Mom of Newly Diagnosed Child

Options
Hi! I'm a mom of 2 and my youngest was diagnosed on Monday with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm glad I found this group. Could really use the support.

Replies

• milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a mom of two also. My oldest has ASD (he's 4). Feel free to add me!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! My 5 year old daughter has ASD (PDD-NOS). There are a lot of autism parents on MFP who are awesome support! :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi Add me if you like. i have one with ASD who is now 12 and two more going for diagnosis.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I am a mom of two kids as well. My son is 17 and has high functioning autism. I also have a daughter that is 14, which is more of a handful than he is...haha! No really, they are both great kids! :flowerforyou:

I am also a para in a integrated preschool in our district. I work with preschool kids on the spectrum.

Feel free to add me!:heart:
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can add me too if you like - I have a 12 yo son with Aspergers and ADHD.
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    Hi, I am the mom of 15 year old twin boys who were diagnosed with autism at age 3 (I knew when they were 2). It is tough in the beginning, and just when you think certain behaviours are gone, they come back. We can all exchange stories or ideas and that support is what you need. Check your local branch of Autism speaks, or check your local university for an autism outreach. For instance, here there is an organization that can hook you up with doctors, therapists, or other info that you need.

The Elks Club will sometimes sponsor an Occupational Therapist to come into your home for a few months to work with your child. That really helped me in the beginning. Arm yourself with knowledge of the help out there, and you will be fine. Good luck.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have a kiddo in kindergarten who is on the spectrum.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It's great that you got him diagnosed so young. My advice is to start reading all you can on the topic. Support groups are great, too!
  • DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome I am a mother of a 4 yr old diagnosed last yr with ASD !
  • huggiebear96001
    Options
    HI! My son is an amazing young man. He is 19 (Will be 20 the end of Feb) and is considered severly autistic. He is considered non verbal, though he does have speech to get his needs met. While it has, at times, been a struggle, my hubby and I often just smile and remind eachother that WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE OUR BOY and for that, we are happy. Our daughter will move out, get married and have her own life. We will always have our son with us.
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My 10 Year old son has ASD (VERY High Functioning) - please add me.
  • Ytrid
    Ytrid Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old son has ASD (PDD-NOS), and cerebral palsy feel free to add me. I really lost track of myself trying to meet all his needs, and now trying to get healthy and take better care of myself too.