December - the Month of Holiday insanity!

Options
vendygirl
vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
December already! Geesh. Didn't we just start the November?! This whole time goes faster as adults needs to stop.
My goal for this month, get back to working out slowly (since the back is slowly on the mend), hopefully get into the 180's! I am so close.... 192.2... come one I can get there right?! even with all the holiday parties? eeeeek... Maybe I should restrict my calories more this month to try and keep it in better check. Who knows. I just don't want to gain. I need to be careful. I can celebrate and still loose! I Know I can!

Already have plans for New Years and it involves all cooking at a friends house so I have that holiday in Check. Christmas is another story. Going to the in-laws so unless I step and do some of the cooking I will be at their whim! I can do it and with my sister-in-law there we can totally double team them. :D

What is the game plan for the rest of you folks?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My holidays tend to be pretty laid back so not usually a high danger zone for me. It will be basically one big day and that's it. Other than that we might go to Vegas or skiing. Or both? So those would be more dangerous for me treats wise - although not really, as we walk SO much.

Anyone making any awesome holiday goodies? Healthy or not?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make a ton of not-healthy treats. We have a gathering where we all make cookies together, and I still have leftover pie crusts from Thanksgiving to make another pie!

I think my goal is just to maintain. I'm good with that.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    we have a few big dinners with family - christmas eve/day with my family and my husband's. it's like 48 hours of pure gluttony, but then its' all over. and i'm pretty good about indulging primarily on green bean casserole and (wait for it) sausage and cheese balls. i'm not a christmas cookie fanatic, unless they are chocolate chip and everyone tends to do a repeat on the pumpkin pie, which i'm not a fan of, so i'm okay on the desert front. my issue will be picking up a box of little debbie christmas tree cakes everytime i'm at the grocery store and wolfing them down! blast those christmas tree cakes!!!

went to my first psycho-lady specialty in about seven months or so. just about killed me. and psycho-lady is about one week from having her baby, so another instructor named lisa has been filling in. but she definitely earned the psycho-lady title. but, man, did it feel good to be back! happy friday, everyone!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Today is my FAVORITE holiday party. My car hole guys (the guys that work on my car in my friends garage) are having the party. Love it. Not frufru decorations just food, lots of food (mainly meat based) and Dave is the BEST pastry chef ever! I was sooo close to having him do my wedding cake but didn't want him to have any pressure so I decided against it.

I also had a victory today! Okay not so much as a victory but I am glad my husband finally went to my Dad for his teeth (he is a dentist) because my suspicions were right, the lady he went to was fishing for money. My husband went to go and have his teeth cleaned and she stated he had two cavities. Okay so he goes to get the cavity filled but then is sent home with a "you are going to need a cap on the other one". Now I am no dentist but this sends off warning bells. Why put a cap on tooth and not FILL the cavity? So when my husband starts to say his bite was off because the filling was too high I urged him to call my Dad and have him just grind it down a little (this is common). Well he did, thank goodness, and my Dad told him that the work that was done was ****ty and that a cap is totally unnecessary. He also took an xray of his tooth and found a cavity that she missed! Needless to say my Dad was pissed at this poor dental work and my husband was also pissed as well. Thankfully seeing my Dad now has broken "it would be weird to see your Dad for dental work". The looming cost out of pocket this rip off dentist opened his eyes. Phew... My husband is also calling his friend who recommended this lady to tell her she is ****.

My husband told me I get 3 "I told you so" but I don't want to use them. I hate ****ty dentist as well.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Happy December everyone! My Decembers are always insanely busy. At school, I put in numerous hours producing a big Christmas musical with around 200 kids, I play the piano for a Nativity Play, and my handbell choir performs for a Lessons and Carols service -- all within a two week time span. In addition to that, I play for Christmas gigs many evenings and weekends. This weekend, for example, I have 2 concerts, a rehearsal, and a church service in 3 different cities. I've still been finding time to work out and have been sticking to my twice weekly weight training sessions. It's hard sometimes to fit it all in, but I've found that if I slack off on exercising, I start to feel run down and tired. Staying in shape really helps to keep me going through the looooong work days.

