Squash... The best winter food ever!

Hey guys! I thought I would go ahead and post a topic for our new group. I was just thinking about what I packed in my lunch. One of the items being half of a roasted acorn squash. The way my mom used to roast it when I was a kid is delicious, however it also involves butter and brown sugar! Here's my new favorite way to prepare it that is much more health conscious...Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves skin down in a baking dish with a small amount of water (1/4 in.) in it. Sprinkle squash with a small pinch of kosher salt and pop in the oven for about 45 min. to an hour. The squash should be tender when poked with a fork. Now that the squash is cooked, all that is needed is a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Play around with infused oils and vinegars! My current obsession is cinnamon pear balsamic vinegar and blood orange infused olive oil. Putting these flavors on an already delicious food really brings it to the next level. Acorn squash is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and beta-carotine. It is also a good source of thiamin, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, iron, manganese, iron, fiber and omega three fatty acids. Hooray for squash!!!

Replies

• LOVE squash. Spaghetti squash is really good too, and super easy to make.

Same thing as the acorn squash, just cut it in half and place it in a baking dish with some water. When it's done, you can sprinkle it with seasoning and scrape it out of the shell (just like spaghetti). I like to top mine with roasted veggies (peppers, onions, zucchini, etc.). It is delicious!