Barefoot running shoes

Options
I was wondering if anyone has a pair of those barefoot running shoes and if they are as beneficial to your joints as the reviews suggest?? Like these: http://www.buyvibramaustralia.org/images/manufacturers/100019.jpg

Thanks

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pair yet and really don't know why I am waiting. :) I went to a seminar a while back by one of the Gait Guys (gaitguys.com). He said he felt that the minimalist trend was not a fad, but a trend and a good trend IF your calves had the strength, endurance and flexibility (my word, do not recall his) for them. He said too many people go from their think heels to these too quickly and get injured. With a typical shoe your heel maybe 15mm (again, my numbers) off the ground and then all of a sudden you are 4mm off and your calf has to be able to elongate to accommodate. Maybe I will go shopping tonight :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the whole barefoot phenomenon is to promote a more natural stride (which certainly makes sense if it can reduce injuries) and if you look at the rates of injuries sustained by runners despite all of the development in the world of running shoes (they haven't changed much over the years) there may be something to it.

If you decide to go barefoot / minimalist (I haven't yet) introduce the changes gradually in fact one of the coaches at my tri club suggested that, as an interim step, a zero drop shoe (padded mid-sole so not minimalist) might be worth trying.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from Nike Frees to Merrell Dash. The Nike had a flexible sole and I thought that I did a good job of mid-foot striking. When I switched to the zero drop Merrells, it was a world of difference. Definitely go slow. My calves were very sore for the first 2-3 weeks, and I injured the tendons in my right foot from pushing too hard in them. I love them, and I will never switch back. But please start slow and build your mileage up gradually. The ortho I saw regarding my tendons said that they get very little blood flow and it takes time for them to adjust to changes in the drop of your shoes.