My husband/trainer has me trying out some different, more intense exercises in the weight room and I've dropped a little weight as a result. I never thought I'd see the scale displaying numbers in the 110s! I'm now the lowest I've ever weighed as an adult. When we get out of school for Christmas break, I'm heading up to Indiana to see my family for a week, and I'm sure I'll gain those pounds back plus a few more. When I'm around them, I tend to fall back into old habits of eating lots of junk. :ohwell:
  • tameko2
    Options
    You're in great shape Bass, I'm sure a few days won't add much more than water weight.

Vendy - I drive REALLY far, and make my husband drive there too, to see our dentist. Its shocking how many awful dishonest dentists there are. They just don't care and they know that anything they mess up now they will get paid even more to fix later. Plus they know you have no way to tell if they are lying or not. And I notice a good dentist will always try for the least aggressive option FIRST, so anytime someone tells me that they have to go get a bunch of caps or crowns I tell them to go see mine before they spend the money.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    You're in great shape Bass, I'm sure a few days won't add much more than water weight.

Vendy - I drive REALLY far, and make my husband drive there too, to see our dentist. Its shocking how many awful dishonest dentists there are. They just don't care and they know that anything they mess up now they will get paid even more to fix later. Plus they know you have no way to tell if they are lying or not. And I notice a good dentist will always try for the least aggressive option FIRST, so anytime someone tells me that they have to go get a bunch of caps or crowns I tell them to go see mine before they spend the money.

I KNOW! I hate these dentist! Granted I know what sounds insane and what doesn't because of my Dad but at the same time people should question their dentist. Hell people need to question their Doctors. They don't know EVERYTHING. Docs should give you a few options and only take the last drastic measure after you have exhausted all other options. Most Docs hate me at this point in life because I ask WHY like a 2 year does. :D
  • tameko2
    Options
    With doctors I feel like its mostly laziness and lack of problem solving skills. When you go to school for 8 years getting a degree that primarily involves memorization, you're good at spitting out rote answers but BAD at understanding why why why. And the doctors who do wonder why end up in research.

With dentists I feel like its just pure dishonesty. Maybe because the way their practices/insurance are set up rewards dishonesty whereas a doctor's tends to reward laziness and so you just see the behaviors that are most heavily rewarded. Doctors get paid best when they hand you a prescription and shoo you out the door. Dentists get paid best when they do the most expensive procedure possible, and since from a labor perspective is sort of the same amount ofwork (not quite I'm sure but still having to numb someone up and dig around in their mouth for an hour) a lot of them probably think "might as well put a cap on this and make an extra hundred". Plus I'm pretty sure tricky fillings are way WAY more work than a cap. I broke off the back half of my molar and my dentist managed to do a filling but it was hard work. Would have been way easier for him to just grind the rest of the tooth down.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    so, the scale is actually moving down a bit, which is pretty cool to happen in december - usually it's the opposite! i'm only working out between 3 and 4 days, about 45 minutes to an hour a pop. this is vs. this time last year, when i worked out 5 to 6 days per week, about 90 minutes to 2 hours a pop. we'll see if i can still lose weight but not work as hard. well, maybe just as hard...just not as much. hope to keep up the trend! have a great week, everyone!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    so, the scale is actually moving down a bit, which is pretty cool to happen in december - usually it's the opposite! i'm only working out between 3 and 4 days, about 45 minutes to an hour a pop. this is vs. this time last year, when i worked out 5 to 6 days per week, about 90 minutes to 2 hours a pop. we'll see if i can still lose weight but not work as hard. well, maybe just as hard...just not as much. hope to keep up the trend! have a great week, everyone!

This is probably because when you were working out 2 hours a day, you weren't eating back enough calories. Losing weight is a tricky thing -- eat too many calories and you don't lose, eat too few and the same thing happens. Many people unknowingly eat below their Basal Metabolic Rate which slows the metabolism. (There's a whole 8000+ member group on here called "Eat More to Weigh Less" and it's full of posts from people that learned the hard way.) There are all kinds of complicated math formulas for figuring out your BMR, TDEE, how many calories you need, etc. I'm not a numbers person, so I personally used the trial and error method and found the magic number of calories I needed to lose weight. It appears that you've found your magic number too. High Five!