My squat

Options
Kuritaki1
Kuritaki1 Posts: 32 Member
This is my thord week of SL. Today, I just could not squat anymore. I increased to 65. I have not been advance the weight on squat much faster as I want to. My knee is feeling fine (my left knee has been bad & flares up as I do zumba), but my gluteus got really painful. I felt it as soon as I start just never had this kind of muscle pain as I lift weight before. I did 2x5 then, I had to move to OHP. Should I had push through? Well, my butt even did not go down lower than my knee level.

I feel really bad that I did not even finished the rest of 3 x5. I thought I was going to Deload some weight. Then, finish squat. But, I knew I could not even squat without any wight after that. Is it ever happen to anyone? Or am I the only one have weak thigh and legs?

I can do bench 75 pounds, and I can not even squat 65!!! I feel defeated!! (Well, I have been doing bench 55 pounds forever as a part of old lift routine.... So no wonder)

I have been wanted to advance squat like you all strong ladies! But I had not much, and I got muscle ache even when I start squat without weights!! But I guess I need to move slow with my squats. What do you all think?

Replies

• sprinkels29
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I have never had so much soreness (well its been awhile) I think if you fail 3x you go down 10 pounds or 5 pounds until you can do that for the full 5x5. I did my first day, was so sore I ended up taking 2 days off in between. I went last night and thought I was going to die but added 10 pounds (to my bare bar) and then pushed through I thought I would be in pain town today...but I woke up great! I actually felt better today than I have in 3 days. Are you stretching? I really did some good stretches yesterday as well.
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I have never had so much soreness (well its been awhile) I think if you fail 3x you go down 10 pounds or 5 pounds until you can do that for the full 5x5. I did my first day, was so sore I ended up taking 2 days off in between. I went last night and thought I was going to die but added 10 pounds (to my bare bar) and then pushed through I thought I would be in pain town today...but I woke up great! I actually felt better today than I have in 3 days. Are you stretching? I really did some good stretches yesterday as well.

Sprinkels29, Thank you very much for your response! I am grateful for this group and support. I would not know how to keep going without this group. Ok, I think I needed to increase my weight to 2.5 pounds (not 5 pounds). So I would go back own to 55 pounds for the next session. Then, I will move up to 57.5 pounds. I will see what will happen.

Yes, I have been stretching. But I confess I have been doing another butt weight lifting other days when I do not do SL. So I probably should rest between. It is really hard for me not to do much. Even though my weight lifting day, I feel like I should do more. It is hard to switch my mind from cardio queen to weight lifting & eating!
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    RIGHT? I look down at my calorie counter after SL and I'm like....I need to go run but then I realize I'm waaaayyyy too sore to run. I'm trying the Couch to 5k app on my off days starting today since I feel so much better. But Medhi says not to do any other lifting since the 5x5 is supposed to be complete. It's def weird being done after 30min lol
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    I know!! One day I tried one hour zumba after SL. I really felt it in my body after that. Since then, I do not do any after SL day. I still do zumba every other just 2 days a week. But feel weared because I used to do swimming & zumba almost everyday. Then, I did some machine weights afterword. But SL is totally different. I have to be very serious when I do it. I am scared (if I can lift well or not), but excited at the same time!!
  • Kuritaki1
    Options
    I know!! One day I tried one hour zumba after SL. I really felt it in my body after that. Since then, I do not do any after SL day. I still do zumba every other just 2 days a week. But feel weared because I used to do swimming & zumba almost everyday. Then, I did some machine weights afterword. But SL is totally different. I have to be very serious when I do it. I am scared (if I can lift well or not), but excited at the same time!!
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I decided to go really slow on squats too. I got up to 135 lbs and was so excited to be able to put the big plates on. Then, I had a sore neck. Prior to that I had pulled a muscle in my groin. My form got super sloppy and I was not even hitting parallel. So, I backed off quite a bit and went down to 3x5 for squats only. I am now doing 115 lbs and have done this for the past two workouts. I will advance to 118 or even 120 only when I feel I can do my 3x5 sets with good form and comfortably.

I think everyone advances at their own pace and while this is a great program to build overall strength, you may need to modify it to suit your goals/body.

Keep up the great work!
    Jackie
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Check your food intake, I lift more and heavier when I eat more calories or more meals in my case as I do not tend to count calories at all strictly...also check hydration levels...being slightly dehydrated makes for poor performance. If you are stalling for many days or weeks at the same weight then move over to the madcow system and increase more slowly. Smaller ladies tend to lift lighter...slowly does it...