Lifting and protein

Options
Hi! I stumbled across some information about how lifting heavier and fewer reps more sets is better than the traditional 3 sets of 10 (which is what i've been doing and have been at a stand still) So I started doing 4 sets of 6 and increased the weight this last week. Then somebody told me about this group. I am wondering what types of lifts you do and how much weight I should be doing?? (right now I'm only squatting 115 three sets of ten, so wondering how much I should be increasing this by when switching to fewer reps) Also, I know everyone has their preference but does anyone know of any "scientific" reasoning to if it better to do cardio before weights or weights before cardio? (this summer I was barely lifting and running a lot, so definitely needing to add in some strong lifts, if you know what I mean!) And I know I should be eating a lot of protein, but other than the typical eggs, meat and protein powder what are some other foods packed with protein?

I also discovered www.hundredpushups.com and started that and am already seeing results in a week not just in my arms but everywhere else! I'm pretty sure pushups and squats are where its at, but looking for some other suggestions on exercises, right now this is where I'm at:

Some type of cardio - 10minutes-2hours (2 hours was this summer, been a while since i've ran that much, but the reason I really need to hit the weights)
Pushups
Dips (with 2 benches and 25lbs)
curls
Arm raises (not really sure what the correct term is but holding arms straight at sides with weight and raising them without bending elbows)
Squats
The awkward hip adducter/abducter machine (I call it the thunder thigh machine)
Lunges
Side bends with weight
Leg lifts (adding ankle weights now!)
crunches
planks
twists

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well, stronglifts as written is only 5 compound lifts. You can read tameko's sticky post summary for the details, but it's:

Workout A:

Squat, bench press, barbell (Pendlay) row.

Workout B:

Squat, overhead press, deadlift

I see a lot of single joint exercises in your routine. If you can do lunges after squats, you might not be doing enough weight on the squats. Properly done squats should work everything lunges, the adductor/abductor machine and leg lifts do/does.

The side shoulder raises without bending elbows is only working one joint - overhead will work it, too, with actually less chance of straining the shoulder.

Dips, pushups and planks are good ancillary exercises, keep those.

cardio/lifting.

I can't do cardio on my lifting day. Maybe, maybe a 30-40 minute walk at 3.5-3.8 mph.

If I do cardio before, it affects how much I lift. And after, I'm too wiped to do anything else.

On non-lift days I try to do some light yoga or cardio. I know some people here are running on off days.
  • Lovable12
    Options
    Oops I should have specified.. I split the workouts between mwf and t/th, so I would do squats mwf and lunges t/th... On days I lift I don't run as much... maybe 40 minutes tops so its more of a warmup - at least the way I was lifting before, we'll see after increasing the weights...

I will definitely have to look more into that post to see how to do some of those (especially barbell pendlay row, I dont know what that is :( ), I agree about the single joint ones, I would like to add more ancillary as I seem to see more results from those as well.

What are good ways to increase the weights for abdominal exercises? or good ab exercises period? My biggest problem area is my arms though and that "armpit fat" which I'm not really sure how to get rid of lol

I still find it amazing how so many people are getting over 100 g of protein a day! I tried this in the past and ended up eating a ridiculous amount of calories and gaining weight like it was my job :( (not in the good "oh you've gained a lot of muscle and don't look like you've gained weight" way either lol)
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, tuna, salmon, yogurt, low calorie string cheese, cottage cheese, potatos, almonds, rye bread, whole wheat bread.
  • ishtar13
    Options

What are good ways to increase the weights for abdominal exercises? or good ab exercises period? My biggest problem area is my arms though and that "armpit fat" which I'm not really sure how to get rid of lol

Yes, please read tameko's summary.

Stronglifts is a full body program 3x/ week. Every session you work everything, with only 3 lifts, only 5 sets of 5 reps (although some of us have gone down to 3 sets after reading Starting Strength or getting to higher weights)

Squats, deadlifts and overheads will work your abs.

If you really feel you absolutely have to work abs in addition to that, planks or Pallof press (http://www.ericcressey.com/exercise-of-the-week-pallof-press) .

To make planks harder, do variations, such as a side plank. More variations here (http://military-fitness.military.com/2011/08/ten-plank-variations-for-perfect-toning.html) , but just google "plank variations" and you'll find tons.

And with Pallof Presses, you can add weight.

Sometimes, if the mood strikes, I'll do cable wood chop (just because it seems like a functional exercise to me). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbscBF209CY
  • ishtar13
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to address the arms.

Fat will decrease as your body composition changes. The bench press, overheads and rows will work your arms, and you're already doing push ups and dips, which are great for that.

Again, if you feel you absolutely, positively have to do more than that, tricep press downs with a rope and cable and look up "skull crushers" for another exercise.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do resistance 5x a week. In fact, if you are a beginner 3x a week is the recommended amount. Maybe 4x but only where the fourth day is more cardio heavy circuit type work.

If you are on a deficit (dieting) then 3 to 4 is really the max. Anything more than that is just going to be exhausting and not very productive. Your muscles need recovery time. Since you are new to this stick to 3x for now.

If you want to follow a program, sl is a good one and as others have mentioned there is a sticky with a summary. If you want a program custom built for you I can recommend a trainer who does online consultations at a reasonable amount. You can also look at a book called "practical programming for strength" to learn to create your own programming or a book called "new rules of lifting" (there is also a "for women" version) that has both a program laid out and a lot of descriptions of the different kinds of "major" movements that most good programs are built around.

For protein - I just chose to eat foods that are higher in protein when I can. So eggs and turkey sausage instead of pancakes, for example.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I often get in 100-140g protein from eggs, salmon, chicken, greek yoghurt, peanut flour, bench press oats(contain protein chunks), nuts, chickpeas, beans,seed bars and cottage cheese. I never seem to have an issue there. Just a tub of cottage cheese can add up to about 22g, and a serving of greek yoghurt is about 18g.
  • JBG1987
    Options
    I often get in 100-140g protein from eggs, salmon, chicken, greek yoghurt, peanut flour, bench press oats(contain protein chunks), nuts, chickpeas, beans,seed bars and cottage cheese. I never seem to have an issue there. Just a tub of cottage cheese can add up to about 22g, and a serving of greek yoghurt is about 18g.

Peanut flour and seed bars...interesting.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and SL on the same day (cardio first) and I'll well aware that both were suffering compared to if I were just doing one or the other. One day in going to go in and see how much I can squat when I've not just run 3-4 miles or biked 8 miles!