No DOMS -- is that odd?

Options
sharfisher
sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
Hi, I am about week 4ish and I am puzzled a bit -- I don't get sore muscles from squats. I used to do Jillian Michaels (:blushing: am I allowed to say that on this forum?) and got sore from the squats and lunges everytime, with just 8lb dumbbells. Why am I not getting sore? I wonder if it's because I am going to parallel on squats, so more hamstring-glutes and less quad.

I do get lovely soreness in back muscles I never knew I had though, from rows and deadlifts.

squat 95
OHP 45 stalled
deadlift 135
bench 55 stalled
rows 65 stalled

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't get sore at all anymore unless I miss a work out or two in a row and then go back to it... I think your muscles just get used to it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I always wondered what the hell DOMS was...as I never have had it lifting heavy...I do get aching in my armpits when I do proper pull ups though...but that is about it...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had it wicked bad when I first increased my weights, but hardly at all any more. When I went from 30-35 on OHP, I could barely shave my armpits. Now I'm almost twice that amount and it doesn't bother me.
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always wondered what the hell DOMS was...as I never have had it lifting heavy...I do get aching in my armpits when I do proper pull ups though...but that is about it...

Yeah I had to google it...delayed onset muscle soreness...
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any either - 2 completed weeks of Stronglifts. I keep active on my "off" days though - stretching, walking, etc. I've never been someone who gets sore from exercise usually anyway. I can feel it while I'm doing it for sure though! I also make sure I get plenty of protein and I do take fish oil supplements.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    As your body adapts to the stress of lifting, the less your DOMS will be. That said, being sore is not an indicator of a good workout.

It's very rare I'll get DOMS in my upper body. I used to get it pretty bad in my lower body, but since I've increased my leg workouts to 2x week, I rarely do anymore.