after baby's born plan for exercise?

Options
So I have been wondering what others are planning to do for getting back into shape after the baby is here. I know we have to take 3-4 weeks off exercising as our bodies need to rest, and even that is dependent on the birth and just how everything goes...

I am 38 weeks tomorrow and my lovely Dr reminded me that despite my 4lb weight gain this past week I have been doing well and am still within the 25-35lb goal, however he also reminded me I will only lose about 10lbs initially and will have to make an effort to get the rest off...

Considering I started my pregnancy a good 10-15lbs above my goal weight I will have even farther to go now, so how quickly after baby is born do you plan to exercise and what do you plan to start with??? is anyone planning to do exercises with baby?

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My plan is to get back to weightlifting and cardio stuff (swimming, jogging, cycling, etc.), but I'm going to play it by ear and be patient with it. I'm not in a huge rush.

Weight loss is about nutrition and exercise. At the very least, I can keep my nutrition under control during that time and maybe drop the extra baby lbs that way in the beginning then slowly start working back up to my fitness routine.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to take it easy at first. I feel like there's no need to rush, and just doing my daily activities like cleaning the house and walking my 60 pound husky (usually about 30 minutes a day + a trip to the dog park) will qualify as my workout. Once I'm cleared for real exercise, I'll go back to swimming laps, and I want to take all the mommy and me classes (water, yoga, pilates, bootcamp...you name it!). I think it will be fun to get my workout on while bonding with baby.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    With my first, as soon as my girly bits weren't hurting I started going on short, casual walks around our neighborhood. I was also coaching a 7th grade girls softball team, so I was standing/stretching and lightly jogging to run practices.

Once I went to my OBGYN for the postpardum exam (6 weeks) she signed off on light exercise and working my way back into doing workout videos. I loved swimming afterwards!! I wasn't as active as I should have been though and this time I plan on doing JM 30DS + a rotation of my workout games on xbox kinect (kick boxing, dancing, and a lot of Jillian Michaels)! It would be great if I could do Insanity or P90X 6 months postpardum (mini goal). I plan on using my 3 month maternity leave for spending as much time as possible with my kiddos and getting back into a good workout routine that I can actually maintain once I go back to work.

I also overate a lot while I was nursing (read: pumping for) my son. I'm hoping to do better at sticking with a realistic caloric intake. I need to find the sweet spot for weightloss and keeping my supply up.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've been day dreaming about working out hard core again since 2nd trimester. hahaha I started jogging a few months before getting pregnant and I really LOVED it! Considering it will be 20 degrees and below where I live. After getting an Ok from the doctor around 6 weeks pp. I will start off my excersise by jogging circles in my open basement like I did last year. Once it warms up I will start jogging outside. As for strength training I found an amazing website fitnessbender.com that I was doing few times a week. Also got my elliptical too.. I always workout out with the kids.. My son (4yrs) loved running next to me( or would ride his bike when we were outside) & now that my daughter(soon to be 2) is walking/running am sure she will be joining us too at least for inside exercise. As the newborn is in the swing next to us. And I'll be getting a double jogging stroller for the outside. I also want to take up bike riding during the summer. So i'll need to get one of those bike trailers.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I will probably just start off doing my elliptical..it will be cold and its the most convenient thing that I have for getting exercise lol but I really would like to do insanity once I'm 100% :-)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Since there will be middle of the cold Canadian winter, I will be doing only exercise at home. I have an elliptical, and I want to hop on a few weeks after delivery. I really miss th weight training and I hope that after them 6 weeks pp checkup, I ' ll able to start Jillian michals no more trouble zone DVD again. I want to do that 3 times a week for 4-6 weeks than moving onto p90x again around 3 months pp. however I keep an open mind, because it is all depend on the recovery.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'll be making an effort to do daily walks & including our dogs initially. Then I plan to start up P90X again and just doing what I can of the exercises (more the weight workouts for now, and cardio when I feel up to it).
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started walking as soon as I was home from the hospital at 3 days pp (on basically doctor's orders). I was very lucky to have an easy delivery and recovery, minus a bladder infection 2 weeks pp. At 3 1/2 weeks, I went back to the gym, very very very light weight lifting and slow cardio stuff. I started back playing hockey at 6 weeks. Now at almost 9 weeks, I do an intense cardio circuit class at the Y, swim laps, play hockey (not as much as I would like), and still walk the dog while wearing my little man. I would love to do P90X again, or Insanity, but it just hasn't happened yet.

I think its all about how you feel after. I have a few mom friends that are still not feeling super great, and others that were more intense than me about getting back to working out. I started the pregnancy almost 30 pounds heavier than I would like, gained 33 pounds, and have lost those 33 pounds already. I'm really hoping to lose more weight in the near future.

Don't worry too much about the weight; enjoy the time with baby while you can!
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I plan on walking with the baby and dogs until cleared for more stenuous activity. I then plan on doing the JM 30 day shred, then start onto her other DVDs and do some swimming (once it warms up). I was doing this pre-pregnancy and was loving the results!! =)
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Once I'm cleared, I'll just start with walking and likely some pregnancy DVDs which include handweights for about a month. After my body has adjusted to that, I'll add back in weights/zumba/etc. I'd like to do a P90X/Insanity hybrid when I feel up to it, but hopefully by 6 months! Going to take it easy on the timeline so I don't hurt myself, though.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Assuming no extraordinary medical issues arise, I plan to start walking after a week or two. I mean really light walking here.. It will be Jan or Feb so it might be a bit cold but I also have a small gym in my condo that I could get away to while baby is napping. My MIL can come and watch the baby if DH is not around..
    After I get the all clear from the OB I plan to do JM's 30 Day Shred. It really worked well for me last year. It's quick but if you put in the effort it can really help tone you up.
    I plan to breastfeed so I don't know how much I can restrict my calories.. I will have to do some research into that.
    I should add I started at 5'9" and 140.. already up 36lbs so I'll have quite a bit to lose!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about nutrition and exercise. At the very least, I can keep my nutrition under control during that time and maybe drop the extra baby lbs that way in the beginning then slowly start working back up to my fitness routine.

^This :happy:

Additionally, with my first, I lost 20 pounds in the first 2-3 weeks postpartum. That seems to be the trend that a lot of people mention the "How much weight have you gained?" thread, as well as from what others tell me.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I also overate a lot while I was nursing (read: pumping for) my son. I'm hoping to do better at sticking with a realistic caloric intake. I need to find the sweet spot for weightloss and keeping my supply up.

After my first was born, I continued to eat like crazy (I didn't care what I ate during that pregnancy and gained a ton of weight), justifying it by saying that I needed it to be able to nurse/pump.

This time, I know better! It's said that nursing/pumping eats up about 500 calories/day. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but I think finding the "sweet spot" mormonmomma mentioned is going to be my biggest challenge!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks postpartum and had a big second degree tear. I just started being able to walk 30 mins without any type of pain within the past week. Even though I didn't have a very big baby belly (current pic is me on my due date), I still have the odd day where my upper abs are a little sore even though I haven't done anything to work them. Once I'm cleared for regular exercise I plan to use the stuff I have at home (30DS, pilates dvds, stability ball, bosu, exercise bands, weights, huge binder of workouts saved from magazines), and I hope to get to the gym once baby is old enough for their child-minding program, or try to squeeze in a visit before/after DH goes to/gets home from work during the week. We don't have family near by, so if the gym thing doesn't work I'll be limited to home workouts.

I agree with others that weight loss and diet/nutrition go hand in hand. Also agree that everybody is different, so exercise will be dependent on how your body is recovering.