How do I maintain it?

Options
Hynes13
Hynes13 Posts: 34 Member
I have been using a 10 week program to train for a half marathon which is not until May next year. I can now run the 21.1km's required. My question is - How do I maintain my ability to do this for the next 6 months? What kind of distances and how often should I be running per week in order to do this?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The more you can run the better.

If the question is what is the minimum to maintain then you need to do a long run of 13 to 15 miles not less than every three weeks. The rest of the week should be a minimum of 2 shorter runs, probably around 4 to 6 miles. On the long run day between the 13 to 15 milers an 8 to 10 mile run would be good.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Good question - liked seeing Scott's answer. I like the idea of being ready to run a 1/2 at the drop of a hat. Right now, I run 10 miles every Saturday, and 10-15 during the week (2 5-6 mile runs and at least one shorter run). Guess I need to work up to some longer Saturday runs every few weeks. I DO have a goal of running 15 miles by the end of the year. I ran 100 miles last month, and plan on at least 100 for December too.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I keep myself in half marathon shape (or better year 'round). I keep my weekly long run up ~ 14 - 16. That way I'm ready to race a half at the drop of a hat and I can be marathon ready in ~ 8 weeks.
  • Hynes13
    Hynes13 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. This has helped me a lot. Happy running to you all!