Insulin And Weight Gain

Options
Panda_1999
Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
I have been sticking to my recommended calories and exercising as much as I can manage, but am not losing weight. Looks like medication is part of my problem. Still gotta keep trying
Panda_1999

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/insulin-and-weight-gain/DA00139.html

Insulin and weight gain: Keep the pounds off
(MayoClinic.com) Weight gain is a common side effect for people who take insulin — a hormone that regulates the absorption of sugar (glucose) by cells. However, controlling your weight is not only possible but also an important part of your overall diabetes management plan.

The link between insulin and weight gain

When you take insulin, glucose is able to enter your cells, and glucose levels in your blood drop. This is the desired therapeutic goal. However, if the number of calories you take in and your activity level result in more calories than you need to maintain a healthy weight, your cells will get more glucose than they need. Glucose that your cells don't use accumulates as fat.

Weight gain may also be related to other complex functions of insulin in the body related to how cells use fats and proteins.
Avoid weight gain while taking insulin

Eating healthy foods and staying physically active every day can help you prevent unwanted weight gain. The following tips can help you keep the pounds off:

Count calories. Eating and drinking fewer calories helps you prevent weight gain. Stock the refrigerator and pantry with fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Plan for every meal to have the right mix of starches, fruits and vegetables, proteins, and fats. Trim your portion sizes, skip second helpings and drink water instead of high-calorie drinks. Talk to your doctor, nurse or a dietitian about meal-planning strategies and resources.

Don't skip meals. Don't try to cut calories by skipping meals. When you skip a meal, your body is less efficient at using energy, and you're more likely to make poor diet choices at the next mealtime because you're too hungry. Skipping meals also causes large fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Three modest meals a day with healthy snacks in between can result in better control of weight and blood glucose levels.

Be physically active. Physical activity burns calories. A reasonable goal for most adults is a minimum of 150 minutes a week of moderately intense aerobic activity — such as walking, bicycling, water aerobics, dancing or gardening — plus muscle-strengthening exercises at least two times a week. Talk with your doctor about activities and exercises that are appropriate for you.

Ask your doctor about other diabetes medications. Some diabetes medications that help regulate blood glucose levels — including metformin (Fortamet, Glucophage, others), exenatide (Byetta), liraglutide (Victoza) and pramlintide (Symlin) — may promote weight loss and enable you to reduce your insulin dosage. Ask your doctor if these or other medications would be an appropriate part of your diabetes treatment plan.

Take your insulin only as directed. Don't skip or reduce your insulin dosages to ward off weight gain. Although you might shed pounds if you take less insulin than prescribed, the risks are serious. Without enough insulin, your blood sugar level will rise — and so will your risk of diabetes complications.

©1998-2012 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER)

Replies

• Panda_1999
    Options
    And another point of view on how insulin works:

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    nice however I do not know of a insulin that helps with weight loss. I wish I can only lose when I am not managing so well. However finidng the median would be great
  • Panda_1999
    Options
    I didn't expect insulin to help me lose weight, but it is frustrating for it to be hampering my efforts. But it is better to know why than just wonder what I am doing wrong.
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Insulin will not help you lose it will instead slow you down. Insulin helps us keep fat by helping us process our foods. Without it most of those calories would pass right through but that is bad for us! Very dangerous!! I had Diabulimia in College and it was terrable. As I look back I cant believe I done that to myself. I will post a link about Diabulimia today. Many people dont know about it but thousands of us suffer from it and dont know it. I have had my run its with her again over the years but since I had kids being here for them is a much better option and I rather be a healthy plus size lady lol :smile:
  • Panda_1999
    Options
    I have finally lost a bit, perhaps the trend is changing :-)
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article and links.

Panda_1999, happy to hear your trend is changing.
  • JerriBeasley
    JerriBeasley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We need insulin. It's not the enemy.... but we need to control how much we require. What I mean is, if we eat fewer carbs, we need less insulin. The less insulin we use, the better as long as our numbers are under control. A diet that focuses more on protein and produce (avoiding breads, added sugars and starches) will cause our bodies to require less insulin and eventually weight loss. It's a tedious balancing game... but WE CAN DO THIS! Not taking the insulin we need just to lose weight is not only stupid, it's very, very dangerous! I'm guilty of it too... but not anymore. I want to start living... not just surviving.

Thanks for the info, Panda.