C25K in the first trimester???

Options
aprilkida
aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
Okay, so I've always wanted to become a runner, probably influenced by my avid runner father. I remember going to all his races and helping out when I was a kid. He still to this day runs about 6 miles a day at least 4 times a week. Yet, running has NEVER come easy to me, though I've tried to pick it up many times. Four weeks ago I decided to start doing the couch-to-5k, before I found out I was pregnant. I was so excited to start a program that could gradually get me from only being able to run about a 1/4 mile at a time up to a 5k in 9 weeks. Now I am 5 weeks pregnant and still going with the C25K. I would really love to complete the program and I had already signed up for my first 5k (before I found out I'm pregnant). I am kind of conflicted though. I feel like this is such a good thing for me and keep me in shape and get me to where I want to be, but at the same time I am worried that I might push myself too hard and hurt the baby. I know that if I get to the point of pain or sheer exhaustion that I will back off a bit, but what if I don't realize it soon enough? I know they say that if you are already a jogger that it is safe to continue. But what about doing a C25K when you haven't been much of a jogger before? Has anyone done this or have any thoughts? I will of course ask the advice of my fertility doc, when he does the first ultrasound in 2 weeks, and again to my midwife at my first appt. in 3 weeks, but I'll already be to the point of running 20 mins straight by the time I even get to ask! Running 20mins straight frightens and excites me at the same time!

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Running/ jogging is perfectly safe during pregnancy. I actually did insanity during my whole first trimester before finding out that I was pregnant, so running is actually lower impact. While running or jogging, you do have to be mindful of your heart rate during pregnancy. My midwife recommended staying below 155 since I was already fit. I am almost 22 weks and I still do Zumba and jog a few times a week. I have found that the farther along that I get, I am doing more jogging/ walking intervals to keep my heart rate safe. If you don't already have a HRM, I would recommend investing in one. Good luck!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Running/ jogging is perfectly safe during pregnancy. I actually did insanity during my whole first trimester before finding out that I was pregnant, so running is actually lower impact. While running or jogging, you do have to be mindful of your heart rate during pregnancy. My midwife recommended staying below 155 since I was already fit. I am almost 22 weks and I still do Zumba and jog a few times a week. I have found that the farther along that I get, I am doing more jogging/ walking intervals to keep my heart rate safe. If you don't already have a HRM, I would recommend investing in one. Good luck!

Exactly what I'd suggest.

If you have energy to do it, do it. Just be mindful and careful not to fall or trip.
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks gals! I do have an HRM but I need a new battery. Time to get on it! I've heard mixed things about not exceeding a certain heart rate during pregnancy, I'm not real sure what to believe. More questions I need to jot down for the midwife!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I did it and I'm fine!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks gals! I do have an HRM but I need a new battery. Time to get on it! I've heard mixed things about not exceeding a certain heart rate during pregnancy, I'm not real sure what to believe. More questions I need to jot down for the midwife!

My OB suggests for someone who has NOT been working out to keep their heart rate under 140. Anyone who has been working out should pay more attention to the level of exertion and overall how your body feels. As long as you are still comfortable, not getting overly warm and not having any types of cramping, fatigue or dizziness that you can keep going. It would be good to confirm with your doctor though.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I did high intensity exercises my whole first trimester and actually kept up my running until I was about 28 weeks pregnant. By that time though i had to mix up walking with my running but the C to 5k is totally doable in the first trimester. Also about the heart rate maximum it is actually different for everyone. My midwife told me to kee mine under 160 since I was already so active. I would just talk to your doctor and give them an idea on what your current heartrate is and they should be able to give you some guidelines