If we go over the fiscal cliff.

Options
Sooo, since our politicians have decided to act like a bunch of 6 yr olds, and not DO anything about the looming financial disaster, I"LL do something. If nothing is done, and we have our taxes increased, I will NOT buy anything in 2013. That means:

No vacation (Sorry continental, car rental companies, hotel companies ect)
No repairs/upgrades on my home
No new car (sorry GMC)
No buying additional property (sorry local economy)
No new clothes (sorry local retailers)
No excessive travel (sorry gas companies and random roadside restaurants)
No cable (sorry comcast)...but i'll keep the internet
No gym (sorry)
No charities (nothing extra)
No fast food (sorry Wendy's)
No lottery tix (sorry Powerball)
No expensive coffee (sorry Starbucks)

Just to name a few. The ONLY things that will be bought will be food and personal items. I'll need to save the rest to pay taxes...
US economy: Epic F A I L

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Your list adds up to thousands and thousands of dollars. How much to you think your taxes will increase??
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Mine will increase about $2300 give or take. This is mainly just to protest this bs that's going on in our government and congress. I'm so tired of reading about how wasteful they are with taxpayer's monies. It's frustrating.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    How does penalizing yourself (and businesses you might have patronized) constitute a protest of the government? I promise they won't care or notice your money not being spent.

I agree that the government has wasted our money, though I suspect we'd diverge on what we consider wasteful. And what I can't fathom is why people are so focused on making sure that the wealthy aren't taxed. Trickle down just doesn't work.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Isn't that the truth! Trickle down economics has been proven ineffective. These "job creators" don't use the extra money they don't pay in taxes to create more jobs (they are mostly created overseas), they build bigger houses and more cars. A lot of their money also goes towards personal investments. Trickle down was supposed to help everyone, but it's not doing anything but making the rich richer, the poor poorer, and eliminating the middle class (I'm included in that). I'm not so much punishing myself as telling myself that the government is not going to get one extra penny of the money I earn....more like trying to punish them.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think you are not the only one who will cut back. A lot of people will need to. I for one will have to.
    I think the politicians deep down know this and are playing a game of "chicken". The some GOP guys know that
    if they just cave in and say "okay, tax the rich millionaires" than they will lose the support of their lobby groups. Simple as that.
    That is why they make up some story about "it will hurt the small business to raise taxes on the rich".

So they play chicken. And when it is 12/31, they concede and say "I had to see guys? I had no choice". They will still endure wrath but they will ultimately look better to the lobby guys.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Taking away lobbyists from GOP camp = No fiscal cliff

Problem solved.