adult weighted hula hoops

Options
Has anyone tried the weighted hula hoops? I think it sounds like fun, but I've also heard bad things about bruised kidneys and back trouble. I did find a hula hoop that is padded (Amazing Hoops.com) but it is expensive. Also, I have heart problems and have heard it is intense cardio. I am not really that interested in the dvd's and things, because I don't see how I could do it in the house anyway. I just want to go outside and hula hoop, like I did when I was young, even if i am 52 years old today!

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have an older home-made one. It is fun! I haven't used it nearly as much as I thought I would but I have brought it to partys and people enjoy playing with it. Happy Birthday!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am a complete and ultra failure at hula hoop, but got pretty good at the "Wii Fit" imaginary hula hoop! I say just buy a cheap kid's one and give it a whirl!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Kids hula hoops are really hard for adults and that might be why you feel like a complete failure at it. You may find a more reasonably priced weighted hula hoop at a sporting goods store. I got one for a friend for about $26 a couple years ago . . .
  • Rosezilla
    Options
    Well, I actually went in Wal-Mart yesterday and tried to hula-hoop with a child's hula-hoop. I didn't do very well, although I thoroughly entertained a small boy who was fascinated with me, lol! But I've heard the weighted ones are actually easier to keep up.
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried the hula~hoop with weight in it and it was so hard to do:huh: . But if it is the light hula~hoop Well i am able to sill enjoy hooping! The last time was afew months ago I was hooping on the bar at " coyote ugly":noway: :blushing: It was toooooo fun!!! :bigsmile:
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got a weighted hula hoop for Christmas last year.I think that it is actually easier to keep up because of the weight. It is quite a workout. I started using one at a gym actually. You have to use it a little at a time til you get used to it. My sides above my waist were sore for a while.I think that it is like using any muscle that hasn't been used for a while.I have to confess that i have not used it for some time now. I go to the gym 5 days a week,but now that i have been reminded that i have it i think that i'll start using it again along with going to the gym. Good luck.:wink:
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hula-hoop and love it. They offered a hula-hoop demo at work. Was not very good at it, however I got better. I even bought a DVD from the gal and it is a fun workout. I like to do the hula-hoop if there is a TV show on I want to watch. Keeps me moving.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It looks like a great, fun workout, but with my back (slight scoliosis), I think I'll give it a pass. I'm finding pilates and yoga are the best for me.