HRM or other device when walking with Leslie

MIM49
MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
I know calories burned during exercise is dependent on many factors such as body weight and the intensity or work put into a workout. I know Leslie's workouts are much more than "just a walk" so calories burned while working out to her DVD's are probably more than what charts calculate for a regular walk (such as walking 2 miles in 30 minutes.) Has anyone tried using a HRM or Bodymedia Fit or other device while "walking with Leslie"? If so, what DVD did you do and what were your calories burned? Frankly I am old, lazy and hate to exercise but I woke up one morning and realized I am NOT immortal and if I want to add some years to my life I had better lose weight and improve my fitness. Plus my husband has retired and we would like to travel and traveling won't be much fun if I am too fat and out of shape to walk. So I am dieting (over 80 pounds gone--for good!!) and I have started "walking with Leslie". However I would gain more incentive and encouragement if I knew how many calories I burned while doing so (I have never been one to work for free--the bigger the paycheck the more eager I am to work) So I am wondering if from others experience if a HRM or other device gives a close guestimate of calories burned doing Leslie's walks and is, therefore, worth buying.

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss!! Well done :drinker: .
    I do not have a HRM so I can not answer your question, however Walking with LS DVDs have made a huge difference in my life. So for me the "payoff" has been priceless. As far as cals burned I just guesstimate and usually go with what MFP gives according to the mph of the walk. Or I just use the 4 mph and go with it. It has worked for me so far.

I hope that you find the information you are looking for and what works for you. Keep walking strong.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MoCrafter
    MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
    Hello Mim,

I just saw your post. I bought an HRM a few weeks ago. It is a Polar FT4. I love it. I have 2 of Leslie Sansone's videos. I alternate them with my other videos. I looked back at my notes and found how many calories I had burned when I used each of them. a little info about me: I am a 54 year old woman, now weigh about 192 lbs. I am 5' tall, so I have several pound yet to lose. Now on to the info you asked about.

Leslie Sansone: Walk Your Belly Flat (3 mile walk) - 43 minutes long, burned 275 calories.
    Leslie Sansone: Walk and Kick (form of kick boxing) - 33 minutes long, burned 176 calories.

I hope this helps you a little. By the way, great job on the weight loss.

Winona
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Hello Mim,

I just saw your post. I bought an HRM a few weeks ago. It is a Polar FT4. I love it. I have 2 of Leslie Sansone's videos. I alternate them with my other videos. I looked back at my notes and found how many calories I had burned when I used each of them. a little info about me: I am a 54 year old woman, now weigh about 192 lbs. I am 5' tall, so I have several pound yet to lose. Now on to the info you asked about.

Leslie Sansone: Walk Your Belly Flat (3 mile walk) - 43 minutes long, burned 275 calories.
    Leslie Sansone: Walk and Kick (form of kick boxing) - 33 minutes long, burned 176 calories.

I hope this helps you a little. By the way, great job on the weight loss.

Winona

Thanks for replying. I am 63, 5'2", and weigh 228.6 as of this AM (started at 310#) My goal is 130# (possibly 120#--I need surgery to fix a humongous ventral hernia and the less fat on me the better.) I hate exercise but I know I have to do something to increase stamina, tone, and the extra calories I burn will allow me to eat a little more. So far, since I have no idea how many calories I am burning during my Leslie DVD workouts I don't "eat them back". I am hoping either a HRM or perhaps a BodyMedia Fit will give me a more accurate idea of how many calories I burn. (I tried a Fitbit but I felt there were too many inaccuracies in the date it supplied me so not worth the $$) Therefore it would be helpful to hear from others that use a device while working out to their DVDs.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    I use a polar ft7 and have been walking to LS videos since '01 and use all the tools she does. My burns are not as high because I've gotten toned hence I have to work harder for my burn. I belong to her walk club which will be shutting down this month and was told that for every mile you burn it's approximately 100 calories burned but of course it depends on your weight.

Hope this helped :). Love walking to her videos regularly :). Wish you well which I know you'll do great!!