheese on a crispbread with a couple of pieces of ham as a snack sometimes too.

[/Adds Sweet Chilli Philly.... ohhh poet & didn't know it... to shopping list for Sunday]
  • SarahJCotton
    Options
    Rice cake with 5g low fat red pepper houmous and a Quorn peppered beef style slice :)

Rice cakes are awesome, and low cal!!
  • richUK
    richUK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Has to be Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt....no fat, full of protein and oh so creamy, can be used as a sweet or savoury thing....personally I love it with honey or maple syrup as an indulgent desert for hardly any cals or with chives or plain as an alternative to creme fraiche.....It's my favourite thing in the world!!!
    This is it! I've converted so many people to it since I was introduced to it via a twitter friend :)

I'll normally eat it plain, or sometimes with strawberries/banana/blueberries.. or even Banana flavdrops :)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    This is it! I've converted so many people to it since I was introduced to it via a twitter friend :)

OK sold to the fat bloke [me], I will look out for it on my next shop

I saw an advert for choc flavoured Philly cheese, on offer in Asda for a quid. Nil stock when I looked, anyone tried it?
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Me too!! I have the full fat version though and I have it with a mixture of berries, flax and chia seeds. I have it almost every day, it's my absolute favourite meal.
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I also eat a lot of cottage cheese, especially with pineapple pieces, i love the stuff! :D
    This!

I don't have it often, but when I do I could easily eat one of the big pots of the stuff. I'll have to check out the nitritional info, but I can see a jacket spud loading with this in my future :)
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lake Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt. I make Bircher Museli, which is porridge oats, Fage, and semi skimmed milk, mised with sultanas and a chopped apple. Leave in the fridge overnight, and it is brilliant. Keeps me full until lunchtime.

Can't remember who (sorry). Someone asked about Chocolate Philly. I love it. It tastes really chocolatey, and I have it if I fancy a sweet snack.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Another sweet thing to add to it is a sachet or two of lo cal hot chocolate powder in your favourite flavour.......simply delicious and so indulgent, yet packed with protein and no fat!!! Win win!!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

Another sweet thing to add to it is a sachet or two of lo cal hot chocolate powder in your favourite flavour.......simply delicious and so indulgent, yet packed with protein and no fat!!! Win win!!

Love this too
  • Clare0116
    Options
    Agreed, Fage brand plain yogurt is a favourite for me too and its also low carb. I like it with a spoonful of frozen berries.
  • Clare0116
    Options
    Chocolate Philadelphia cheese? YES !!!! and its YUMMY! Looks and tastes like chocolate spread. Only problem is when you live alone, the tub has to be eaten in a few days, aw forget the calories and enjoy.
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Quorn :love: chicken style fillets, mince and peppered steaks, low cal & very filling (also very easy to prepare :bigsmile: )
    Low fat plain cottage cheese, I usually mix mine with tiny cucumber slices and mint. Yum yum
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Philadelphia cheese? YES !!!! and its YUMMY! Looks and tastes like chocolate spread. Only problem is when you live alone, the tub has to be eaten in a few days, aw forget the calories and enjoy.

I love it but I finish the whole thing in a day so not buying any x