Flu...ARGH!

Options
Ladies, I am so upset right now, and posting this in hopes of some kind of reassurance. Here's the story:

My husband's ex-wife did not get herself or my step-sons (ages 10 and 12) vaccinated. The 12 year old was in the ER last night, and it turns out he has the flu. I am so stressed. I can avoid visiting them, but my husband really can't. Even though he was vaccinated, he could still get sick, right? Depending on the strain? I mean, I know it's less likely, but it could happen...

I called my doctor, and she said he should wear a mask when visiting the kids, and that I should not visit them.

She also said the contagious-period is like 2 weeks, so the kids probably shouldn't be anywhere near their half-brother if I went into labor anytime soon...

ACK!

Does anyone have any advice, anecdotes, or otherwise reassuring words to tell me I probably won't get sick and baby will be fine?

I am stressing.

Edited to clarify that I was also vaccinated in early October.

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think having your husband wear a mask and you being vaccinated will prevent you getting sick. Just make sure he washes his hands and arms before and after he comes home from the hospital too.

I hope your stepson recovers soon. Poor baby!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you and your hubs will be fine! Hope your stepson gets better asap!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I will have to add that it scared me when I read "Flu" and saw that it was you that posted the topic!! Whew so glad to find out it wasn't you with it!!!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my stepson is feeling better with meds. We're hoping his little brother doesn't get sick.

It's just so ridiculous that this is even happening though. My husband asked her to make sure they got vaccinated in September...he thought she was on it.

What makes it even more absurd is that she is, herself, pregnant. And now she has the audacity to be freaking out being exposed to the flu (got an emergency shot herself today...but not one for the younger boy...hmm...). Her sense of reason and logic escape me entirely.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    What a terrible situation! Hopefully by the time you go to labour , the worst will be over. Also the nurse who gave me the flu sot told me that if the mom during pregnancy gets the shot, the newborn will have some immunity too. Plus the best immune booster for your baby is breastfeeding.
    I usually do not get flu shot , but when i am preggo or have a child younger than 2 yrs old it is a must!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am so sorry! I would have your husband wear a mask around them and, as P-Rex said, wash very, very well. My husband has the flu right now because the dope put off getting his flu shot. Of course both our son and I have been exposed, but so far we've been ok (we both had the flu shot).

You will likely be fine if you got the shot (as you said, it's still possible to get sick), but keep in mind that you can catch the flu from anyone, not just your husband and/or stepson. So practice lots of handwashing in general, and you should be ok!

Also, she's freaking out about the flu now but STILL didn't get her younger son vaccinated? If I could smack her upside the head for you, I would. (No, I don't condone violence. It's a figurative smack, not a literal one.)