Local food ideas

seamatt
seamatt Posts: 199 Member
Anyone who has been on my friends list for a while and looked at my food diary will notice the groundhog day feel to it. I do this as it works for me to have a set routine. It breaks the 'Oh what do I fancy' within me, which eventually turns into bad food.

One of the things I eat a lot of is Chicken. Now this can get boring, but.......In the Market the sell marinated chicken breasts. They are usually 4 for a fiver but last week they were 5 for a fiver.

Now only the outside has a thin marinade so the calorie increase is negligible. I do avoid a few of them as have asked the butchers for the incidents list, and anything with the first ingredient being sugar I avoid (mint marinade for example). Having a blood glucose meter allows me to check the others to see if they affect me at all.

My favourite ones are Chinese bbq, Garlic and Rosemary, Tikka, and Mediterranean. They give me that little bit of taste variety and choice whilst being protein rich and calorie low. :)

Replies

• I like to buy the fresh fish. The quality is wonderful and there's a whole array of ways to cook and things to go with it. . . i lovee fish lol xxx
  • seamatt
    I really wish I was a fish person. I can manage fish fingers but that's about it.

I feel like I am missing out on so much, but 99% of fish I have tried make we want to never try it again.
  • nataliemelfa
    nataliemelfa Posts: 21 Member
    I love the farm shop up by Fforestfach- it sells loads of lovely veggies and supports local farmers. I tend to eat a lot of veggies (carrots for snacks, and as colorful a plate as I can get at dinner!)

I have had the marinated chicken from the market which is lovely- but I find that making my own marinades mean that I can control the sugar (which i avoid adding to anything like a law- lol!) and make them as interesting as I want with spices. All the need are some dried/fresh herbs and spices, and a splash of extra virgin olive oil (I prefer rapeseed oil!) which is nice and heart healthy, very very tasty and you can trust its healthy! Not only that but you can buy plain chicken breasts that run a little cheaper and make up the marinades in Tupperware boxes and leave the chicken in them (in the fridge) overnight! I found that this was so easy and so so tasty!!

Lots of Swansea Love xx
  • seamatt
    Thanks for that. I do occasionally do my own marinades but find the market ones to be very convenient which is half the battle. As it's only on the outside any sugar would be very minimal. I know this as my blood sugar would spike after eating it, and it doesn't :)
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Sorry I'm not joining in..... I'm a vegi!
  • seamatt
    Lava bread? Local farmers markets? Leek and potato soup? Joes Ice Cream?
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    I get lovely fresh seasonal fruit and veg from clydach market. I used to buy tons of chicken from the butcher there too but its a different blokie now who can't seem to cut a chicken portion properly. As in the last lot I had were full of bone splinters eww! The only problem is the fruit n veg is next to dinky doughnuts which puts my will power to the test something awful lol.
  • i'm very fortunate that i loathe dinky doughnuts with a passion.
    however joes is a vice.

i love cockles as well which - to my knowledge - are a healthy snack. next to no fat and very few calories

Billy Uptons in Swansea Market are good for their butchering :D beautiful meats too Jen

xxxxx
  • seamatt
    I get my chicken from Vaughns in the market.

If you ever do go in there and buy chicken, tell him you were recommended by the bloke who buys them 40 at a time LOL
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Oh, not had a Joe's in a long time....... They had seaweed in Cosmo, it was very nice too. I make my own soups as a rule but always have convent garden and heinz as a back up.
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Pack of 4 pomegranates for £1 in Morrisons., noticed it yesterday. .It's a low cal yummy superfood. Enjoy.