breast feeding and calorie intake

Options
Sarah1023
Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
Ok, so I've noticed a direct correlation with my calorie intake and breast milk supply. My LO is 10.5 months old, eating some solids but overall still bf about the same amount. I've managed to lose 45 of 47 lbs by diet and not much activity b/c of a torn and repaired ACL...I'm about 3 months post op, getting to run some now and increasing other activities. But anyway, my question is do any of you notice the link between cals and milk supply?? I've had less milk over the past few days trying to work on losing a few more lbs but last night ate chinese food which threw me over my calorie goal and viola...tons more milk today. Just curious!

Replies

• chigau_me
    Options
    i noticed that when i didn't eat enough or didn't eat any meat - i didn't have much milk... some of my vegetarian friends think that i'm crazy but i know my body ...
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    i noticed that when i didn't eat enough or didn't eat any meat - i didn't have much milk... some of my vegetarian friends think that i'm crazy but i know my body ...
    Yes, I just notice if I eat more calories in general, basically have a cheat day, I have at least 2 oz. more milk...that's not a huge difference, but trust me, I count every last drop of that liquid gold lol. Then my mind starts churning thinking: eat more = make more milk = expend more calories = lose more weight??? haha. Maybe not. LOL
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes! My daughter is soon to be 2 years old now, but I breastfed her the first year. I was always full full full of milk, so bad it hurt, even after 9 months of breastfeeding, but as soon as I started trying to eat better and less I went dry, almost completely dry, but when I had a splurge day I was full again. She hated it, but it did help me wean her off a little and pushed her toward food.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I definitely notice a difference in supply. Too low calories = too little milk = unhappy babies! I struggle to find the balance my desire to lose weight and my desire to have enough to feed the little guys.
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    I definitely notice a difference in supply. Too low calories = too little milk = unhappy babies! I struggle to find the balance my desire to lose weight and my desire to have enough to feed the little guys.
    Exactly!!! Im just glad to have plenty of milk for my baby girl where she is full and happy yet I've still lost 45 lbs and that's without much exercise d/t my knee/torn ACL. I think I will stop focusing on the scale for now and enjoy the remainder of my breast feeding experience and if I lose more weight than so be it.
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My LO is 18 months now and I honestly don't notice a huge difference either way, but I generally always eat around 2000 calories a day and I dont think I've gone below that during the entire time I lost my 25lbs. I would make sure you are drinking enough, and you can always try things like lactation cookies or other foods known to boost supply if it becomes an issue!
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    My LO is 18 months now and I honestly don't notice a huge difference either way, but I generally always eat around 2000 calories a day and I dont think I've gone below that during the entire time I lost my 25lbs. I would make sure you are drinking enough, and you can always try things like lactation cookies or other foods known to boost supply if it becomes an issue!
    Wow, my metabolism must be slow as a turtle. I think I would gain weight on 2000 cals per day, but prolly when you average out my intake, I'm prolly eating about that due to cheat days. I should work on that.
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah I 'get' about 1400-1600 allowed and then I add 500 to that for nursing, because even though he's 18 months he still nurses a ton. I was working out , about 300 calories , every day but not anymore lately.... so that helped.
  • KrystalHocevar
    KrystalHocevar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im struggling to figure out how many calories I should eat to lose weight while im still breastfeeding my 8 month old. I have lost 45 pounds since he was born but now am really struggling. Im 275 and 5'9. he is eating a variety of foods so some days he doesnt nurse as much as others. Any advice?
  • Sarah1023
    Options
    Im struggling to figure out how many calories I should eat to lose weight while im still breastfeeding my 8 month old. I have lost 45 pounds since he was born but now am really struggling. Im 275 and 5'9. he is eating a variety of foods so some days he doesnt nurse as much as others. Any advice?
    I'm finding the same difficulty with my 10 1/2 month old. Did you know MFP allows you to log breastfeeding under the food intake section. I learned that from one of the other ladies on this post. There is one for an older infant too. So just let MFP do your cal calculation based on daily activity then log your bf. I do the 1200, then I get 500 for my bf b/c even tho she is older she is still eating quite a bit. Ive lost 47 lbs (all baby wt) and would like to lose more especially while Im still bf, but it's been hard lately b/c I've cheated too much on calorie intake. If I would do better, I would lose more I'm sure. You can do it!!
  • KrystalHocevar
    KrystalHocevar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the same difficulty with my 10 1/2 month old. Did you know MFP allows you to log breastfeeding under the food intake section. I learned that from one of the other ladies on this post. There is one for an older infant too. So just let MFP do your cal calculation based on daily activity then log your bf. I do the 1200, then I get 500 for my bf b/c even tho she is older she is still eating quite a bit. Ive lost 47 lbs (all baby wt) and would like to lose more especially while Im still bf, but it's been hard lately b/c I've cheated too much on calorie intake. If I would do better, I would lose more I'm sure. You can do it!!

Hey Sarah, Yes I did see that there is a breastfeeding option that gives you an additional 300 calories. I just wasnt sure how to measure how many I am expending when BF so I was worried about adding too many. I decided to set my goal at losing 2 lbs a week and not adding BF calories. I've come to think I hit a wall because I was eating too little calories for someone my size and BF. I had it set at 1200, but changing my goal to 2lbs a week it raised my calories to just over 1500 and I feel a lot more satisfied at this amount. And because of all of the healthier options im eating it is sometimes too much food for me!